It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 am 

Mpc one is capable, sure!
But is it enjoyable to use?

I’m just worried the new 404 will be tied to a computer or unintuitive. I love my og and the 505,555 for the same reason. Making music is quick and makes sense to ME.
I know someone who’s much better at programming and says the mpc live is cool but has a lot of set up time and program saving/tweaking menus which makes it slow sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:41 am 

The only comment she’s responded to is one suggesting her secret is the new 404 and just left some eyes emoji, so yeah probably is

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:48 am 

jbl wrote:
Mpc one is capable, sure!
But is it enjoyable to use?

I’m just worried the new 404 will be tied to a computer or unintuitive. I love my og and the 505,555 for the same reason. Making music is quick and makes sense to ME.
I know someone who’s much better at programming and says the mpc live is cool but has a lot of set up time and program saving/tweaking menus which makes it slow sometimes.

True, but don't forget that since she reviewed it, the MPC ONE has had a whole bunch of major updates and they continue updating it. AKAI obviously see the whole MPC thing as a hardware platform and no doubt this is why it keeps getting updated.

The MPC ONE is clearly not as 'fun' or 'hands-on' to use as the 404, but after a decade and a half of users whining their heads-off about it, there is no way Roland are getting a penny of my cash if they have continued to ignore the cries for standard Pan and Pitch control for the sample pads. So while the MPC ONE might lack the immediacy of the 404, we need to remember that it is multiple times more powerful, and there are no such ludicrous resrictions for what is, after all, a sampler.

Jaytreaze wrote:
The only comment she’s responded to is one suggesting her secret is the new 404 and just left some eyes emoji, so yeah probably is

Yeah I saw it, lol, looks like she definitely has one :lol:
I hope they sent one to SPVIDZ by the way, would love to hear his opinion on it as well.

Personally though, the only thing I'm looking out for is Pan and Pitch control for each sample pad. I'd have to swallow the fuck-up they made of the connectivity if they at least got that part right, but unless they have, no way dude, no way. See the thing is, although the current 404 has no way to resample while a pattern is playing, I do believe that you can play the pads from an external sequencer and resample what is playing, am I right?

If I am, then honestly, if Pan and Pitch is missing from the new model, I'd rather buy the SP-404A and pair it up with an MC-101 so that a sequence running on the MC-101 could trigger the pads on the 404 while it resamples to another pad. At least that way it suffers none of the problems brought about by the new model, and it retains all Input Effects, SD CARD, MIDI DIN, RCA, and Swappable Storage so no soldered-in crap to worry about!

If I'm wrong in assuming the SP-404A can resample to another pad while the pads are being triggered externally, by all means let me know, but I think it is possible, and if it is and they fail to implement Pan and Pitch on the new model, I'd much rather go the SP-404A + MC-101 route than go for the MKII.

I want the MKII to come good, but I think the wording in the specs is quite evasive and disurbing to be honest. I've not seen a single mention of Pan, and all I keep seeing regards Pitch is the same dreaded "Pitch Shifting" bullshit the current model relies on. Just seems weird there is no mention of Pan or Pitch in the specs, when both those features are major wants by the 404 community.

It's a sadistic tease or they've taken no notice of the user-base what-so-ever, but I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:08 pm 

idk sometimes just get what it is you want and make do/find workarounds. Sometimes the most fun comes from making things work for you. Unless you're the one to build a machine from start to finish it'll never truly 100% accommodate your needs I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:35 pm 

But expecting Pan and Pitch control on a sampler is a given, there shouldn't need to be workarounds for that. Such features are expected of a sampler in much the same way a set of strings are expected of a guitar.

You only have to look at all that shit about "Apps" and "Clouds" to know what this design is all about. It appears to be designed to coerce users into being screwed into subscriptions on their Cloud. This is because the nasty corporate retards at Roland don't understand the typical mindset of those who go the hardware route because they have no interest in any of that crap.

And BTW homies, yet another disturbing thing I noticed in the specs is about projects. Why the fuck would it only allow 16 projects on a machine that is now menu driven and has 16GB of on-board storage? The answer of course is likely that they're hoping it will cause you to off-load the data using their "App" instead of using the SD CARD dongle bullshit (which is no doubt why they have done this, hoping you'll use their "App" and not bother with an SD CARD dongle).

I can read these corporate retards like an open book, and I know enough about physical production costs to tell you you're being manipulatively fucked-over with their connectivity decisions. It costs less to do it right than it has cost them to do it wrong, and that is all you need to know.

Corporate snakes is not sufficient a description for them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:50 pm 

Then just find a different machine that has what you want and then workaround for what it doesn’t have. And idk much about manufacturing but yes manufacturing costs are low but there’s costs for the campaign, promoters, designers, developers, sales team etc which maybe gets cuts from this final price? Idk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:23 pm 

Already have, like I said, I'll be going the AKAI route if they've failed to implement Pan and Pitch, or if Behringer turn-up with a 404 clone, it's likely I'll be going for that instead.

As far as I'm concerned, Roland are a bunch of slimey, price-fixing corporate snakes!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:52 pm 

Well then why you on a forum dedicated to roland heads?
Jeezus pal, you can keep bitchinn and moanin here if that’s what you want. But shit, you sound like you’re in a bad marriage or something. Pitch and pan, bitch and wah is more like it.
I’ve heard there’s a forum for akai Mpcs too. And the mpc one is cheap second hand, why not just get that and make some music.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:54 pm 

SP, you are one salty dude.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm 

jbl wrote:
Well then why you on a forum dedicated to roland heads?
Jeezus pal, you can keep bitchinn and moanin here if that’s what you want. But shit, you sound like you’re in a bad marriage or something. Pitch and pan, bitch and wah is more like it.
I’ve heard there’s a forum for akai Mpcs too. And the mpc one is cheap second hand, why not just get that and make some music.

Cause I am wanting Pitchings and Pannings on a 404, and that's not too much to ask bro!

Unfolding wrote:
SP, you are one salty dude.

That's what she said as I gently wiped the dribble from her chin!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:46 pm 

Well I guess the 404 junkies on here are not so observant today :wink:

It's here, and what a bunch of bastards, no Panning, no Pitching!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:44 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Cause I am wanting Pitchings and Pannings on a 404, and that's not too much to ask bro!

there is this chromatic thing, let's see what is it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:13 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Well I guess the 404 junkies on here are not so observant today :wink:

It's here, and what a bunch of bastards, no Panning, no Pitching!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Well I guess that means the sp404 is totally unusable for you now :lol:
It’s not like you could cut it to begin with anyways.

But hurry and cop the other big corporate manufacturers product instead!
After you bitch about Akai you can move onto Korg.
Clearly Yamaha and Roland can’t make a product that’s on par with your shit skills.

You poor bloke… I bet you’re amazing at the skin flute though!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:31 pm 

https://youtu.be/cEVfusiEpxU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:59 pm 

was at a beat event last night doubting wether this will ever happen and now there's a youtube premiere haha. looking forward

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 37  Next