It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

Post subject: E-Mu SP-12 Question
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:23 am 

Ah, damn. After I registered I saw that this is the Roland SP series forum, not the E-Mu SP series. Well, it's still worth a shot, I saw some old threads on the E-Mus on this forum.
So, hello. I've recently found a SP-12 in a flea market for an amazing price, the only thing is, its a derelict example. No modern service or overhaul has ever been done to it.
So, I wanted to ask: what are the common failures on these? I know about the battery and the electrolytics (that are more of a universal issue, everything this old that has electrolytics needs them replaced most of the time). But since the issues I know about are quite basic, I want to find out about the specific ones that occur on these machines.
Also, does anyone know how to 100% determine if it has the turbo upgrade without turning it on? I won't be able to for a few weeks, and if I have to sell it because of some issue, I want to be able to definitively say that it either has or hasn't got this upgrade. All of the RAM sockets in the machine are populated and seem to add up to 196kb, which is indicative of this being done. I can also post a high-res image of the ROM chips, if that's of any help.
Thank you for reading this, I really hope that I can get this E-Mu up and running, I've been windowshopping for vintage drum machines and samplers for years now, and I'm really glad to have found this one (especially for the price that I paid for it).

Post subject: Re: E-Mu SP-12 Question
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Hello and welcome dziugas2001 .

I could be wrong here but I'm not really sure if any of the members on SP Forums will be able to assist you with this as I cant recall anyone mentioning they own one of these samplers so you might possibly be better off asking these same questions over on the MPC or Vintage Synth Explorer forums.

I've seen folks enquire about the E-MU SP 12 on those particular sites before so it could be worthwhile checking out the threads there.

Gearslutz forum also may be useful for the information that you're needing.

Good to have you here nonetheless.

Hope this helps dude!

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

Post subject: Re: E-Mu SP-12 Question
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:53 am 

Hello again,
Yeah, I wrote to a lot of those forums as well. Ended up finding a site called the Emulator Archive, which documented all of the major issues with all of the old E-Mus, not only the SP series.
But that is a moot point, because I finally fired it up after replacing a broken fuse holder, and after a bit of power supply hesitation it came back to life and now fires up every time. So I guess it worked itself out.
Thanks for reading my post and the reply as well. If I ever get any of the Roland SPs (Ironically, I can't afford one right now) I will definitely frequent this place a lot more, as it seems to be a great resource for owners of any of those samplers.