It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

Post subject: Re: Help Me Out... BASS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:19 am 

...and, of course, said sine waves aren't a sustained note and have an envelope.

Ah well! I'll make it work...

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:55 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Arturia MiniBrute.

The MiniBrute’s sub-oscillator will generate a sine or square wave as much as two octaves down.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:44 am 

moog minitaur
seen it as low as $300 here and there

also microkorg can do bass duties and some

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:49 am 

13th of 36 wrote:
moog minitaur
seen it as low as $300 here and there

also microkorg can do bass duties and some

+1 for minitaur

My brother-in-law has one and PHAT is an understatement.

https://soundcloud.com/spliffsoldier
https://rickjones757.bandcamp.com/

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 am 

Danswift wrote:
Arturia MiniBrute.

The MiniBrute’s sub-oscillator will generate a sine or square wave as much as two octaves down.

Never tried the minibrute but owned a microbrute in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2mHjAp-kU

Can get pretty deep, aggressive bass sounds easily. Only sold it cause I was down on cash. :oops:

edit: but the keys are ass

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 pm 

It's OK - a solution presented itself! The Akai S20 I got for tuning duties for the 303 has a sine wave in it when you first turn it on but haven't loaded owt into the RAM. I can tune that to the notes I need and sample them into the 303!

I'm was gonna sell the RT-123 anyway and, before I discovered the above, I had ordered a Yamaha QY20 from Japan for bass and perhaps light song sequencing duties, but I'll keep that anyway despite the Akai thing coz they're neato.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:28 pm 

Seems you nearly always get sorted with stuff on eBay from Japan. I wouldn't mind trying that myself if it were not for taxes, so do you mind me asking how much these eBay purchases from Japan are costing you in Import Tax etc?

Could you give an example of what the asking price was for a product you purchased from Japan, and what the total price you ended-up paying after taxes was so that I can get an idea of the costs involved?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:01 pm 

eBay japanese stuff is just listed as normal on the UK eBay (altho usually in US$). Postage is usually REALLY fast, great customer service. They often accept really low offers on stuff, coz I imagine they get it so cheap, plentiful as it all is out there. If it's faulty, they usual just refund (partial or full) and let you keep it, rather than have it posted back at their expense.
If the item is <£135, taxes are paid through eBay (added at checkout) and there's no import duty to pay, just VAT; if >£135, you pay VAT on arrival in the UK before you can have your item and import fees are added (usually £10-£20 plus a percentage).

I also use a website called Jauce. They're bascially a middleman between western buyers and Japanese auction sites like Yahoo etc. It's expensive to get stuff through them coz they add charges at every point (like for you crediting your account, for them making the bid for you, for them making the payment for you, for you blowing your nose etc) BUT sometimes the items can be so much cheaper that, even with their fees, it can end up cheaper than buying even direct from within the UK.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:24 am 

Thanks for the info bruh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:29 pm 

So what happens if you go over £135 (procedure wise I mean). It sounds as if under that amount that all fees ar paid up-front on eBay, but what if it's over that amount, how (and at what point) do you actually pay any due taxes?

For example, will the courier be expecting cash to be handed to them at the door before he handing it over, or is it done some other way?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:28 am 

Below £135 (possibly including postage, can't remember), there's no import duty (%, dependent on what the item is) or handling fees to pay; just VAT, which is taken at the point of sale.

If over, the carrier will send you a letter or text/email with a breakdown of the due tax etc once it's in the UK and you have to pay it before they send item from their UK depot to your gaff.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:51 pm 

That's actually quite a lot of cash on top then. I mean, say I bought something that even had free delivery and the asking price was equal to £200. So that would mean it's over the threshold which means 10-20% Import Tax would bring it to £220 - £240. Then the VAT on top of that (which I assume is the usual UK rate of 20%) would bring it to £264 - £288.

So that pretty much means that whatever price I see on eBay (whatever its equal is in Pounds Sterling), I'd be looking at 30% more than the asking price by the time all the taxes have been paid. What is advertised as being £200 is not far off another £100 on top of that when you add-on around £88 in taxes.

Not a fan of having to wait for a physical letter, either. If it was guaranteed to be done by email I might have given it a go, but not if there's a chance I have to wait for a physical letter to arrive. That's pretty ridiculous actually, you'd think it would always be done by text or email these days.

Only reason I ask about this is that when it comes to SPs, it looks as if I'm going to have to keep an open mind and look at the earlier models like you and many others on here do. No getting away from it, the MKII is a mess so I started looking into the SP-303 the other day to see what all the fuss was about regards the pitching on that one, but beleive it or not I've not been able to find a single video demonstrating that aspect.

Basically though, if it pitches in the normal way (by speeding-up and slowing-down the sample) I might get one, and pair it up with an SP-404SX /A.

I'm just going to have to get over the 'second-hand' aspect and instead embrace the aesthetic of a well-worn piece of gear, just as one would do with an old camera. If I look at it that way it shouldn't be a problem for my OCD.

Can't see me buying another MKII to be honest, I much prefer the SX/A but I hate the lack of standard pitching on it so that's why I'm looking at the SP-303 to pair-up with an SX/A. So basically that would be my rig, I'd just feed the 303 and the 404 with the MiniFreak, nothing else required or even desired.

BTW, if you know of a video specifically showing how the pitch works on an SP-303 please post a link to it. Maybe I've just been unlucky but I've not found such a video. I need to make sure that the pitching on a 303 works how I want it to work and NOT like on the SX/A cause I hate the "pitch shifting" method.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:28 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
No getting away from it, the MKII is a mess so I started looking into the SP-303 the other day to see what all the fuss was about regards the pitching on that one, but beleive it or not I've not been able to find a single video demonstrating that aspect.

Basically though, if it pitches in the normal way (by speeding-up and slowing-down the sample) I might get one, and pair it up with an SP-404SX /A.

BTW, if you know of a video specifically showing how the pitch works on an SP-303 please post a link to it. Maybe I've just been unlucky but I've not found such a video. I need to make sure that the pitching on a 303 works how I want it to work and NOT like on the SX/A cause I hate the "pitch shifting" method.

You might be thinking of the 202. Pitch works on the 303 pretty similarly to the 404.

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:51 pm 

Aye. 303 is shitpitch, like the 4s - an actual pitchshift effect where it maintains the tempo.
Timestretch on the 303 is OK for most drums but everything else it adds a shed-load of clicks n shit, coz it tries to maintain the pitch and just cuts bits out. Only upside is, if you have the sample cut right before you apply it, the clicks are to the tempo of the sample, so it can actually sound alrite sometimes (see my current BB track).

So, MS-1 and 202 for that (altho with not much resolution). Or ALMOST ANY OTHER SAMPLER. :lol:

RE: Japanese eBay shizzle. Well, that's why you make a low offer, which they often accept, in my experience. Or, like I say, Jauce has things cheap enough sometimes. I usually only consider either when there's nothing available in the EU or it's rare.
Royal Mail send a letter. Most others text.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:18 pm 

Thankyou both, I'm glad I mentioned it now cause I just checked and the amount of pitch change on the SP-202 isn't very much even though it is the correct type!