It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

Post subject: Re: Cannot be Bothered:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:47 pm 

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/clavier-arrangeur/roland/e-a7/petites-annonces/ here in France there is one 800€ (a good site of passionate in music)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:09 am 

Yeah but it's second hand. Not interested in second hand, and if I'd stuck to my guns I wouldn't be needing to return the SP-808. In general, second hand and OCD do not mix, at least not for me they don't.

Anyway, at least I know whether the E-A7 is suitable now, and it is, but something that just dawned upon me is that there's far too much overlap. If I was to buy another E-A7 and actually receive a new one, it would be fine, but then I wouldn't even need an SP, and that means I loose the SP workflow.

You know what though, once these two have been returned I'm going to give that little Roland JD-Xi a chance. I love everything about that synth, would be ideal for creating a compact setup, and the only thing that put me off it was that there's not many waveforms built in. So what I'm going to do is take a chance on it and hope that the waveforms that are included, are worthy ones. Certainly I've heard some beautiful flutes and strings from it, so it does at least look promising.

Don't forget the JD-Xi is fully-stand-alone editable and frankly, has the most fun and instant chord-ready sequencer I've ever seen, so if the JD-Xi turns out to be gold, I'm going to pair it up with an SP-404A.

Yep, you read that right, I'll be going for the SP-404A and not the SP-404MKII. The SP-404A (and OG and SX) are the best-sounding SPs out there in my opinion. Not entirely sure why, but I think it's a bit more than just having a better DAC, and whatever it is, it is one of the things that attracted me to the SP line in the first place, so I need to be careful not to be swayed away from that.

I also like the workflow of the SP-404A compared to the other SPs. Despite it's limitations, the workflow on the SP-404A is what attracted me to it. Unfortunately, (for me anyway) that immediacy is completely lost on the SP-808, it's a very different machine.

Considering it was the inability to resample a pattern, and the lack of panning that bugged me about the SP-404A (and that I can easily fix both of those things by bouncing to my cassette deck), I'm starting to realise that I really should have done that right from the bloody start!

At the time, it bugged me having to bounce to my cassette deck because I wanted to keep it all in a single box. But look at me now, I'm at a stage where I was planning to pair-up an SP-808 with an E-A7, so in comparison to the simpler, far more hands-on solution I had before, what I have now is an absolute nightmare when you think about it!

So basically, I'm now looking at it in such a way that I do not loose sight of what I really liked and wanted in the first place, and the SP-404A is still the only box out there that satisfies. As long as the JD-Xi also turns out to be gold (and I have a very good feeling it will) then I'm laughing all the way to music making bliss. I can buy both an SP-404A and a JD-Xi brand new, pair them up, and the total cost of those two devices still would not come to anywhere near the price I paid for a second-hand SP-808 and this (actually second hand) E-A7.

So the plan now is to start again from scratch:

- Brand new SP-404A
- Brand new JD-Xi
- Marantz SD-60 for bouncing, panning (and actual controllable tape saturation as a bonus).

I already own the Marantz SD-60.

And since I'd have plenty of cash left over with that setup, I'm also going to pick-up some (again brand new) Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, because I'm absolutely fed-up of these Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO. Nice sounding cans, but they're the opposite of "comfortable" on my ears, and I've always been curious as to whether I would prefer the Audio-Technicas anyway, so why not.

So that's where I'm at now. I'll give this 'reset of priorities' a chance and hope that it delivers, but if not then that really is it, I'm not trying anything else, not for quite some time anyway.

Last edited by SP-USER on Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:21 am 

SP-USER wrote:
Yeah but it's second hand. Not interested in second hand, and if I'd stuck to my guns I wouldn't be needing to return the SP-808. In general, second hand and OCD do not mix, at least not for me they don't.
+
I already own the Marantz SD-60.
+
And since I'd have plenty of cash left over with that setup, I'm also going to pick up some (again brand new) Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, because I'm absolutely fed-up of these Beyerdynamic DT-880 PRO. Nice sounding cans, but they are the opposite of "comfortable" on my ears, and I've always been curious as to whether I would prefer the Audio-Technicas anyway, so why not.

yeah sometimes secondhand stuff could have bad surprises
for the AudioTechnica: i own the ath-ma40fs, they're ok, i like them, but, like every monitor headphones, you have to be used to it.

ps how is the Marantz?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:56 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
ps how is the Marantz?

She's as fine as the day she left the factory in Japan back in '89 :mrgreen: