It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 pm

Post subject: What Style of Jazz is This?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:40 pm 

Are there any trained musicians on here knows what 'style' of Jazz this is?

I've been getting into Jazz on and off over the years and there's something about this track that just sounds so damn classy to me, I absolutely love it. On casual first listen I thought it might be the lyrics, but then I thought nah it's more than that, it's a combination of lyrics and the sound style. After a lot of debating with myself I finally came to the conclusion it's actually the lyrics, sound stlye and the chords combined, but not being educated on musical theory (and all the jargon that goes with it), I'm clueless as to what it is I'm 'technically' listening to. I came across this kind of stuff a few times while exploring Jazz, but sadly not often enough, and stupidly never made a note of them even when I found them (except for this one I which I love so much there was just no way I was ever going to lose it).

Would love to know if this track can be described by a 'style' of Jazz if anyone knows what it is.

So damn classy and smooth, it makes me think of cruising along in a black limousine at night with the coloured lights of the nightclubs reflecting off the car paintwork, chrome and glass, with some classy, leggy, stiletto-wearing lady as my passenger.

On hearing it I'm guessing you'll either get what I'm talking about or you won't, but on the off-chance you do, please let me know what 'style' it is if it falls under a specific style. It's an unusually long track as well at almost eight minutes in length (which passes way too quickly IMHO).

It's a damn shame Bowie didn't do more of this kind of stuff, or at least I don't think he did.

Anyway, Bring Me the Disco King:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqv-NXxIU38

Post subject: Re: What Style of Jazz is This?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
No, it isn't really Jazz in a traditional sense but there's elements of Jazz stylings and phrasing in the chord voicings and arrangements, Fm to G#, F to C minor at the intro there ...its still actually closer to Rock music though,more a musical fusion, in my personal opinion.The drums are sampled and looped for example, something youd definitely not find in Jazz, I wouldn't expect.

There's certainly Jazz purists and musicians I know who would tell you in their loudest voices "this is absolutely not Jazz " but they're usually total Jazz obsessives splitting musical hairs that only the infatuated would care about...It’s an internal,constant civil war with those people anyway.

That Bowie track in question had also been around as an idea gestating in various forms since the 1970s originally by all accounts.

Just by listening to the song I can recognise instantly that's Mike Garson on piano, a musician Bowie worked with from Aladdin Sane in 73 onwards through different phases of his career...again his Jazz background was a strong presence in Bowie's music at the time .

Parallel to the work with Bowie, Garson had his own solo career as a jazz pianist.

Go listen to the 'David Live! ' double album from 1974 recorded at the Tower Theatre ..you'll hear Bowie attempting to reinterpret a lot of his material with Garson in the band and there's a Jazz influence all over that album,coupled with the trad Rock stuff..the whole group of musicians on that particular recording are excellent too.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:51 pm 

Yeah, its pretty much Jazz-Rock. Groups like the Doors (one of the first to fuse jazz with rock), Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears etc. play that kind of sound.

Personally, one of my favorite genres to sample. Especially bands from 3rd world countries of the 60s and 70s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:42 pm 

I've seen this live version a few times now and never even noticed the absence of a drummer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlwtCkUnZHU

I must have assumed the drummer was hidden in the background darkness or something :lol:

The dude probably has a 404 stashed away along-side the piano playing that loop, but thanks for the education homie, it's very much appreciated. I'll have to look more into Jazz chords and stuff when I get a replacement for the MODX sorted. It's a real bummer it's not known as a specific style though. I've been on a which-hunt following link after link, looking into that Mike Garson dude, hoping to find something even remotely similar, but no luck. That older Bowie album you pointed out is not my cup of tea to be honest. I'm a big Bowie fan, I've a number of his mid career and later albums, soundtracks even, but not the very early stuff.

Anyway, sounds like you're a classically trained musician then bro! Must admit I envy those who have been trained when I hear various pieces of music and feel like they're somehow related, but I'm unable to put my finger on how or why it is. I really like "Bring Me the Disco King", love the style and I think Bowie's vocal is bloody perfect for it (especially the way he sings it on the album, it's like it was purpose designed to show-off his vocal style). It's a real bummer to hear it's just an 'odd-ball' track - jesus christ - should at least be a subgenre!

Another of Bowie's I really like is called "I'm Deranged", nothing at all to do with Jazz and probably just as odd-ball as the other track in some ways, yet it has a similar weird appeal to me as "Bring Me the Disco King" does.

Regards Jazz purists arguing the toss; I've seen it often but I like it. I'm a sucker for strictness and purity. It's a bit like with audiophiles, people often mock audiophiles but at the end of the day strictness can be a good thing, cause no matter how insane the lengths they go to or are prepared to pay for their gear, it all boils down to the pursuit of purity, the pursuit of perfection, and I really like that about it, especially in the analogue domain where good analogue design is an art in itself, and takes serious know-how to do well. In music I think it's just as important to be strict about what is allowed to fall into any given category, even if that means "Bring Me the Disco King" technically isn't Jazz in purist terms, it needs to be adhered to I think, so thumbs up to them.

III Green, thanks for pointing that out, I just saw your post before copy and pasting this reply. Looks like I'm going on another witch-hunt tomorrow then! In hindsight I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have used "Bring Me the Disco King" for the SPBB, even if I did notice that Mike Garson is a big Bach fan himself. No doubt if told about it, our homie Bach would probably say "Well of course he's a fan, this highly talented gentleman has very good taste in music!" - hahaha!

BTW, here's Bowie's "I'm Deranged" (Mike Garson again with a fancy piano solo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bTwXyBsteo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:01 am 

You'd be surprised, a lot of the mystery genres that we search for can easily be found under "Pop". Yeah, sounds tabooey to be touched but Pop is the final frontier for a beat-digger. I will tell you to begin to look for Pop in foreign countries because their Pop is not like western Pop. :wink:

I dig a good piano solo, especially on outros of heavy songs where you don't expect them. You might wanna peep Chilly Gonzalez for solo piano as well.

Btw, I'm Deranged lyrics, first time reading them. Didn't know it was about the devil.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:20 am 

hey retard, don't listen to that other retard ill green.

that wack ass garbage noise you sent at the beginning of this thread? no it's obviously not a jazz standard, it's obviously not rock, and it's obviously not pop

if i had to categorize it technically, i would call it avant garde
and no, that's not a cop out

it's honestly sad how lazy and loosely organized that fucking abomination is

it's trying to be several things at once and does them all poorly

it wants to be jazz, r&b, hip hop, soul, downtempo, etc. all at once while doing none of any of those things well, all to the sound of some nails on a chalkboard garbage pretentious white boy whining vocals

anyways i'm busy af for the next few days but i'll try to have the SPBB up ASAP

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:21 pm 

Dude, I knew it was you, I absolutely FUCKING knew it. I did suspect some time ago that you were Mr.Walfoff Domburg (the internet reject). No wonder you're pissed off at our "White" boy Bowie, especially since he wrote a song especially about you.

Feel the lyrics, did you? :lol:

"My name is Mr.Touchshriek, of "Touchshriek Mail Order and Fantasy". My shop sells egg-shells off the she-saws, and empty females. I'm thinking of leasing the room above my shop, to a Mr.Walloff Domburg, a reject from the world wide internet. He is a broken man. I am also a broken man. It would be nice to have company. We could have great conversations, looking through windows for demons and watching the young advancing, all electric. Some of the houses around here still have inhabitants in them. I'm not sure if they're from this country, or not. I don't get to speak much to anyone, or that sort of thing. If I had another broken man, ooh, I'd dream of something like that!"

LMFAO - Now if you don't mind, Mr.Domburg, I'm looking into what III Green recommended, but in the meantime, shut-up you filthy internet-rejected whacko, and get on with posting the next SPBB before I'm tempted to send you for MUCH more than a breast-fondling lesson from Ilsa!

Behold our "white" boy's ode to Zindan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIDGXvkLIQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:26 pm 

Zendan you are a lofi has-been reject that still begs for attention like a little girl or you may be one, so you a little bitch either way.

I don't remember talking or corresponding with you, but now you got my attention.

Dude put down the keyboard, you cry more than a pregnant woman in labor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:37 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
Zendan you are a lofi has-been reject that still begs for attention like a little girl or you may be one, so you a little bitch either way.

I don't remember talking or corresponding with you, but now you got my attention.

omg, did ill green just acknowledge that i was once something?
that means so much coming from someone who has never been shit in his life :mrgreen: <3

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:42 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Dude, I knew it was you, I absolutely FUCKING knew it. I did suspect some time ago that you were Mr.Walfoff Domburg (the internet reject). No wonder you're pissed off at our "White" boy Bowie, especially since he wrote a song especially about you.

lay off the funny mushrooms, bud

i know you're stuck in that cave with nothing else to do, but be strong!!! too many funky mushrooms will taint the sparse handful of neurons you were blessed with <3

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
Personally, one of my favorite genres to sample. Especially bands from 3rd world countries of the 60s and 70s.

So do you mean you are aware of such bands from those decades that have that sort of vibe?

See I don't have any Jazz vinyl, and I'm often wishing I had something in the style I like that would fill a whole album. I basically just want something in that style (or very close to it) to stick on the turntable and chill-out to.

Out of those 3rd World 60s and 70s bands you talk about, which of them would you say are the closest to that style across most of their album?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:55 pm 

zendan wrote:
Ill Green wrote:

omg, did ill green just acknowledge that i was once something?
that means so much coming from someone who has never been shit in his life :mrgreen: <3

:lol: You mean acknowledge you as in being the annoying little bitch on SP forums? Yeah everybody knows you and its a shame how they know you...

And please, you can google me. I googled you and its a ghost town.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 am 

SP-USER wrote:
Ill Green wrote:

So do you mean you are aware of such bands from those decades that have that sort of vibe?

See I don't have any Jazz vinyl, and I'm often wishing I had something in the style I like that would fill a whole album. I basically just want something in that style (or very close to it) to stick on the turntable and chill-out to.

Out of those 3rd World 60s and 70s bands you talk about, which of them would you say are the closest to that style across most of their album?

Off my head, for jazzy rock piano, there is Abstract Truth from South Africa and Mogollar from Turkey. They got a rock vibe but the music is folky and jazzy. Start from there and you'll dive in a rabbit hole of other bands for sure. I don't remember but I keep thinking Bunalim, they are rock but real connected with their traditions in music. So its not kids in a garage playing guitar, its real musicians in a garage playing guitar :lol:

Oh, can't forget Tetragon, they breathe classical music in rock form.

Which finally brings me to the genre once called Baroque Rock. There too will lead you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 pm 

Well I've still not heard anything like the style of the Bowie track, but you've definitely sent me down a rabbit hole with "Abstract Truth".

I was scanning through a playlist and definitely like the sound and vibe of the album "Silver Trees & Totum". Haven't listened to the tracks fully yet, but each one I clicked on from that specific album has a vibe I like. Isn't that what they call "Psychedelic"?

I don't know, or maybe it's something fused with Psychedelic!

Haven't looked at the others yet, but before I even look into it, there's a good chance I'll like the Turkish band if they produce anything like the soundtracks I hear on those old Turkish movies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:18 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
:lol: You mean acknowledge you as in being the annoying little bitch on SP forums? Yeah everybody knows you and its a shame how they know you...

And please, you can google me. I googled you and its a ghost town.

199 followers on soundcloud? lmfao remind me how long you been hanging on this site, old man?

my soundcloud link is in my signature, retard. or just google "lameflip" :wink:

IIIII wrote: