It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Post subject: Labels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm 

What are the pro's and cons from using a label for a first release (and if it is even likely for that to happen)?

And if you release a project independently, can it be re-released through a label?

Independent's cool and could work in generating a buzz to your name that would appeal to a label, but I really don't know much about this whole label thing.

Just some label stuff I'm curious about :)

Post subject: Re: Labels
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:20 am 

Fuck ‘em.

DIY.

Just be diligent, post on all platforms, and let the music speak for itself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:15 pm 

Nice take, I felt like that a lot. Would be cool to work up a collective of like minded individuals yet make different music with some sort of common foundation or whatnot. Don't have to follow through a label and their connections that way and still independently distribute music. But Im still interested in what they can do for you in terms of bookings for sets or whatever.

Who knows, collectives end up as labels themselves soon enough haha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:44 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
r4ph431 wrote:
Fuck ‘em.

DIY.

Just be diligent, post on all platforms, and let the music speak for itself.

This. 100%.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:38 pm 

Also... to prevent any misconceptions... I don't mean labels who are all on this "playlisting" shit. I mean labels that can help with getting vinyls printed, help you out with bookings etc etc. But surely there's a catch? I can't imagine a label to do all this for free? Like manage the distribution or records printed or shows n shit?

I just don't really know how all this works haha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm 

Jaytreaze wrote:
Nice take, I felt like that a lot. Would be cool to work up a collective of like minded individuals yet make different music with some sort of common foundation or whatnot. Don't have to follow through a label and their connections that way and still independently distribute music. But Im still interested in what they can do for you in terms of bookings for sets or whatever.

Who knows, collectives end up as labels themselves soon enough haha

Like, most labels will not connect any of their artists. At the end of the day, you'll end up working by yourself as you already do if you depend on a label to hook you up with artists. If you want to use their distribution, you'll have to pair up with a "big" lofi label or something. Exposure is exposure and it can always help. However, people will want to listen to your music because they like you or can establish some kind of connection with you and that's all on you and your work to be out there as an artist with your own ideias. Labels don't really help with that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:11 pm 

Hey Forest, nice insight :)

I was thinking that. Personally, I wasn't really looking into the whole "lofi label" side of things (just personal preference, though they equally still have my respect and house some great artists for sure), but something more multidisciplinary and ranging from beats, to rap, jazz bands, and all sorts of other experimental music, be it electronic or not, is what appealed to me the most. Two main examples that encapsulate this diversity in music that I could think of off the top of my head would (quite obviously) be the likes of Stones Throw and Brainfeeder, a really nice and diverse roster of artists (no way am I saying fuck it get me on them now thats a looooong way away that would need some strongggg work behind me haha, they're just examples of the variety I'm into). I think being a part of something pretty wide yet a tight niche sort of thing would be dope one day.

I have noticed quite a few artists, despite being with a label for their releases, to still have a pretty strong and communicative relationship with their listeners. Probably thanks to social media. I still think with a label, they can be their own artist with their own direction and own true projection but it probably varies and depends. Seems possible to do that alongside a label, right? I wouldn't really know though.

And facts, I know labels aren't the "cheatcode" to going places or whatever, and at the end of the day, its still down to me to make those connections and put in the work. That's something I'm already on doing and with this internet age, being able to reach out has become a lot more realistic. Making friends with other creatives who share a similar ethos is a lot better done through yourself than relying on some miracle to just spawn them to you haha.

End of the day, only person who can run these connections is myself and I'm pretty keen on at some point work up a collective community of musicians and artists across genres and disciplines in my City to surround myself with more.

Enjoyed reading what you had to write g, take it easy :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:08 pm 

That was a cool reading Jaytreaze. I believe I understand what you're saying and I actually think about that all the time.

If I think about Stones Throw, I remember about their legendary forum. Also, there are a lot of videos on youtube that were recorded on their storage. A bunch of amazing musicians smoking and doing their thing inside the label basement. Also, there are some videos or people using their recording studio. To me, it looks like a community that organized itself at some point and became a label because someone decided to try it. I don't know the story but looks like it. I'm sure all its roster isn't close friends or anything, but a bunch is and it keeps the thing glued to some extent.

There's also Run for Cover Records. They used to have a show called Tuesday with Tay. A bunch of dudes and girls working on the storage and asking Tay some questions. It's relatable as fuck and it's only the people doing their own normal thing. Being humans beings, basically. Both labels have music genre-crossing artists and I believe that it's because they are about people, art, and music. Also, they are professional, but they are still a bunch of idiots making jokes and that's the secret of life I guess.

And to make a parallel, it's pretty much like any active band. When you get 3, 4, 5, or more people that are really active in their minds on how to put stuff to work, they'll be showing their music to a lot of people. They just have a bunch of people doing things and aiming at, more or less, the same spot.

As a beat head, it's kind of a bit harder since you're on your own, usually. But if you strive for creation, you'll want to have people talk about it from time to time, and then comes your idea. There are some collectives already and youtube is actually a great place to find out what people are doing.

Honestly, man, I hope you can hook up with some cool artists to come up with something.

Time to grab another cup of coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:10 am 

the defunct Asphodel Records Label
factmag 2015 article on Asphodel Records
Asphodel Records at discogs
Asphodel Records on Wikipedia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:13 pm 

Would be cool to work up a collective of like minded individuals yet make different music

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:04 am 

Most labels just see music as a factory that just keeps the money flowing. If you fit the market they sell to, and they like you, they used to give you an advance, give you your recording contract, and were willing to promote you or help you make a music video to promote you and increase your chances of getting the public to buy your music. But, it was something that could go
South if your product wasn’t making them profit. No sales or low sales meant they dropped you. I’m sure there are sad tales and bad things that happened when their hard work was met by a meh from the general public. Maybe they had the wrong record label or producer. Maybe the music wasn’t that good, and if it was just didn’t get played on the radio, etc.

And keep in mind, all radio stations are told what to play. The radio dj is forbidden from doing a little self promotion of a band or singer they liked and wanted to play. But that’s another topic….

Then the internet made most labels obsolete. And many fell apart or got eaten up by larger ones. They’re still around, but are probably way more choosy in what they will sign & promote today.

Should you sign with one? If they’re willing to broaden your fan base, and let you make your tunes with artistic freedom, maybe. But keep in mind, you have to be what the public wants at that particular moment. Once your genre is considered boring or the public is ready for the next new sound, you’ll be bound for the bargain bin for sure unless you can maintain your fan base and ride the tide,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:57 am 

Yes, Forest got it right.

Labels nowadays are just an email address that you send beats to. You still will be the same person doing things before you got signed but now you have to meet a quote of a minimum of 100 beats a month.

The only interaction you'll get from the label is an email saying "thank you for your beats! Please keep working harder if you want that stardom among the so-called greats so you can get paid" and you do get paid but you won't see that money until certain amounts of units are sold. And when they are finally sold, it will be 2 or 5 years from now and you'll get your 2 figure check of maybe $89 USD, enough to buy a brand new PO33-KO at least, after years of hard work...

Thats labels today, slavery! You make a 100 beats a month, only to get paid for one and they will not credit you on albums, thats another contract to behold and concerns the label of giving you more money but they will keep you in the dark from that knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:19 pm 

It’s why I can’t fathom why a ton of mumble rappers all seem to think they’re rich when they get a ton of listens on their SoundCloud account. Yet someone is paying them for their studio time for lazy raps???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:26 am 

Headphones wrote:
It’s why I can’t fathom why a ton of mumble rappers all seem to think they’re rich when they get a ton of listens on their SoundCloud account. Yet someone is paying them for their studio time for lazy raps???

Thats the plan from way back in the days. Weaken and waterdown rap so the people can't rise up in new ideas, new revolutions etc. The New World Order has already been accomplished, now that agenda is called the New Age Order.