It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

Post subject: Hardware vs VST's and the VST's win
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 am 

Heres why and no disrespect to my sp808s and my mc909. But hardware tends to fail and manufactures abandon the hardware once they produce new stuff. Now my 808s and 909 are die hards but soon they will eventually meet their end. I have tried hard to convince Roland that they need a software version of the 808 because there is none that works like it. I have started using the 909 in my daw set up through midi but anything I record I also make a audio recording of the 909 because I know some day it may die. My plan is to eventually record as much audio of the 909 as possible. That filter on the 909 is the meanest filter out there.

Bottom line is don't sink your money on too much hardware when VST's last forever. I use FLstudio and a ton of vsts and I love it , don't miss my hardware sequencers at all. But there is no software version of the 808 that samples and loops like it does to the bpm as easy as it does. And there is no software version of the mc909 with its mean ass filter.

Post subject: Re: Hardware vs VST's and the VST's win
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:38 pm 

Hey man, just a thought, but did vst’s really win if there’s none that meet the qualities of the hardware you own? I see where you’re coming from though. When it comes to synths, I had a cz101 but shipping dealt some pretty hefty damage lol the guy didn’t pack it too good. Still worked a bit and got some shit out of it but I suppose I’d be better off if I got that Arturia vst. (I sent the cz back lol)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:46 pm 

hardware is superior
find a roland repair shop

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:22 pm 

There's a place and time for all of them.

VST support also eventually stops. Apple shits out a new OS and before you know it your programs wont get anymore updates till you upgrade your OS which could slow down or fuck your computer.

Just use what makes making music fun for you or what get the results you want without killing your wallet. music production can be an endless cash sink no matter which gear you use. VST devs will keep making v2, v3 etc and each time its 50-200$ a pop for that update.

I personally like getting hardware pieces that i know my computer would struggle replicate and i get vsts i know would get me close to the same result as a more expensive piece of hardware.

my shitty laptop wont be able to do what my modular system can do without shitting itself. but id rather drop 50-200 bucks on some eq, compression, and mastering plugs instead of a $5k rack unit and have close enough results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:54 pm 

For real for real. A good balance of everything never harmed anyone’s workflow :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:26 pm 

ok late reply. Don't get me wrong, I still have my hardware. But I just love the vst's. I guess its ease of use for me. And by the way all my Roland stuff still works fine after all this time. But sadly the Kurzweil k2500 sits in the closet, never to make a sound again. Parts too expensive. My Korg Karma is also still running fine. But then again I did replace all the buttons on the Korg and Roland stuff about the same time, I bough a ton of buttons(also known as Tactile Switches). I am about a month before my studio construction is complete, and I will have everything set up and will be using both hardware and vst's from here out. If something breaks it will join the Kurzweil in the closet. :-(