It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

Post subject: How do I get this "drowned out" sound?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:25 pm 

been wondering how to achieve this "drowned out" sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQ7Vm6 ... -vtCoBDv50

Its like a "drowned out" effect on the beat, sample and drums. Ive been twisting knobs on my sp 303 with various effects and havent been able to achieve the sound yet. Any skilled sp-ologists out there have any ideas?

Also whats your favorite effects to use on drums in the lofi genre? I like using the EQ on my sp to low pass my sounds, creates a really nice lofi effect. And ofcourse adding some vinyl sim for that noise/record static. But with the vinyl sim ive noticed that if you twist the flutter knob too much it makes the sound way too wobbly so I use that with moderation.

Post subject: Re: How do I get this "drowned out" sound?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:17 pm 

play around with the filter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:40 am 

Yeah sounds the vinyl comp and filter to me,

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:41 pm 

sp-fiend wrote:
been wondering how to achieve this "drowned out" sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQ7Vm6 ... -vtCoBDv50

Its like a "drowned out" effect on the beat, sample and drums. Ive been twisting knobs on my sp 303 with various effects and havent been able to achieve the sound yet. Any skilled sp-ologists out there have any ideas?

Also whats your favorite effects to use on drums in the lofi genre? I like using the EQ on my sp to low pass my sounds, creates a really nice lofi effect. And ofcourse adding some vinyl sim for that noise/record static. But with the vinyl sim ive noticed that if you twist the flutter knob too much it makes the sound way too wobbly so I use that with moderation.

or u can use mfx14 with the bits + rate turned all the way down then use ctrl 3 as a filter. i guess its sorta like what alltfeller said exept the bitcrush filter is just a lil more 'smoother' i guess? hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:42 pm 

kwwundo. wrote:
sp-fiend wrote:

or u can use mfx14 with the bits + rate turned all the way down then use ctrl 3 as a filter. i guess its sorta like what alltfeller said exept the bitcrush filter is just a lil more 'smoother' i guess? hope this helps

and the sample also sounds like its got verb on it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:41 am 

god damn if i don't hate assholes slapping a fake VHS filter on a video, slapping a vinyl sim VST effect on a youtube sample FL studio beat with some vinyl crackle in the background and calling it "lofi" then marketing it on youtube as a "lofi type beat" to get hundreds of thousands of views and then ad revenue FUCK all this shit GOD DAMN i miss the days before "LOFI" was a buzzword fuck i was making beats before i even knew what lo-fi was, let alone the masses pretending to know what it is now :evil: :evil: :evil:
i can't believe i sound like an oldhead at fucking 23 years old
these zoomers really are toxic and ignorant as FUCK
i can't believe how ignorant and deluded these fucking imbeciles are SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK
FUCK ME

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm 

zendan wrote:
god damn if i don't hate assholes slapping a fake VHS filter on a video, slapping a vinyl sim VST effect on a youtube sample FL studio beat with some vinyl crackle in the background and calling it "lofi" then marketing it on youtube as a "lofi type beat" to get hundreds of thousands of views and then ad revenue FUCK all this shit GOD DAMN i miss the days before "LOFI" was a buzzword fuck i was making beats before i even knew what lo-fi was, let alone the masses pretending to know what it is now :evil: :evil: :evil:
i can't believe how ignorant and deluded these fucking imbeciles are SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK
FUCK ME

This is a typical pattern and everything that was once grass roots will get appropriated by a specific demographic sooner or later. I used to rage about it, but then realized it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:19 pm 

Yea I don’t think it matters how you go about getting the sound you like, I’ve never been a beat nazi. I’ve heard a lot of so called “beat purists” and their music sucks. I started this thread so people could exchange tips and tricks they use on the SP, not to hear guys whining about what they think music should be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
quote="sp-fiend"]I started this thread so people could exchange tips and tricks they use on the SP, not to hear guys whining about what they think music should be.

+1

Just ignore the gatekeeping and keep posting,other members are here who I'm sure will be happy to chew the fat with you on various production techniques etcetera. Apologies, I cant comment on the track as I haven't listened to it but there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum with regards to the type of info you're seeking.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 pm 

sp-fiend wrote:
Yea I don’t think it matters how you go about getting the sound you like, I’ve never been a beat nazi. I’ve heard a lot of so called “beat purists” and their music sucks. I started this thread so people could exchange tips and tricks they use on the SP, not to hear guys whining about what they think music should be.

you're trying to act like purists suck when you're the guy that's pleading with a forum to tell you how to get a "lofi sound" because you're too fucking stupid and deaf to recognize a low pass filter, vinyl crackle sample, wow & flutter fx, and dynamic range compression.

might as well give up now, little buddy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sorry for hurting your little precious ego, jock-riding poser (ɔ◔‿◔)ɔ ♥

what's the point of making music if you're just trying to bite someone else's style? "how do i make my music sound like this other guy's music?" that's the dumbest fucking question i've ever heard in my life
music is supposed to be art
art is supposed to be a unique expression of emotion
you're never going to make anything worth shit if you stay in this mindset.

i could give you a step by step guide to creating that sound in any bullshit DAW of your choice. find me the samples, and i could recreate the exact same beat for you.

i feel sorry for you.

p.s. this is an internet forum

anyone can say whatever the hell they want

you posted a thread asking for responses. you get a response you don't like, and you bitch about it like a little baby. ironic.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:12 pm 

Bandit Lu wrote:
zendan wrote:
FUCK ME

This is a typical pattern and everything that was once grass roots will get appropriated by a specific demographic sooner or later. I used to rage about it, but then realized it doesn't really matter.

appreciate you, homie
good point.
yeah, it just sucks whenever you were actually on the come up only for a horrible tragedy to ruin your life and completely destroy your momentum, leaving you in the dust.

i had my day in the sun, i guess, when i was making the music i loved making and getting love for it at the same time. it only lasted for such a short time, but i had it, if that even means shit.

i realized that there's no way i'm going to be able to get there again, so i might as well start producing some genre that I KNOW is trendy.
when i started making beats, i was just making what i personally enjoyed hearing. i enjoyed making sounds for myself to listen to. it just happened to coincide with some "trend" that started coming about. people decided to label my music with a term that they don't even know the meaning of, but it got me plays and fans. i started a cassette label and brought people from no followers to thousands, one of them going from 100 followers to 30,000 in the course of a couple months. then tragedy struck, and i wasn't able to continue the label. then everyone dropped me. it's funny how people have absolutely no gratitude. people are selfish, evil, short-sighted, narrow-minded, bigoted, lustful, wrathful, gluttonous, envious, weak creatures.

TL;DR i've realized that i should hop on some stupid up and coming trend if i want to get a fan base again, but i'd be doing something i don't care for. so, i don't see the point.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 pm 

zendan wrote:

TL;DR i've realized that i should hop on some stupid up and coming trend if i want to get a fan base again, but i'd be doing something i don't care for. so, i don't see the point.

meh. I think you should asses your goals and really think why you're doing the music thing or what you really want to get out of it.

not everyone is banking on "making big" and not everyone is "just doing it for fun"

Being a touring artist going show to show sounds like hell to me. Also having pressure to produce music day-in-day-out for a scheduled record release also sounds like hell to me. But being a mixing engineer sounds kind of fun to do on the side tho!

Scoring a short film or series is fun too.

There are diff types of success in the creative industries and it doesn't have to, nor does it usually doesn't revolve around the artist's personal projects. Yes sometimes it is, but most of the time art is created for the clients who paid you for your twist on their ideas.

Its natural for artists to evolve their style over time. if you look at the current people and groups that have super long careers in music, you'll see they've changed over time.

To me, "Beats" are more or less dead. I do love cranking out classic boombaps and loose dilla-esq beats, but I'm more interested in finding a new sound that doesn't sound like anyone else.

Instead of looking at the trends now, try looking past those and just do you.

Change is always inevitable and biters are always going to bite.
No point in getting bitter over it cause it just gets more and more trivial as you get older.

There are bigger fish to fry. Especially now.

pce and good luck

Last edited by 13th of 36 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:52 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
LMFAO.

Oh look, Zendan's gone and attempted to derail yet another thread on SP Forums into a topic thats all about himself again and how he invented lofi hip hop in his lunchbreak at kindergarten blah, blah blah.

And once more, a member who's new to these boards posts asking for advice and the saviour of sampled music appears at the door of the shithouse to proclaim them stupid, dumb and a 'jock riding poseur' for daring to ask how a certain sound is achieved for production purposes?

How untypical.

Just take that massive cock you've obviously still got wedged up there from out of your miserable stinking ass and lighten the fuck up you whining bitch ..you're a fucking disgrace to the entire community here Zendan.

"I miss the days before "LOFI" was a buzzword fuck i was making beats before i even knew what lo-fi was"

Hahahaha..get a fucking grip for fucks sake.

"i can't believe i sound like an oldhead at fucking 23 years old". 

Nah,you just sound like an immature dickhead..and toxic and narcissistic beyond belief.

"might as well give up now, little buddy   
sorry for hurting your little precious ego".

"I feel sorry for you"..

That's it ..spew it all out dood...you feel better now ?

You're the one who's acting like a complete fucking moron and not the OP .

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:43 pm 

Danswift wrote:
LMFAO.

Oh look, Zendan's gone and attempted to derail yet another thread on SP Forums into a topic thats all about himself again and how he invented lofi hip hop in his lunchbreak at kindergarten blah, blah blah.

And once more, a member who's new to these boards posts asking for advice and the saviour of sampled music appears at the door of the shithouse to proclaim them stupid, dumb and a 'jock riding poseur' for daring to ask how a certain sound is achieved for production purposes?

How untypical.

Just take that massive cock you've obviously still got wedged up there from out of your miserable stinking ass and lighten the fuck up you whining bitch ..you're a fucking disgrace to the entire community here Zendan.

"I miss the days before "LOFI" was a buzzword fuck i was making beats before i even knew what lo-fi was"

Hahahaha..get a fucking grip for fucks sake.

"i can't believe i sound like an oldhead at fucking 23 years old". 

Nah,you just sound like an immature dickhead..and toxic and narcissistic beyond belief.

"might as well give up now, little buddy   
sorry for hurting your little precious ego".

"I feel sorry for you"..

That's it ..spew it all out dood...you feel better now ?

You're the one who's acting like a complete fucking moron and not the OP .

tl;dr i read like the first couple sentences of this

bud, you're a grown fucking man. look at yourself.
i replied to this thread with an honest response that had an answer to his question within, and the kid decided to insult me. i responded to his insult. he incited it.
check yourself. i don't care to go back and forth with any of the toxic, old, sorry fucks on this forum anymore. that's old shit.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 pm 

@Danswift

proof that you're just as bigoted and toxic as the kid:

my buddy right here responded with simple and honest discourse

Bandit Lu wrote:

you responded with useless, vapid, and hollow insults. people LOVE to hate

the fact that you claim i'm boasting when i'm admitting my own pathetic failure shows your own personal insecurities. you're projecting.

this kid replied with insults:

sp-fiend wrote:
I’ve heard a lot of so called “beat purists” and their music sucks. I started this thread so people could exchange tips and tricks they use on the SP, not to hear guys whining about what they think music should be.

to my reply that had an answer to his question within he probably failed to notice because he was too butthurt about being a vapid poser

zendan wrote:
...slapping a fake VHS filter on a video, slapping a vinyl sim VST effect on a youtube sample FL studio beat with some vinyl crackle in the background...

this is basically a public forum now

people are inevitably going to say what they want

grow up

people like you try to GATE KEEP what gets said in these forums

that's why this place is dead.

no one cares about what you think

IIIII wrote: