It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

Post subject: Secrets to making more "outside the box" drum loops?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:25 am 

First post here, curious as to what you guys like to do to spice up your drum breaks? I only recently got into beatmaking, I was a guitar guy til a few months ago so I'm no expert on drum patterns. Would love to hear how yalls make your percussion more interesting :D

Post subject: Re: Secrets to making more "outside the box" drum loops?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:00 pm 

I've been really messing with hihat "velocity" lately, IE take 1 hat sample and copy it to 3 pads, going down in volume with each copy, also shortening each copy kind of at random or slightly trimming the beginning off of each of them (different amounts). Then just kinda randomly going between them when making my drum loop. Finding it's sounding more natural and interesting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:20 pm 

you can try using different time signatures and unnquantize your drums. the key is to have one element of your drum sequence in time and the rest can be anywhere (to taste).

experiment!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:31 pm 

I just got an sp like less than a week ago but i've been fingerdrumming forever and what i utilize most are the delay and djfx looper in making drum loops.

i'll just play a hihat first with just a 1 2 3 4 to some random tempo, then when i would get on the 1 again i hit rec to stop the resampling. and once i have those hi hats i add delay to turn the 4th or 8th notes of the hihats into 16ths & 32ths (?) but i think beats get increasingly interesting the more off-grid i do the delay there

then i'll add a snare and i like to have the tiniest bit of delay on it. try to put snares not just on 2 & 4, unless i'm playing the drums over a sample. at this point, the beat sounds quite quantized even though it is not at all

then i do my percussion ( mostly just logic ultrabeat sounds i downloaded ) and i use it sparingly while applying the djfx to make it do the timing for me.
when adding the percussion, i try to just be very simple in when i hit the pad because if u overcrowd it with so many different sounds that are all trying to be 32th without any quantize, it will just sound thrown together

sorry for going on forever, i rly wanted to make my first post. anyways so i do maybe 1 -2 percussions. usually going on the 8ths between the 4ths. when i say 4ths i mean 1/4ths. at a certain point i'll do the kick & i do whatever feels right with that. sometimes i'll copy the kick and make one of them a little quieter and use that after using the normal. usually i do 2-3 different kick patterns and sometimes switch up percussion for verse, chorus, bridge. oh i didn't mention it but past the snare, i don't try to make the loop a loop, because i always end up messing up that loop. at the very end i use that reverse trick to make it perfect.

yeah :D