It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:57 am 

TGN wrote:
Ah SP-USER, then you talk about the Wah-Effect that's inside the 404 OG? It works just like that, you can set how sensitive it reacts to the volume level of applied pads. I love this efx too.
Thought this wah efx has made it into the sx, too... hasn't?

If it will be just like ill green mentioned, you have to buy the wah efx in the roland cloud next year. Or buy now a cheap 404og instead ;)

Not wanting to sound ranty here, but cool as it sounds I'm not joining their cloud so I hope it gets added by default. The problem with those clouds is that it is the corporate's way of 'licencing' stuff to you rather than selling it to you.

The 404MKII is a peice of hardware, not software, and if consumer laws were genuinely out there to protect consumers, then these corporates would be forced to licence any purchases to the hardware using the unique hardware ID of the device, not to the user of the hardware.

If the algorithms you buy are locked and licenced to the device, I'll happily buy the algorithm, but they will not be licencing anything to me. I bought a piece of hardware, not a piece of software - the whole software licencing bullshit was sent to the bin along with the DAW!

I suppose we'll just have to see, but an effect like that really should be standard!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:05 pm 

TGN wrote:
Ah SP-USER, then you talk about the Wah-Effect that's inside the 404 OG? It works just like that, you can set how sensitive it reacts to the volume level of applied pads. I love this efx too.
Thought this wah efx has made it into the sx, too... hasn't?

If it will be just like ill green mentioned, you have to buy the wah efx in the roland cloud next year. Or buy now a cheap 404og instead ;)

If you’re in the market for a MC101/707, then the license makes more sense, because you’re paying to use for the sounds to dl anyway. But just for a new effect if or when Roland feels like making them? It’s a bit far fetched to imagine brand new owners of the 404mk2 want to pay for that privilege. It’s for them to decide if it’s worth the subscription. But software is always going to be cheaper to develop for than hardware. Back in the day of rackmount samplers, you paid through the nose for CDroms of .wav files that you fed your sampler by a SCSI cable. But they charged you $50 a CDRom of whatever you were into. It’s sorta like that, but I think Roland seems to forget we still have our old SPs. I’m not selling my collection, and even if I had a reason to subscribe to their service, I’ll find a way to keep what I downloaded, for if the license expired later, I wouldn’t want to find myself locked out of those sounds one day.

If the mk2 gets more effects that can be lost without continually putting money in their pocket, well, guess that remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:43 am 

Believe it or not but the MK2 is now making its rounds in Germany, couple of British folks got theirs yesterday. Looks like Europe is getting their MK2s now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:09 pm 

thanx Ill, i have to check lille (france, where i live) and bruxelles (belgium, where i go very often), but no rush, i just want to try the machine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:01 pm 

I been checking reddit for that info but since I was on a 3 year hiatus from there, I got cutted off from all communities except for the SP404 group, which is weird but just what I needed. And I joined the SP404MKII group while I was there which is growing as people receive their MK2s. There are also people who got their order cancelled and refunded. My guess is they ordered into the 2nd or 3rd batch and the timeframe for a business to hold your money for something not available, just couldn't meet. But what horror stories.

I just wanted to make note that the SP knobs can be replaced with various guitar knobs so don't limit yourselves to 3rd market "SP" knobs. Hundreds of designs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:18 pm 

Thanks Ill Green for pointing the universal knob thing out. Does anybody know if the mk2 is capable of receiving midi-cc-messages for controlling the efx?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:00 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
... couple of British folks got theirs yesterday.

Not me, sadly, and there was one major retailer I saw over here advertising middle of April as the delivery date, I mean bloody hell, that's not far off five months away!

I'm glad I pre-ordered now :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:08 pm 

I got my new SP 404 Mk2 today. I'm in CA ordered from Guitar Center like ten minutes after launch.

@SP-USER You should check out this podcast, Peter Brown (one of the creators) said that they will never charge for effects updates.

https://youtu.be/9k8ZT38CaWs

Fucked around and listened to some effects, but won't be able to dive deeper until late night after the kids go to sleep.

Newerstuff
http://soundcloud.com/sleeps-numb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:50 pm 

Cheers sleepynumb, yeah I watched that a few weeks back and it's good to hear they won't be charging for new effects if that's what he said, can't remember to be honest.

Cool to hear you have yours, lucky you, but just so you know, it's a tradition that when you receive a 404MKII before SP-USER, you are obliged to check the six parameters of the Wah effect to see if you can switch the LFO off and have it react to the volume running through it instead.

:mrgreen: :wink:

I'm kidding of course but it would be great if you'd check it out for me while you're going through the effects and stuff! The Wah actually looks quite sophisticated, it has six parameters (and that's a lot for a wah) so it's not impossible it already does what I hope it does, but the User Manual doesn't help because they use different terminology sometimes to Korg and Yamaha, so I can't be 100% sure what some of the parameters actually do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 pm 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

The eagle has landed!!just got mine wooo hoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 pm 

I just went to walk the dog for 10 minutes...found this on my porch :P

Attachments:
20211123_185126_768x803.jpg
20211123_185126_768x803.jpg [ 481.76 KiB | Viewed 4664 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:21 pm 

Ayyy, gunna need a tutorial out on how to change the LED load up once you get that done haha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:27 pm 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

First impressions:
The build quality is top notch its a stunning looking machine. Right off the bat ,and this is just my preference the pads suck shit lmao,they are hard as a desk. There is no play to them,even thou I prefer fixed velocity these pads are a let down. The BUS EFX PAD AND EXT PAD have a very nice feel and wish the other pads felt the same.
The screen is very nice and was worried the oled screen was gonna mess with my eyes like the digitakt did but overall oled screen is good.
Workflow is way different, this thing will take time learning all the new menus etc and I get the vibe that it doesn't have the same immediacy as the SX OR OG.get ready for a learning curve,even though I watched a bunch of mkii vids I'm still scratching my head and will have to re watch and read the manual.
Funny thing is the thing I was least hyped for was the wave form I still prefer the OG way of chopping.
Either way this machine is dope but be warned from my initial response and I could be wrong this is a whole new machine so be ready to menu dive and it will take time to get used to everything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 pm 

I agree, the pads are like rubber bricks with no bounce. I'll have to spend some time with it to see if playing those pads are delightful to digest. But if you know Maschine pads, these come close.

For any new sampler; before deleting everything in it and putting your own sounds in, I highly recommend to mangle and experiment with the presets inside. Chop them, stretch and pitch them, abuse them in many ways possible. You'll learn it faster in days than weeks. Because you're toying with sounds not yours, what do you care. But when you do sample your own stuff, you'll be doing things you never imagined.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:39 am 

LORD BEATJITZU wrote:
First impressions:
The build quality is top notch its a stunning looking machine. Right off the bat ,and this is just my preference the pads suck shit lmao,they are hard as a desk. There is no play to them,even thou I prefer fixed velocity these pads are a let down. The BUS EFX PAD AND EXT PAD have a very nice feel and wish the other pads felt the same.
The screen is very nice and was worried the oled screen was gonna mess with my eyes like the digitakt did but overall oled screen is good.
Workflow is way different, this thing will take time learning all the new menus etc and I get the vibe that it doesn't have the same immediacy as the SX OR OG.get ready for a learning curve,even though I watched a bunch of mkii vids I'm still scratching my head and will have to re watch and read the manual.
Funny thing is the thing I was least hyped for was the wave form I still prefer the OG way of chopping.
Either way this machine is dope but be warned from my initial response and I could be wrong this is a whole new machine so be ready to menu dive and it will take time to get used to everything.

Try fucking with the pad settings. I was feeling the same way then I adjusted the curve to log and it feels way better now.

Newerstuff
http://soundcloud.com/sleeps-numb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 37  Next