It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:28 pm

Post subject: MPC 1000 Keep or sell??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:02 am 

What up fellow SP users. I bought a used MPC 1000 from my music store for about $650. It took me most of the summer to pay off, but when I got it home, it just sort of sat there. I couldn’t figure out the most basic features. How to assign .wav files to pads, how to speed up a sequence, how to sample, etc. I thought I could figure it out, but I barely touched it. Bills came, put it in the pawn shop, and just kept renewing it every 3 months.

Then yesterday, I lose my job. They gave me my weeks work, plus 53 hours of vacation time I never used, and decided to get it out. And I’m still clueless on using this thing, kind of have enough samplers as it is, and I have to find work. Messing around with the MPC just seems like too much of a chore. I could try to flip it, OR, keep it around in case the damn Corona virus makes finding work a bitch, and I need to pawn it again. (Would prefer not to again tbh).

So, should I sell or keep it? It’s got JJ. 3.16, 2 Gb card, and the previous owner must have upgraded the pads. So it’s legit. I was thinking of seeing if another music store might take this in for a trade for the new MPC 1 that just came out, that I might do better with. But maybe I should just sell it & hold on to the cash in case of a major emergency.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you’re interested, I would prefer to flip it for $500+shipping, (which doesn’t seem unfair). If you have a legitimate reason to keep this, I possibly could, depending on why. I know in theory it’s a great sequencer for Midi, if it makes better beats than the SP404/505/ST224, that might tempt me to keep it.

Sorry I’m rambling. But I kinda don’t know if this is worth it.....

Post subject: Re: MPC 1000 Keep or sell??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:57 am 

i think that it dipends on your workflow
i had an mpc1000 in 2010, i used it as sampler (not midi), i found that the process to do stuff wasn't for me...ironically it share the same process (load/save) as for my beloved st224, but, again, i found that the workflow was too slow for me for what i do
ps
sorry for the job story, sort of same s**t here

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:16 pm 

Yeah, I know there’s power in this puppy, but I just don’t get it. If using a SP is child’s play (easy to sample, assign what pad you want to where, add fx, etc), then the MPC is like Trigonometry to me. I thought it couldn’t be that hard...But it is, and I can’t wrap my brain how to do what I want it to. I guess I don’t have the right friends to show me the ropes on this thing. I guess I can stumble through YouTube tutorials and see if it’s going to get any easier. But it feels like I should probably just sell this at a loss.

So think I will put it on Reverb.com but you all have dibs on it if you pm me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 am 

For what you paid for it I would recommend downloading the manual, paying the $20 for a 128 ram chip and learning the machine. The mpc is a staple for a reason.
Like you, I like to try out different units and keep the ones I want, and I have found that the best way to learn (the basics) of the machine is to use it in a beat battle.
Loops current beat battle going on is perfect for playing with the 1000 as it is open for all machines and the only sample to cutup is some dope bass riffs.

Also keep in mind your 1000 can be used to control 16 other machines, you are not going to get that out of an sp.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 pm 

The 1000 is dope. I make most of my beats with it. I use jjos2xl that's the OS I recommend. jjos3.16 is the free version. you should upgrade or if the original owner already bought a password for the paid jjos, you should be able load os3 or os2xl for free.

The way you put samples on pads is by making programs and assigning samples to programs. There is also a computer program called mpc maid where you can create and organize mpc programs on the computer and load them on your cf. The programs treat the samples like synth patches so you can edit the volume envelope(ADSR), two filters, Pitch and envelopes for the filter and pitch of your samples and sample chops. Also an LFO can be put on the Envelopes for extra flavor.
frfr the 1000 has a learning curve but once you get it, it can be what ever you want it to be. you can get intricate with the sample editing, sequencing and mixing or make beats real rough and quick. you can make your own workflow once you understand the features. so here's my pros and cons

Pros: Many editing capabilities, Powerful and flexible 64 track sequencer, Dope pad interface for live playing, Synth like sampler, CD quality sampling, Powerful Midi Capabilities as Slave or Master
Cons: CD quality sampling, learning curve

If you want to chop breaks and sequence drum beats definitely keep it. if you want to make any type of electronic music that's not lo-fi hiphop I say keep it. The 1000 is incredibly versatile. but if you're into more of the sp style lofi hiphop beats you don't need it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:43 pm 

Oh shit it’s NJ

My favorite color is oh my god bitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pm 

NJ killz Niggaz wrote:
The 1000 is dope. I make most of my beats with it. I use jjos2xl that's the OS I recommend. jjos3.16 is the free version. you should upgrade or if the original owner already bought a password for the paid jjos, you should be able load os3 or os2xl for free.

The way you put samples on pads is by making programs and assigning samples to programs. There is also a computer program called mpc maid where you can create and organize mpc programs on the computer and load them on your cf. The programs treat the samples like synth patches so you can edit the volume envelope(ADSR), two filters, Pitch and envelopes for the filter and pitch of your samples and sample chops. Also an LFO can be put on the Envelopes for extra flavor.
frfr the 1000 has a learning curve but once you get it, it can be what ever you want it to be. you can get intricate with the sample editing, sequencing and mixing or make beats real rough and quick. you can make your own workflow once you understand the features. so here's my pros and cons

Pros: Many editing capabilities, Powerful and flexible 64 track sequencer, Dope pad interface for live playing, Synth like sampler, CD quality sampling, Powerful Midi Capabilities as Slave or Master
Cons: CD quality sampling, learning curve

If you want to chop breaks and sequence drum beats definitely keep it. if you want to make any type of electronic music that's not lo-fi hiphop I say keep it. The 1000 is incredibly versatile. but if you're into more of the sp style lofi hiphop beats you don't need it.

So in other words, it’s the JJ 3.16 that’s letting me down? And I just need to pay to get it upgraded? Hmmm, I would if I were still working, but I don’t think that’s anything I can do right now.