It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:06 am

Post subject: LO FI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:32 pm 

i uitilize the lo fi a little on some beats that i do-but i really dont know what i'm doing with it.can someone please tell me where to position the knobs (mfx lo-fi)to get that sp 1200 12 bit sound?i know this is a regular process for many of you and not some secret technique,so i'd appreciate a little help with this.and how do you guys sample with the lo fi button on?to me it sounds way to distorted and kind of metallic..unless theres a way to tweak it after you sample,but i dont see how thats possible.....?

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:31 pm 

Olby had this setting on his 505 viewtopic.php?t=931
might one to try it, it should be the same for the other sp's... just fcukz with it & hear what you can come up with...peace 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:02 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

It's the same for the other sp's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

I usually stay away from the lofi mfx on drums, i prefer the distortion and filter/drive mfx. I like using lofi mfx to filter basslines sometimes. As for resampling/recording in lofi mode in my experiences it can make a kick drum from a different source blend together better and it can add some grime to a hihat, but a lot of times it just makes them sound more fucked up.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 pm 

thanks for all the tips and the link to olbys post,hes the man,nahimean?lol...i'm gonna try that juxt,but i dont know,i tried that setting olby laid out,put it on a whole beat..and that shit sounded so dope--also made the sounds mesh together well.it kinda thins it out,but you can put some plug ins on the final mix to beef it back up.i'm getting really tired of relying on the vinyl sim and compression mfx-but i also just made a beat where i just made the drums 12 bit,and then put a very small touch of vinyl sim compression and flutter on...that sounded mad nice as well.i'm just trying to find different ways to flip stuff so all my beats dont have the same sound.but i would definitely reccomend using the lo fi mfx on drums on that setting(although i actually dont turn the far left knob up quite as far,to me it makes it sound to metallic)-you're basically getting the exact same sound that was on all the classic shit done on 1200's...do yall realize that sound quality wise,depending on how you do things- we have a sp 1200,mpc,and 404 all in one?i love this machine

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:07 pm 
Awesome Member

:shock: Interesting shit right here. Is it really the true Sp1200 sound? never heard one of those live... Does anyone know which are the datas for the lo-fi sample function? I mean how many bits and hz ?

@ juxt : I'm doing it the same way... A bit of distortion works really well for beefing up drums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:00 pm 

that doesn't sound like a 1200 at all. Still sounds cool to me.

Also, those settings are missing the filter setting.

Old machines had theese 'filters' in the converters because of the 'ringing'. The converters/filters canceled that out. That's why 20kHz samples on the 1200 have no ringing at all while on the 404 it sounds like the ring mod mfx.

I love the 303, it has some kind of filters aswell in the converters, the long mode sounds great.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:25 pm 

thats why i said i dont do the setting exactly like olby said-i put the far left knob only a quarter of the way up,which takes away the ringing....obviously if your sampling at 12 bit and a simmilar hkz whatever,you are gonna get a really similar sound.so i wouldnt say "at all" more like it doesnt sound "exactly" like a 1200.

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:54 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

yeah man thats a cool setting for the lofi. I been sleepin on LOFI mfx for a while

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:58 am 

juxt wrote:
I been sleepin on LOFI mfx for a while

word, i always overlook it for the Lo-Fi button