It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: From SP1200 to MPC60 to SP303...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:32 pm 

This time 2 years ago I had an SP1200 with S950. This time a year ago I'd just got the '60. As of today, this is now my only equipment...and I couldn't be feeling more inspired! Gonna be a steep learning curve for the new way of working but new creative avenues may appear, eh?

Attachments:
gear.png
gear.png [ 883.29 KiB | Viewed 13133 times ]

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!
 Post subject: Re: From SP1200 to MPC60 to SP303...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:35 pm 

The SP202 was my first ever sampler back in '99 and I *may* add one of those at some point, for sentimentality, for extra grunge, for extra kick and to have sample speed controllable with a knob. I like knobs!

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Last edited by Run Of The Hind on Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:41 pm 

The Roland VS recorders are great, BTW, for those of you who prefer hardware. Effects are great. Lush reverbs. Tape echo ("old tape") is 20x better than the 303 one. Has a lot (and a lot more) of the same effects as on the 303 (including isolator plus loads of lo-fi filters etc) but with more parameters...except, without assignable knobs for them, they're not as easy to tweak (data wheel). Still, like I say, if you like hardware recorders, these are dirt cheap. If you do a lot of edting on your tracks, you'll be wanting the bigger 1680 or 1880.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:00 pm 

yamaha qy10?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm 

Yeah. Had the QY70 for a bit but didn't really get into it. Got the QY10 as I thought it'd be a bit simpler for mucking around on with the couple of nice drum sounds, and some of the other sounds are nice, strings etc. Plus I can obvs sequence the MS/SP with it some way, altho I'm gonna try and do things just with resample/pattern and the simple sequencer on the MS. However, due to the lack of extra outputs (or panning) or ability to sync to the multitrack on both samplers, the effects and tracks on the VS are kinda going to waste, so I'll probs have to sequence hopefully the 303 patterns, triggering the QY with the VS via MIDI (or other way round). The reverb on the 303 just aint long and deep enough for my tastes (think Burial), whereas the VS verb is LUSH, but obvs i don't want that globally over everything inc drums. I am thinking if there's a way of wiring up a double-wired footswitch so I could trigger play seq on the MS and record on the VS at the same time, lolz. But that would only work for my purposes if I could trigger SP sequences with MS pads, which I've yet to look into.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:54 pm 

Looks like a nice little setup bro, and that multi-track in the foreground, man, that brings back memories of me wanting (but sadly never getting) a Roland VS-1680 which looks very similar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:43 pm 

Yeah, that's the next model up. I had a 1880 a decade or so ago, which was basically double the machine this current one is, but this suits me plenty these days as I don't record real instruments anymore, just my samplers and occasional synth bass. As stated, nice effects and a mastering section too, so I can 'master' straight to a Marantz PMD570 solidstate recorder. Never got wit' pooters; love me some hardware!

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:50 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Girru wrote:
The Roland VS recorders are great, BTW, for those of you who prefer hardware. Effects are great. Lush reverbs. Tape echo ("old tape") is 20x better than the 303 one. Has a lot (and a lot more) of the same effects as on the 303 (including isolator .

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FX on the VS series of recorders are similar to the ones on the SP 808 as far as I can remember ?.

The 808 absolutely hammers any of the other SP's when it comes to onboard FX processing with a huge array of sounds available.

I was always interested in those VS multi track recorders back in the day but never got around to actually checking them out , as like yourself I don't like making music using computers at all and am strictly hardware based with my own set up.

This combination of SP's,808 EX,404 OG & 303 is the way I like making music best of all.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:44 pm 

I don't know much about the SP808. I did briefly look into getting one when I first considered getting rid of the '60 a few months back, as an 'all-in-one' solution...but I think I was scared off by the storage (or, rather, the lack of a modern replacement equivalent). Shame coz it looked like a GREAT machine apart from that direct-to-zip thing. You can't trus' it.

But, yeah, I guess Roland used the same algorithms across the board, pretty much. Altho I think bit rate counts a lot too, coz I had the straight VS880 before I got this 880EX (18 bit vs 24 bit, iirc) and, altho the effects are largely the same, with the same parameters, the EX ones sound SO much better. I was underwhelmed by the longest 880 reverb but LOVE the 880EX one.

Maybe it's coz (I'm pretty sure) I'm on 'the spectrum', but putting music onto a flat screen and having no real knobs to turn, as opposed to putting it into a big, purpose-made box, just never sat right my head. I've only just 'come to terms' with going digital again, lolz (was all analogue except for reverbs and samplers in the time between the 1880 and recently when I sold all my tape decks and went to the 880 then 880EX - wanted to completely simplify my set-up).

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:10 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Girru wrote:
I don't know much about the SP808. I did briefly look into getting one when I first considered getting rid of the '60 a few months back, as an 'all-in-one' solution...but I think I was scared off by the storage (or, rather, the lack of a modern replacement equivalent). Shame coz it looked like a GREAT machine apart from that direct-to-zip thing. You can't trus' it.

There is a CF reader that can be swapped for the Zip Drive which works with the SP 808,some of the cats here on the forum have them installed with no issues at all as far as I know.

@TGN who's a member purchased his SP-808 pretty recently with the CF in place of the original drive...it's something I'm also looking into as I have 2 of these samplers myself, it'll take the machines to whole other level,so absolutely well worth it in my opinion if you're into these things of course.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:48 pm 

Danswift wrote:
... it's something I'm also looking into as I have 2 of these samplers myself, it'll take the machines to whole other level,so absolutely well worth it in my opinion if you're into these things of course.

I've often seen you praising the SP-808, both recently and way back in forum searches, and I'm not gonna lie, you have me intruiged every time you do it.

Trouble is those ZIP drives, soon as I'm reminded about that I think nah, I'm not buying anything that relies on ZIP drives for storage, so I never bothered looking further into it. Since there's an alternative way to handle storage now, I have to ask, did you ever put up a video on YouTube where you gush about the SP-808 like you do here?

One thing I've learned is that when people continue to gush about a peice of gear, there's usually a very good reason behind it, so do you have any such video? If not, is there any specific video you know of where the person demonstrating it has the same sort of fondness for it as you do, and for the same reasons?

I'm genuinely intrigued, especially since you have one (or two), and aren't as enthusuastic about the SP-404MKII, yet feel like you need an MPC-X. So it suggests to me that the SP-808 inhabits a workflow and niche that those other machines don't do so well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:40 pm 

Danswift wrote:
There is a CF reader that can be swapped for the Zip Drive which works with the SP 808,some of the cats here on the forum have them installed with no issues at all as far as I know.

Ah , cool. Last I read, because of the way/speed it writes the data to the zip, a suitable CF/SD drive couldn't be found. Great that it has. Wish I'd known about that before I went all in with the 303/MS-1...and now 202, coz I just bought one!

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:41 pm 

Ah, yes, I remember now! I did read about the original blue 2kxl drives working...but they're rare and very expensive, of course. Altho I see a new option has just emerged...but, again, looks pretty unobtainium.

I kinda wish you hadn't reminded me of the 808 now, ha ha, coz it really could've been the perfect solution for me - grunge-capable sampler, sequencer, effects and a couplafew tracks of audio, plus bass synth...and I seem to be forever trying to get as small a set-up as possible, and you cannae get smaller than one thing, roflz. Literally all I'd need. A mint-in-box one sold on egay today for £295 and it's a good thing I missed it, else I might already be listing my new 303/QY10 and newish MS1 back for sale, and telling the 202 owner to refund me, lolz. But, nah, I'm happy with 202/303/MS1 > VS. Still, if I see a nice one cheap some time...

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:27 am 

you made me finally pull the trigger on a QY i've had in my sights for a minute

gonna be on its way here from japan soon :mrgreen:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:53 am 

Which one?

My only concern is the tempo can't do decimal places, just whole numbers, which for loops could be tricky, but sequencing in double time should mitigate that somewhat.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next