It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

Post subject: ANYONE USING OBS ON MAC?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 pm 

hi all, new here.

im getting into livestreaming my beatmaking sessions on twitch with my mbpro. unfortunately mac users need to use some 3rd party extension (ie. soundflower or ishowu) to get the audio to work. all my gear is currently routed thru a focusrite 2i4 and the issue im having is that in order to broadcast my audio i need to switch my output in ableton from my 2i4 to a multi output device (that has soundflower or ishowu attached) which leaves all of my outboard gear (sp404, turntables, pocketoperators) unusable. been searching hi and lo for an answer to no avail.

has anyone found a workaround for this? it would be nice to be able to use my sp404 as an external audio device while streaming.

Post subject: Re: ANYONE USING OBS ON MAC?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 pm 

yoo i just ended up using boom2 by globaldelight.
it is a 3rd party thing and its only 15 bucks.

basically how i have it in ableton is:
audio input dev = My audio interface (babyface, etc)
audio output dev = Boom2 (boom2device)

then in obs i made an audio input capture set as "boom2device"

Cause my macbook is old as shit and slow as fuck i only use it as an obs machine with an ableton mastering chain for the audio coming from my outboard gear and other computer's interface.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 pm 

ay thanks for the reply, im also running everything (OBS, ableton) off an old (late2013) macbook running 10.9.

i do have a secondary machine but its a mac mini and isnt compatible with either program im running.

im also not familiar with setting up a master chain so i guess ill have to do some more research on that

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:36 pm 

word.

basically my mastering chain consists of saturation plugs, EQ, compressor, and a limiter. it isn't super necessary but I think it adds a nice final touch and helps me keep my vibe/aesthetic consistent along with taking the load off of my other computer so i can use other plug-ins.

if you dont really need to monitor the output from the macbook to OBS, i set the buffer to the max for less cpu usage and to avoid clicking. I just monitor the VU meter on OBS to make sure my levels ride between -10 to -5 dB.

also another tip that's good for streaming via obs is on the audio input capture device in obs, you can a limiter by right clicking and selecting "Filters" and then clicking on the + icon on the bottom left. It's just another good safety measure to prevent blasting your viewers from accidental peaking levels.

and if you dont know already, you can get the obs app for your iphone and use that as a secondary video and mic capture device.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:18 pm 

Kris? :D

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am 

sorry to keep asking questions! but im having trouble finding for a link to boom v1.9.2 which is what i need to run on my 10.9 mac.

am i just blind?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:17 pm 

They are at v2 now.
You could try emailing them or finding a download somewhere.
I upgraded to 10.11 on my late 2011 and it’s not too bogged down.