It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Post subject: Drums...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:44 pm 

What do you guys do for drums? drum packs or sample breaks? rather than a big library of drum packs or samples, I tend to sample a break on the spot whilst making a beat and just use that for drum sounds and then once im done, maybe keep like one element but the rest gets deleted of my 404 and then im onto the next beat. Not sure if maaaaaybe I should start collecting these sounds into some sort of library haha. Think my workflow could do with some changes haha

Last edited by Jaytreaze on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Drums...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:42 pm 

I typically go with packs, or one shots from seperate packs and put them together. Nothing wrong with sample breaks, im just not as good with em and prefer to make my own kits/patterns. Sometimes it is good to use both, for example using fills or percs from the break to put more realism into the drums, instead of the typical patterns we've all heard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 pm 

Since I posted this, I actually did compile a folder of drums I collected mainly being from breaks and a ton of sounds I haven't used in a final beat before haha. Some useful packs out there made a contribution to that folder to haha. Definitely did help improve workflow and just nice to have a plentiful selection at your ready

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
For me personally,all the best drum sounds were recorded during the mid 1950s to the tail end of the 1970s ..that covers all aspects of Jazz,Soul,Funk & Rock.

Not gonna start naming any particular records but the spectrum is pretty wide during that time for the sound of the kind of drums and percussion I like to use .

I seldom,if ever, use anything made after that period because theres something way more appealing about drums that were produced using analogue recording techniques as opposed to digital methods...analogue has a warmth and character that digital recording just cannot match .

And use vinyl wherever possible..that's an absolute no brainer in my book.

Again, this is just a personal preference and opinion but definitely the way for myself here .

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 am 

Yeah man I hear you, fatter sounds. Appreciate the input man!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:51 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Jaytreaze wrote:
Yeah man I hear you, fatter sounds. Appreciate the input man!

Yeah, in a nutshell..that, plus the calibre of the musicians who made the music itself .

It also coincides with a timeframe where a lot of the truly great forward thinking innovators were still alive and active within the industry,Jazz musicians in particular spring to mind regarding this, plus the legendary recording studios where a lot of that actual music was arranged,played and produced.

For myself that's the greatest time period for music in general, I don't ever think it'll be surpassed stylistically in terms of the individual performers,bands or record producers who were around and working back then .

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 pm 

Mostly breaks chopped, and sequenced, but sometimes layer in ie.kicks from a kit when the break kick lacks thump.
I'll use kit drums too just sparingly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:36 am 

as i listen to records, if a drum break or any isolated (no other instruments playing) drum hits come up, i sample it to my 404sx
i also have a few drum break records

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:41 am 

Danswift wrote:
For me personally,all the best drum sounds were recorded during the mid 1950s to the tail end of the 1970s ..that covers all aspects of Jazz,Soul,Funk & Rock.

Not gonna start naming any particular records but the spectrum is pretty wide during that time for the sound of the kind of drums and percussion I like to use .

I seldom,if ever, use anything made after that period because theres something way more appealing about drums that were produced using analogue recording techniques as opposed to digital methods...analogue has a warmth and character that digital recording just cannot match .

just btw i'm p sure everyone was still using analog recording techniques in the early '80s
i personally love the sound of drum machines recorded on tape https://soundcloud.com/zendanisdead/turn-your-lamps-down
prolly not as much as i love raw soul breaks from the '60s and '70s tho

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:07 pm 

just use whatever you get your hands on... the 404 was so good to beef up breaks! i' ve sampled only 3 vinyls in my life and no breaks in there (yes i am one of those heretics).i hope i had spare money for vinyl, coz it sounds so nice compared to overcompressed youtube or sample packs,
but you can also just make drums from anything realy, depends on the style of music you make ofc... nice accoustic drum packs, or sample shit from a mic, or the internal one or synthesize with a synth and layer with the mic. each track can be an experiment. put limits to what you do and how, so like that you may find it easier. ("today i do it like that" as if you do an spbattle) or just chop a break, start by high passing (mfx16 can do it, if you got a 404) each hit in a way that takes out just the mudd in subs and then put a lowpass on them. put some subsonic on the kick, and the snare mfx20 maybe? sounds cool? your ready! now hats are nice if you just resample in lofi and then cut some highs or whatever really. you feel the kick is not heard in the mix nicely? start point a bit later so you get the tick, then some overdrive.... hope it helps