It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

Post subject: somebody help me out!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:28 am 

so i finally got enough loot together to get a better interface with midi,a pre amp and mic...well,i got around 500-600 or so for the 3.but i have no clue what i should get and i dont wanna waste my money.
can anyone that has experience with recording vocals tell me the best way for me to go?i dont neccesarily need crystal clear pristine quality,but i still want it on par with most of your average indie hip hop stuff.& i know some interfaces have built in mic preamps-but is it better to get a seperate one?i also know theres a few somewhat inexpensive mics that are a lot better than some of the ones in the same price range,but i really dont know which..i'd really appreciate some solid advice,thanks a lot.

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 pm 
Awesome Member

I don't know how much money you wanna spend on a mic but a shure sm-58 is a hell of a mic... but mainly for live shit.
Back in the days we did rap recordings, we used a condensator mic.
A average one but it went out pretty good. I got a mic preamp in my mixer (+48V phantom) and it sounds alright for my stuff (sampling percussions)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc450.htm
This is a pretty good mic for it's price. Even the sound dudes around my say so...

Generally a micpreamp is better than a interface but beware of behringer mic preamps or other cheap ones. Maybe you're good to go with an interface and spent your money on a good mic. You can always buy a preamp later. Shitty mic on awesome preamp is senseless.

This might not be the revolution for you but I'll ask my colleagues tomorrow. They know ALL about mics...

How you gonna record your vocals?
I used cubase... seems to be pretty good for vocals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:24 pm 

Well...theres always the 555 and 606 :)

Other than that I would get something from presonus or m-audio. I had the M-audio firewire solo for a while and it sounds surprising good for $200. And I say always take firewire over USB if possible. As far as mics are concerned the Audio Technica AT2020 is an amazing mic for the price. Highly slept on. I use a samson C01. Its decent I bought for practically nothing when I worked at sam ash (I think I paid around $60 for the mic, cable, stand,pop filter and shockmount). Its also important to get a cable, stand, and pop filter btw.. You can make your own pop filter out of a coat hangar and panty hose if u want just make sure u use something. Im currently recording vocals through my 555 and im pretty happy with it.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

i cosign on the above ^ about behringer and other low-end theory. not worth the risk.

i use an audio-technica cardioid mic, but if i had to choose again, i'd get a mic you can switch between uni- and omni-directional and cardioid patterns (figure 8 basically). so i could use one mic for every sitch.

the best vocal performances i've done are through large diaphram condensor mics, but they may be prohibitively expensive (howevs, there's a brand that mimics the wiring of neumann stuff, for a fraction of the cost - can't remember the name, but you could find it w/ keywords).

for interfaces, i use a pretty old-skool emu sound card with preamps built in, but still with software back end if you want it (i do not). its hard mounted into my pc, but it works great (ie: no noise bleed, etc.).

i have run straight into the card but also into the mixer -> into the card, both with very good results. in all of this the bigger ish is making sure yr in a room without noise, hum, fans, etc. cuz digital aint forgiving.

but yeah, generally speaking you can't go too far afield with shure 58s, m-audio apps. that's a basic set up, but flexible and forgiving in several situations.

co-sign on the pop screen. v. important.

dig it! good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:26 pm 

thanks a lot for taking the time guys,i really appreciate it.it would be nice to get the 555 or 606 and was going to originally,but i thought i'd just stick with the 404 and spend the extra money on everything else since my beats will end up sounding pretty much identical anyway.im pretty sure i'll be using cubase,& i might get a trigger finger or mpd to make things a little easier with the extra pads and all that.if anyone else has any more info that could be valuable to me let me know... thanks again,stay tuned!

oh,frantic-you pretty much got my favorite beats of anyone on here(no offense to anyone:)but i've never heard anything of yours with any vocals-do you got any examples of shit i can hear that you recorded with that 60 dollar joint?i was thinking i'd have to drop at least 100-200,60 bucks would be too dope...

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:30 pm 

Art Tube has some very affordable Mic pres starting @ $89.00 and up. It will also be wise to use a compressor such as Samson (another good sounding affordable brand). For mics I still use this extremely inexpensive mic from stageworks, mind you I own very highend boutique mics. Good Luck!!!