It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:39 pm 

the MPC1k is probably the best MPC you can get these days based off price and features. The 25K has a couple more nice features but nothing that makes it worth $1500 more :) (thats a whole nother MPC1k and a Synth !) But I would still take an SP606..or even an SP303 over it. I think the SP303 is a better sampler than any MPC ever was or is. MPCs have always smoked the SPs in the sequencer department but SPs take the cake as "samplers"

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:17 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I like mpcs too, but let's all face it, the mpc holds weight as sequencer and not a sampler. But the 606 gives your more sampling options and better effects and the only thing it lacks in comparison to the mpc is it's sequencer but the hip hop and dance music that most of us make is pretty simple versions of nice 4/4 break so the sample compositions underneath carry the rhythm.

Post subject: sp606 vs mpc 1000
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:37 pm 

606man have you ever owned an mpc 1000 or used one with the new jj os if so than what your saying has some weight but if your just hatinn cause the 606 is your machine of choice than that some bullshit you were spittin earlier . both machines to me are dope the 606 has its pro's and cons just like the 1000 does but for over all work flow the 1000 is better suited for the type of production i do . when i use the chop function on the mpc the jj os keeps my stereo sample a stereo sample itdoesnt convert it to mono on the mpc like it does to the 606 .Also with the 606 you gotta use that bullshit software just to make a baseline and you cant load a sound on the 606 and let it be pitched note for note like a piano come on now do i hear a os upgrade anyone. all im saying is the 606 is dope but if your looking for a mv 8800 and dont got the money the mpc 1000 with the new jj os is a baby version to it trust me i know cause i also own an mv 8800 . my final words tonight are the sp 505 and sp 303 and 404 are better sounding and easier to work with than a 606 just ask olby he'll set you straight just check his youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:08 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

They're all nice. Kill the topic so people don't get butt hurt over their machine of choice, the samplers we use are not relevant to anyone but ourselves when it comes to what can be done on them. NOT FP EVER. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:00 am 

DR.Sample303 wrote:
They're all nice. Kill the topic so people don't get butt hurt over their machine of choice, the samplers we use are not relevant to anyone but ourselves when it comes to what can be done on them. NOT FP EVER. :D

Word...

But just for the record everything I say is alwas right.... lol 8)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject: Re: sp606 vs mpc 1000
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:01 am 

richiedinero wrote:
606man have you ever owned an mpc 1000 or used one with the new jj os if so than what your saying has some weight but if your just hatinn cause the 606 is your machine of choice than that some bullshit you were spittin earlier . both machines to me are dope the 606 has its pro's and cons just like the 1000 does but for over all work flow the 1000 is better suited for the type of production i do . when i use the chop function on the mpc the jj os keeps my stereo sample a stereo sample itdoesnt convert it to mono on the mpc like it does to the 606 .Also with the 606 you gotta use that bullshit software just to make a baseline and you cant load a sound on the 606 and let it be pitched note for note like a piano come on now do i hear a os upgrade anyone. all im saying is the 606 is dope but if your looking for a mv 8800 and dont got the money the mpc 1000 with the new jj os is a baby version to it trust me i know cause i also own an mv 8800 . my final words tonight are the sp 505 and sp 303 and 404 are better sounding and easier to work with than a 606 just ask olby he'll set you straight just check his youtube.

I've used one enough to know it's not for me. I have a friend, who is hip-hop-mad, who swears by the 1000 (jj) and has been trying to convert me for the past two years. I'm yet to see anything that it can do that can't be done quicker and easier on PC. And that's with him doing it, not me. Also, having been the unfortunate owner of a 500, I'll never touch one again unless I have to! BTW, price-wise, we should be comparing these two, as the 1000 is nearly double the price of the 606.

Now, the chop 'issue' - chops are usually drums, bassline or vocals. So having them in stereo is absolutely pointless; check any text on correct mixing technique and you'll see that these elements should always be mono in a mix. I was making these parts mono long before the 606 did it for me. Listen to my music - these elements are all mono, and despite what you think of electronica and dance music, there's nobody, ever, told me my mixes sound thin.

And you must've not seen the built-in synth that can be used to make fat basslines, without even using samples at all. That's in the hardware, not the software, and used creatively works really well :wink:

The MV comparison is even more confusing than the MPC one - what's getting compared here - 4WDs and Motorbikes? These machines are that different. Or, to put it another way; what's better - a minimoog or andromeda? One's way more powerful but the other has a trademark sound.

My background is computer-music. Lots of years using trackers and the like before ever touching hardware. The 606 is marketed to this kind of user; notice how roland always have pics of it plugged into a PC. It's because that's how you use it. If you don't like 'bullshit software', then why would you get a sampler that uses software to function? The pitching was envisiaged to be done on the software. I don't see the problem, tbh.

There's another point in there too - the MPC is marketed as an 'all-in-one' solution, but most everyone who uses one tracks out to PC/Mac for further processing. Why? because the sound really needs some beef. It's way too 'middy' or 'boomy' out of the box.

As for the other SPs (and by bringing them into this debate it just looks like 606-bashing at any cost), they are all very different machines - each with a specific purpose. They all sound great, nice, fat and warm. Olby and I have discussed the 505/606 comparison at length, so no need to go there again :wink: The things he loves about the 505 are of no use to me and the things I need the 606 for are of no interest to him.

My opinion is my opinion, and it is based on my experience. Remember Frantic said he didn't like the sound of the MPC either, so it's not just me.

Finally, don't worry Dr Sample - this is the kind of balanced and considered discussion that you'll never see on FP :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:11 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I feel you but as this forum gets bigger there will be more an more people who won't understand how this site gets down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 am 

tru dat.

Post subject: i guess its matter of opinion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 am 

if the 606 works for cool rock wit but im cool wit my set-up and i guess since your name is 606 man dissin your machine of choice bruised your ego anyway its not the machine thats makes the producer ill its how they able to flip an ill beat.as for me im done with this thread got better things to talk about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:41 am 

i say, why not start a thread about why people fight over machines instead learning it better. sps and mpcs are really different and we should explore their differences. you know i do think that fights could occur over the mv/mpc but NOT sp/mpc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm 

Let me add my .02...I think that MPC's rock(the 60II is on my wishlist...lol) but nowadays they're unnecessary for making good quality hiphop.
I think that the sp series pack a lot more punch for sparking creativity.
My man Frantic,you're 100% right!!
The "Midi Production Center" was made to sequence external gear and the Akai S-series,so even the recent models are not standalone by definition.
Even with the jj os,I don't see the point in spending extra money for sequencing capabilities that can be done with software.
If someone is used to the MP and love the workflow,that's cool but in this day and age,a 606 packs way more because of the computer integration and ProTools on the higher level.
Established producers,using the MP,will hammer ideas,then send it back to PT for further editing and arrangements.
The 606 is pretty misunderstood...lol
And Dr Sample,you're absolutely right,for most hiphop and electronic music,a sampletrak,303,404 is enough.
My favorite tracks are the simple raw ones anyways.
I'd see the polyphony issue more important for rock,pop and jazz where guitars,bass,piano,drums,vocals are incorporated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:09 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

cosign^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:40 am 
Producer of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09 + 202 Award Winner '09

man this has been my ongoin delima for awhile now!I own both the 404 and the mp1000 and there both great machines.I love the sound of the 404 but hate the sequencer and I love the sequencer of the mp but dont really like the sound!I ve began makin beats usin REASON then got the MP1000 then the 404,and it wasnt till I used the 404 that i really felt I was makin that real hiphop shit!The reason I feel that way is cause the 404 tests you and pushes your creativity!just like the sp-1200 and the older beat machines!and thats what hiphop was built off of!takin your limits and expanding them so there are no limits!
The mp1000 is a beast I love it but I just dont get the same vibe I get of the 404!lately ive been hookin uo the mp 2 the sp midi and shit is realy dope!but then i dont wanna have to hook 2 machines up to make a beat!lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:21 am 
303 Award Winner '09

LORD BEATJITZU wrote:
it wasnt till I used the 404 that i really felt I was makin that real hiphop shit!The reason I feel that way is cause the 404 tests you and pushes your creativity!just like the sp-1200 and the older beat machines!and thats what hiphop was built off of!takin your limits and expanding them so there are no limits!

Cosign x1billion^, this is exactly why I love my sp even though I can make more "professional" mixes and tracks that I could sell to current artists, but I have more fun with my sampler doing my beats. If someone wants to pay me to make a beat then I'll hit the computer and give 'em whatever type of beat they want, but that's doesn't feel like making hip hop to me personally, it's all composing a lot of work to not have fun doing it, every once and a while I'll bust out my FL Studio skills and get a nice radio hyphy/crunk beat crackin' but that's for my folks who aren't versatile enough to flow on all the weird shit I make. Me personally I'll freestyle over any type of beat and take on a different persona to match the beat and the story I'll spit.

Post subject: DR.SAMPLES
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 am 

TRU INDEED I FEEL YOU ON YOUR WORK FLOW FOR THE GRIMY STREET SHIT I DO YEAH I USE MY SP 505 OR FOR THEM DOWNSOUTH MJG AND 8 BALL TYPE TRACKS OR THAT E 40 OR MAC DRE SHIT I BRING OUT THE MPC SO YOUR RIGHT DIFFERENT WEAPONS FOR DIFFERENT TASK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next