It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

Post subject: Inspiration and Blocks
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 am 

Anyone else been feeling a bit foggy during all this lockdown stuff? Kinda hard to break out of it. What you guys doing to overcome this and feel more inspired? Myself, I'll listen to a beat that I really like of another musicians and recreate it, just to get more familiar with the 404sx and the process behind making that beat, good practice. Can pick up on something I'd never have thought of before and then apply that technique to a beat of my own. Always learning man.

Just curious how you guys overcome these blocks? :)
Stay safe, Stay blessed

Post subject: Re: Inspiration and Blocks
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am 

Broham,

I preached all kinds of shit on here about getting battles started for something to do. Almost 3,000 views to the post and only one reply. And that badass mofucka started up a battle.
https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26614

Being home (when i created the post) I thought I would be hardcore down to start making beats. Yet my inspiration feels stolen. I have no desire to create and what I create is not what I desire.

No words of wisdom, just wait until you feel inspired and check out the battle forum to see if the content is what you need.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 am 

Crane wrote:
Broham,

I preached all kinds of shit on here about getting battles started for something to do. Almost 3,000 views to the post and only one reply. And that badass mofucka started up a battle.
https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26614

Being home (when i created the post) I thought I would be hardcore down to start making beats. Yet my inspiration feels stolen. I have no desire to create and what I create is not what I desire.

No words of wisdom, just wait until you feel inspired and check out the battle forum to see if the content is what you need.

These are some facts. I feel you. Times like these pass though. Thank you for these words! I think what’s hard here in the city during all this is when you’re locked inside, there’s nothing to keep you busy and your mind distracted so that you can come home fresh and in a good mindspace to create. Weird shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:44 am 

In a follow up.

everything I make is uninspired and sounds like shit. I picked up another microkorg for a quick sale. I thought "I'm gonna learn this motha f*cka".
I watched a few intro videos (I love korgs matrix system on the old electribes so I thought this can't be that hard).

In between videos and playing around I came across this video from Ricky Tinez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJWFwQr6jHM

He mentions how people are feeling lack of inspiration lately. And just to turn on a machine. Which is what I have been doing, but pigeon holding myself in to what I plan to create.

This weekend I had no agenda. Just switched on the ESX and strarted f'n with samples. What I came up with was far from my taste but sounded dope.
I think he had a point, if you are waiting for inspiration it will not happen and just do what feels good.

And like another poster said why the f*ck does this forum log you off every 2 minutes. Is there a setting that cam be adjusted?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:16 pm 

[img]
Quote:
And like another poster said why the f*ck does this forum log you off every 2 minutes. Is there a setting that cam be adjusted?

Yes, ennable " Log me on automatically each visit" at the login page
and make sure cookies is enable for SP-forum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Crane wrote:

^^^ I agree.

The arena always gets me in the mood, even if I don't like what I come up with. It takes no effort to download samples and get started. If it's not worth it I can just stop, not committed to anything. I usually know after about 30 mins if it's gonna happen or not, and if not, no time wasted.

If you have a 404 or other battery-powered SP, try throwing a bunch of random samples in it and sitting down at a park (or just anywhere away from the internet), set a timer for a half hour. If after that time you are too bored out of your skull to continue, maybe it's not meant to happen today.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:07 pm 

Quote:

Yes, ennable " Log me on automatically each visit" at the login page
and make sure cookies is enable for SP-forum

Cookies. This could be the solution... I have automatic Logging enabled, but this doesn't help much...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:59 am 

Crane wrote:

one reason why people on this forum stay logged off until they need to say something is so others don't know they're lurking

scroll to the bottom of the page, and you'll see everyone who's online and which forum they're browsing

murk loar

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:27 am 

zendan wrote:
one reason why people on this forum stay logged off until they need to say something is so others don't know they're lurking

murk loar

1) This whole thread was about "Inspiration and Blocks" yet all correspondence has been about forum cookies.

2)Since this thread has nothing to do with mental blocks on forum blocks at this point. Yes, I see people log on real quick to post a reply then log off. Like it is a shame to stay on and be apart of the forum and read. I don't get it, is there a shame in "lurking".

Interested if we could get this thread back on topic and see if some fools could give more thoughts when it comes to lack of inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 pm 

I've been making beats for over 2 decades now, there have been plenty of creative blocks in that time. Sometimes instead of trying to force your way through it, it's best to just take time off, or if you must continue to try and make music, change your direction. I think sometimes musicians worry too much about trying to finish a track, even when they barely have a idea. Or maybe it's a certain sound they are trying to achieve. Regardless, working on something that just isn't working is frustrating, when it was suppose to be fun in the first place. Here's some things I've tried to change what was in my way making music.

1. Never be afraid to delete something that is working (Fuck this shit, delete it and don't look back)
2. Never be afraid to keep working on something that you hate (Finish it and learn something, get it behind you)
3. Quit listening to the style of music that you make for a while (Too much comparison can be bad, especially for beginners. How you gonna learn how to make beats if your already trying to sound like someone else?)
4. Take the time you would spend making music and put it to discovering new music (Next thing you know, now you want to make music again)
5. Try making a different style of music (There's always something you could learn to put towards your own production)
6. Fire up the machine and jam (Playing with sounds is a good way to gain skill and new techniques for when you do want to lay something down)
7. Invite some other musicians over to jam with you (If they are down and your down, you don't even have to be into the same music)
8. Take some sounds you have been sitting on and process them (Run them through the SP with FX or chop them up and save them for later, that way you're ready to go next time)
9. Organize your music, digital files, or samples (You're not necessarily making music, but your close enough when inspiration hits)
10. Watch videos or read the forums for more ideas when you're ready to produce again
11. Be patient, forcing creativity rarely works

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 pm 

Crane wrote:
Interested if we could get this thread back on topic and see if some fools could give more thoughts when it comes to lack of inspiration.

i didn't read much of the aforementioned inspirational discourse, but personally....

i've found that the greatest music i made in my life was during the most tragic and tumultuous time.

i've found great inspiration and escapism in nature.

also substances (mainly marijuana)

i've also noticed that i was more inspired and creative when i was in good health:

eat healthy food. (everything in moderation)
exercise at least a few times a week.
get good rest in accordance with our natural circadian rhythm.
spend time with friends and family.
go somewhere new.
read something new.
educate yourself.
experience....
new things.
that is the only way to create something new.

simple! :wink:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:26 am 

Man. you bitches really laid it out. Both post are full of great advise.