It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

Post subject: Stereo Channels on Mixers and Audio Interfaces
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:11 am 

I began going more hardware again and got me a Digitakt. Now I noticed that my 5-channel mixer is getting to too small for me when I want to hook up my SP-404, my PC and a synth or two as well.

After looking around I noticed that the majority of analog mixers only feature at most two stereo channels like these here:

I guess I never really thought about it, but it seems those are more directed towards people using mics to records music!? Am I supposed to plug my stereo devices into 2 mono tracks and pan them to left/right to get a stereo recording? I don't even need all those mic pre-amps that make the mixers expensive as I just wanna connect stereo devices. And still I'd only fit 4 devices on an 8 track mixer then – when a friend comes over with his keyboard or whatever I'm already way out of channels. Would I really need to get a 10/12 track mixer for that or am I missing something here? :P

Actually something like this would fit my needs more, but ther reviews really aren't that good: Behringer 1002. But they seem to be the only ones featuring many line ins rather than mic preamps and keep it really compact at the same time.

Then I also thought about recording the mix. I couldn't record to separate tracks when I send my mixer's output through my audio interface. But then again even the most expensive AIs don't support more than eight mono inputs. How do folks cope with that!?

(Yay, 500th post!)

Post subject: Re: Stereo Channels on Mixers and Audio Interfaces
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:54 pm 

.. not sure how people cope . But i can only assume you'droute stereo into 2 mono channels and pan left n right like you said .

I've always been advised away from Behringer . But unless it catches fire .. i can't see how anything could possibly go wrong.. unless you're audio anal and require all inputs to be laced with gold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:40 am 

Yeah it really seems that's how stereo is treated. From what I've read the Behringer mixers get crazy hot around the power supply unit and don't last that long for many people and sometimes even add considerable noise to the signal.

Then I noticed I was also looking in the wrong categories on some shops, some differ between studio and PA and such. I just ordered the Mackie Mix12 with 12 channels. Those make for 12 mono, 6 stereo or 4 mono plus 4 mono tracks, which should suffice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:19 pm 

you could try looking for a line mixer instead.

i found one of these on ebay for 180 bucks 7 years ago
https://www.ebay.com/p/2255408048?iid=133252549594

they are like 600 new tho :(
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... line-mixer

or you could upgrade or expand your audio interface and kill 2 birds with one stone.