It is currently Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:42 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:42 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 364
Ill Green wrote:
I actually bought the SP404A when they first appeared. They were for $499 USD at the time but with the coupon I had and the shipping, I paid $481 USD in total. It was suppose to be my street-trooper but the Volca Sample has been holding me down since. I have yet to sell it and don't plan to. I do like the black and green look.

Ha! I knew had to be styleflip. They used a similar pattern on other devices, plus they do get exclusives on Roland gear.

Looking at the screen, it could be in the lines of the MC707, 101 and MV-1. It is wider than a normal 404 too. Also, what could be the 3rd Sample Edit button be? The other two are Start/End edit and Time/BPM edit for past SPs.

Unfortunately, it's that MV-1 display that concerns me more than anything. On first sight it might look like the classic 16x2 as used on the MC-101, but it isn't, it's some dopey new condensed format 16x2. It's literally impossible for me to buy a device with that MV-1 display on it, it has been pointlessly ruined and my OCD just cannot handle such blatantly pointless stupidity. There is no reason whatseover to condense the format of the classic 16x2. They could have used the same screen fitted to the MC-101, on the MV-1. Instead, they've pointlessly squashed the display and left the remaining area in plastic!!!

The classic 16x2 would have fitted fine in the same space, there is 'LITERALLY' no excuse for it!

Novation have done exactly the same on their new MK3 Keystations, and I'll never be touching those devices either for exactly the same reason. They've POINTLESSLY used that condensed format display which makes Novation as much a bunch of design fuck-ups as Roland are for using it on the MV-1. I literally don't even know what the MV-1 is, not really, couldn't even be bothered to read about it after seeing that pointlessly condensed display. The people who design these things really are not fit to be doing the job they're doing, and their stipidity, although they obviously don't realise it, must be costing them dearly because there's a lot of people out there with OCD who will avoid the MV-1 for exactly the same reason I have.

I literally have zero interest in the MV-1 because of that display, it infuriates the hell out of me every time I look at it.

The screen used on the MC-101 is fine, it's the classic 16x2 display, it isn't pointlessly condensed and works very well on the design of the MC-101. It's not suited to the 404 though. The classic LED display the 404 uses is the right type of display for the 404. It's not impossible I would want one if it has the classic 16x2, but there is no way in hell I am going to buy one if it has that pointlessly condensed version as used on the MV-1.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:14 am 
Member

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:28 am
Posts: 10
They do have to get the Vinyl Sim right which I am sure they will. I agree, just like people were looking for the OG when SX dropped. We are only seeing the faceplate, maybe the actual device and its body will be even cooler. We are only judging it based on secondary functions haha.
$499…oh boy, wonder what this puppy will cost? I bought a custom skin from styleflip not too long ago and subscribed to their channel. Its very well done and cut out which I cant say for mpcstuff which is not cut out well.
Maybe they separate start and end into two buttons or put new in/out buttons, chop adjustments etc. Totally forgot about the MV-1 but the MC707s screen is nice.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:54 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Des Moines, WA
Careful for what you wish for if Roland is going to release a SP404 mk2. You all might get more effects, sample time/memory, or possibly even 16 pads, but they’ll take away some features, or it won’t sound as good as their older siblings. Roland seems to always give & take when they update something.

Just Saying.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:51 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 am
Posts: 2791
Location: Netherlands
Unfortunately, that seems true these days. It seems they struggle with either going all-in for something good, that ends up (too) expensive. Or go for something limited within a targeted price range (which rarely ends up being 'great' to us users).

I wish they would release gear that is aiming more at high-end music production. Release an MV-1 Plus or MV-1 Pro, that has a dedicated screen or native screen output, mouse control, way more storage to mess with, allows for multiple projects, etc. etc. Basically, just be a 'modernised' MV-8800 with faster performance.

I don't think they realise what products they are competing with at this point.

_________________
"A man who misses his opportunity, and a monkey who misses his branch,
cannot be saved."

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:02 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm
Posts: 1617
Location: LAWLESS MONSTER ZONE
Phemox and Headphones out the woodworks!! :)

Good to see the old school cats from the days when lofi was just a button on the SP303! :lol:

To me, it seems it will have pitch-speed just basing off its DJ mode but probably will be only for patterns, could be wrong, we can only speculate. I do see this at around $649 USD if that screen comes like the MCs.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:59 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 pm
Posts: 881
Location: dallas
Ill Green wrote:
Good to see the old school cats from the days when lofi was just a button on the SP303! :lol:


to be fair, the term "lo-fi" has been used in reference to genre since the '90s, but it was more commonly referred to as "DIY music" back then

"lofi hip hop" though? recent development lmao earliest reference 2015 or 2016

and fuck that fool matt (bsd.u) he's a piece of shit

_________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/zendanisdead
HAWTKARL wrote:
The last thing we need is another utube sampling digital lo-fi anime beat maker.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:34 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 364
zendan wrote:
to be fair, the term "lo-fi" has been used in reference to genre since the '90s, but it was more commonly referred to as "DIY music" back then

"lofi hip hop" though? recent development lmao earliest reference 2015 or 2016

Ironic how the term "Lo-Fi" is used when you think about it, cause techically it's digital devices that are Lo-Fi compared to analogue devices, it's just that analogue devices and formats have natural variability. We're basically drawn to the characteristics of poorly designed and poorly maintained analogue equipment and formats.

It's like with photography, you can have the best digital camera in the world and slap the best optics money can buy on the front of it, the image might look pristine, but it will gererally not be as pleasing to look at as the same image shot on real film with a less refined lens. Someone could come along with one of those Plastic Holga film cameras, shoot the same scene and embarrass your pristine digital camera and lens quite easily, and anyway, aren't you lot supposed to be slaving feverishly over a Lo-Fi epic for SPBB #326?

You've only got a week so I'm in shameless 'Battle Promotion Mode' right now :mrgreen:


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:50 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 364
Ignore that last statement, I've updated the battle thread so you have two weeks now and I really want to hear what the homies here could do with that track!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:26 am 
Member

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:53 pm
Posts: 44
If the new sp can’t resample ext out + the pads at the same time…

Also they should add that Lofi comp from the 555 too. Literally an ez mode button

_________________
https://www.instagram.com/pokemang__/


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:05 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm
Posts: 1617
Location: LAWLESS MONSTER ZONE
zendan wrote:
Ill Green wrote:
Good to see the old school cats from the days when lofi was just a button on the SP303! :lol:


to be fair, the term "lo-fi" has been used in reference to genre since the '90s, but it was more commonly referred to as "DIY music" back then

"lofi hip hop" though? recent development lmao earliest reference 2015 or 2016

and fuck that fool matt (bsd.u) he's a piece of shit


Not quite, lofi was a reference for real shitty sound and was basically an insult from the 80's to late 90s. Believe me, say a producer's beat sound lofi back in 1989 and you are bound for a fight. To have the best sound quality was what all beatmakers were working hard for at the time, you strived to make HiFi.

That was the Hip Hop scene back then, the dirt came from damaged and dusty vinyl records but we wasn't thinking lofi, we just thought of the most underrated sound to shove down ears.

Lofi became a thing due to the SPs. Primarily, it was supposed to extend sample time, but it became a magical voodoo thing to use that featured on many beats and plus this community, with each one's creativity like no other forum, Lofi (the genre) was born.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:40 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Des Moines, WA
Most of the earliest Endoniqs, Akais & Emu samplers of the late 80’s were rather limited in memory and the bit rate wasn’t great. But that’s why all those old samplers are so coveted, because they have a certain sound that’s great for lo-fi hip hop. And yes, most producers once used to dig in record stores for jazz & funk records to make beats that could easily be looped/chopped/sequenced…..

Then, we all kinda know what happened. Lawyers got involved representing the artists sampled. It’s why it’s almost impossible to find albums like Paul’s Boutique or 3 Feet High & Rising full of sampled wax. It just got too expensive to clear a sample, and DAWS made more pristine productions because computers were faster/easier for the general public to make beats in the bedroom. And samplers reached a certain peak in the instrument market until they just shrunk to the MPC/SP market we have now.

There’s still lo-fi samplers out there, but they’re not as cheap or plentiful as they once were. There’s still lo-fi hip hop I’m sure out there. But lately it seems people are just content to make Trap on FruityLoops, use the same 808 drum sounds as everyone, and even scratching vinyl seems to be fading out of songs you hear.

Guess things evolve, yet somehow stay the same.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 am 
Member

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:23 am
Posts: 13
Any more word anywhere about this ? For some reason I can’t see the images and am very curious to see if Roland really move forward with the 404…


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Des Moines, WA
The MV-1 or MC707 might have to do if people need a new sampler.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:52 pm 
New member

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:48 pm
Posts: 2
I literally joined this forum to tell you how insufferable you sound. This is the whineyest post I have read in over a decade. You sound spoiled as hell and I know this will be quite the shock BUT the world does not revolve around you and you alone. Grow up! You know next to nothing about this and you are already bitching. Try having a personality besides swampthing negativity!~

SP-USER wrote:
Ill Green wrote:

Looking at the screen, it could be in the lines of the MC707, 101 and MV-1. It is wider than a normal 404 too. Also, what could be the 3rd Sample Edit button be? The other two are Start/End edit and Time/BPM edit for past SPs.
Unfortunately, it's that MV-1 display that concerns me more than anything. On first sight it might look like the classic 16x2 as used on the MC-101, but it isn't, it's some dopey new condensed format 16x2. It's literally impossible for me to buy a device with that MV-1 display on it, it has been pointlessly ruined and my OCD just cannot handle such blatantly pointless stupidity. There is no reason whatseover to condense the format of the classic 16x2. They could have used the same screen fitted to the MC-101, on the MV-1. Instead, they've pointlessly squashed the display and left the remaining area in plastic!!!

The classic 16x2 would have fitted fine in the same space, there is 'LITERALLY' no excuse for it!

Novation have done exactly the same on their new MK3 Keystations, and I'll never be touching those devices either for exactly the same reason. They've POINTLESSLY used that condensed format display which makes Novation as much a bunch of design fuck-ups as Roland are for using it on the MV-1. I literally don't even know what the MV-1 is, not really, couldn't even be bothered to read about it after seeing that pointlessly condensed display. The people who design these things really are not fit to be doing the job they're doing, and their stipidity, although they obviously don't realise it, must be costing them dearly because there's a lot of people out there with OCD who will avoid the MV-1 for exactly the same reason I have.

I literally have zero interest in the MV-1 because of that display, it infuriates the hell out of me every time I look at it.

The screen used on the MC-101 is fine, it's the classic 16x2 display, it isn't pointlessly condensed and works very well on the design of the MC-101. It's not suited to the 404 though. The classic LED display the 404 uses is the right type of display for the 404. It's not impossible I would want one if it has the classic 16x2, but there is no way in hell I am going to buy one if it has that pointlessly condensed version as used on the MV-1.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 364
I'm really flattered you created yet another account just to tell me that!
Especially as you have so many already!

Lay-off the 'shrooms, Zindan :mrgreen:


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: