It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
 Post subject: Re: SP-404 MK2?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:13 am 

Yesterday i found a strange behaviour on mk2, maybe a bug:

I have on both busses (1+2) the efx FILTER + DRIVE active. I can change Filter Cutoff, Resonance and Drive independently on the busses, but when i change the filter type (LPF, HPF...) on one bus, the type of the other bus changes, too.

Can anybody confirm this behaviour? I am on the latest OS (2.0).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:39 pm 

TGN wrote:

I have on both busses (1+2) the efx FILTER + DRIVE active. I can change Filter Cutoff, Resonance and Drive independently on the busses, but when i change the filter type (LPF, HPF...) on one bus, the type of the other bus changes, too.

I’ll test it out when I get home. Wish roland would implement efx presets like on the 555. It’s already on the 3+4 busses why not 1 & 2.

But i’ve experienced similar glitch/error/bug when using the EQ on bus 1 & 2 however it doesnt happen all the time and it might honestly be operator error because the busses and the efx selection in general can be a bit confusing at times

https://soundcloud.com/spliffsoldier
https://rickjones757.bandcamp.com/

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:11 pm 

spliffsoldier wrote:

I’ll test it out when I get home.

Thanks man, this would be great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:32 pm 

TGN wrote:
spliffsoldier wrote:

I’ll test it out when I get home.

Thanks man, this would be great!

Just tried it out, and it happened every time, unlike the EQ.

https://soundcloud.com/spliffsoldier
https://rickjones757.bandcamp.com/

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:55 pm 

Nevermind, just checked deeper and they didn't fix either of those workflow issues.
Maybe they should since both issues are pissing-off so many users!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm 

Well I did it, I bought another MKII and for once have some good news.

First off it's all working, but secondly it feels nicer to use this time around than it did last time. I think it's because there was no gap between me using the 555 and buying this MKII, whereas before there was a gap of a few years between me returning the 404A and getting the MKII.

Seems Roland have listened to a gripe I had about the knob mode as well, cause it factory defaults to 'Jump' mode now. I really felt for people not realising the importance of 'Jump' mode on a 404 so it's good to see they changed that (thanks Roland).

I really wish they'd add a 'Touch Wah' though, man, I'll never get over that one :(

Still not sure what they added regards audio recording, not unless they're just refering to the maximum sampling time per sample. Still, 60 minutes is the maximum sampling time per sample now, which is perfect really cause you could hold a whole album on that nevermind a whole track!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:06 pm 

TGN wrote:

spliffsoldier wrote:
Just tried it out, and it happened every time, unlike the EQ.

Same here and I'm using a MKII running version 3.0 out of the box. If I put an Equalizer on Bus 3 and 4 and adjust the settings for either of them, the settings are being duplicated to the Equalizer on the other Bus.

Definitely a bug, repeatable too, so I'm surprisesd they haven't fixed it in 3.0.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:57 pm 

Wow, I was just reading the reference guide and apparently it's meant to be like that:

Roland Wrote:
"The effect parameters on this unit are shared in common with some buses to which effects are assigned. For instance, the sub-parameters of effects assigned to INPUT, BUS 1 and BUS 2 are shared in common. For this reason, when you assign the same effect to INPUT and BUS 1 and then change the INPUT FX sub-parameters, the BUS 1 sub-parameters become the same values. The effect parameters are likewise shared between BUS 3 and BUS 4 as well."

So it's not a bug, it's meant to be like that. However, if you don't want it to do that then all you need to remember is how they've grouped the five effects modules which is as follows:

Group 1 = Bus 1 FX, Bus 2 FX, Input FX
Group 2 = Bus 3 FX, Bus 4 FX

All you need to remeber is that putting identical effects into the same group will cause their parameters to be shared and therefore, if you don't want that to happen, simply make sure you assign the effect to a different group. For example putting an Equaliser on Bus 1 and Bus 2 or Buss 3 and Bus 4 will cause thier parameters to be shared in sync. But putting an Equaliser on Bus 1 and Bus 3 or Bus 2 and Bus 4 will keep their settings independent.

I was wondering what benefit could be had from this system, and actually there are two benefits. The first benefit is that using for example an Equalizer with shared parameters would give you extra boost because you have one EQ going into another and because the same parameters of both are being edited in sync, that means you can edit them as if they were one.

The second benefit is that it's optional, so it's better you have the option that not. If you'd rather not use it that way then all you need to do is remember the groupings pointed out above.

It still needs a Touch Wah though, I'm just saying. And that Touch Wah needs to be put on the main busses so that we can actually resample through it! Same with the Amp Sim effect. It does have the SP-555's Amp Sim effect, but what's the point in putting it only on the Input EFX? How on earth are we meant to resample through it?

No such limitation with the Amp Sim (or indeed any) effect on the SP-555 because all effects can be resampled through!

Come on Roland, please, stop fucking around. If it's perhaps a CPU limitation then why not give us a setting in the options so that we can swap one of the Main Bus Effects with the Input Effects so that we can resample through them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:22 pm 

Attachment:
Korg Effect Name Fuck-Up.jpg
Korg Effect Name Fuck-Up.jpg [ 186.44 KiB | Viewed 63182 times ]

Wow, it looks likke Korg might have seen my rant, they updated the wah to the right type (thanks Korg)!!! :D

They've forgotten to update the name though, because these parameters and the accompanying description describe a 'Touch Wah' not an "Auto-Wah". They've even mentioned that this is used for Funk! Yeah exactly, it's why Roland have fucked-up big time giving the 404MKII a stupid Auto-Wah instead of a nice'n'funky Touch-Wah!

So while Roland could giggle to themselves for Korg being bumb enough to call it an "Auto-Wah" (thereby shooting themselves in the foot for fuck all because it's actually a Touch-Wah), just remember that Korg get to laugh at Roland for being dumb enough to omit a Touch-Wah from what is essentially a Hip-Hop oriented beat box!

The fun you can have resampling through a Touch-Wah should not be underestimated, and if Roland ever wake up and give us one and put it on the main busses so that we can resample through it, you'll understand why I rant so much about it not having one!

I'm not bitter though, not today, cause the only reason I was reading the OPSIX manual again in the first place is because I was intending to buy one again. The lack of a Touch-Wah is the main reason I sent it back in the first place, so for me the OPSIX is an absolute no-brainer now that they updated it.

Come on Roland, PLEASE give us a Touch-Wah, we can't have those MPCs out-classing the SP when it comes to funkiness!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37