It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Post subject: Quality loss[SOLVED]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:07 pm 

[SOLVED]

Last edited by Jaytreaze on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Quality loss(?)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:32 am 

hmm, maybe try pulling ur beat straight of the card and see if it has something to do with the line outs?

hope this helps

Post subject: Re: Quality loss(?)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:00 am 

Jaytreaze wrote:
Here’s the question: I don’t do this enough, but I should probably EQ my samples on the 404 first to boost what’s needed and cancel what isn’t, likewise for bass and drums... this could be/seems likely may be my problem... but what tips do you guys have post recording to make things sound more “fair” to what it would sound like fresh out the 404?

This right here is your problem (and solution), except that I'll mention one crucial thing - don't boost, cut. I know it's hard, hell I'm doing it myself (talk about not practicing what's been preached lol) but the thing is, by boosting you also boost hiss, hum and even phase cancellation (with some samples) + you can't really boost what wasn't recorded in the first place.
Other than that, you're absolutely right - you must prep your samples so that they "sit" in their designated EQ range. No point in having 100hz on hi hats, as well as having 5Khz on kick, and so on. It does make space in the mix for everything to sit better.

Also, when recording to DAW directly, I do it chunks. First I'll record the ENTIRE drum track, verse chorus bridge and all, export it back to SP and then resample it with EFX added. Only then I will start adding bass etc - I don't really use any of the VSTs (except for compression on the final export), I'm just using the software (Cubase in my case) for visual reference and faster work flow + resampling on SP muddies the sound with each take.

Hope this helps,

Peace

Post subject: Re: Quality loss[SOLVED]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:35 pm 

Kwwundo. —> hey man, I use the sequencer rather than resample so I’m not tooo sure on the capabilities of extracting a beat via the card when it’s the sequencer used, but appreciate the contribution g :)

LoopmantrA —> yeah I practiced more with this technique and greatly appreciate the input.

THE ANSWER HAS BEEN FOUND: Turns out it was nothing to do with my 404, interface, or cables... it was a standard configuration in Ableton which I did not know how to access, but now I know, things finally sound true to the 404 :) I simply haven’t explored ableton enough being busy with the 404 to realise such things LOL.

Appreciate the input from you guys!

Last edited by Jaytreaze on Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Quality loss[SOLVED]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:45 pm 

Never tried it (saturator) tbh.. My "go-to" are either RComp or Ultramaximizer, but I will look into it.
Thanks for the tip fam :)