It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

Post subject: Re: The Virtues and Pitfalls of Reel-to-Reel Tape
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:14 pm 

Null Sweat wrote:
But you own a turntable, right? 9 out of 10 turntables/record players need a preamp. This is basic shit most beatmakers know regardless if they DJ or not.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the question i asked regarding the 2 channel mixer. no shit, i know turntables need amps, why the fuck do you think i asked the question in the first place? also, your statement is false. absolutely every single turntable needs AMPLIFICATION. something is considered a "pre-amp" when it is BUILT IN to the piece of audio equipment that usually needs external amplification. most phonos require use of separate amplifiers. very few (usually modern turntables and budget models) have pre-amps.

basic shit. most people know this.

Null Sweat wrote:
It ain't my fault if I can't understand you.

ah, so you are absolutely narcissistic, i can see. you think it's someone else's job to ensure you can understand something.

LoopmantrA understood absolutely everything I said. I don't understand why it would be my fault that you can't? when someone else can, easily.

sorry bud. this is obviously pointless. done replying.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 pm 

You sure like to split hairs. Why would you need a preamp if there is one built in? Your not gonna school me on anything that has to do with record players. I grew up with them in the house. I started sampling them and making beats around the year you were born. It wasn't some hipster, study and chill shit you kids are on. Some of us are still going to be doing this, long after you lose your interest for it. So, sit down and shut up when grown folks are talking.

zendan wrote:
ah, so you are absolutely narcissistic, i can see. you think it's someone else's job to ensure you can understand something.

No, it's your job to formulate your words into cohesive sentences, instead of psycho babble dribbling out your gullet. Quit projecting your issues onto other people. Your the obvious narcissist - inflated sense of self importance, need for excessive attention, inability to handle any criticism, lack of self esteem, excessive mood swings...

You seem to think it's sheer luck or odd chance that so many people on this forum end up having problems with you. Is there no pattern you are seeing to why this could be? No way that you could be the sole cause of this reaction? Of course, it's everyone else, right? I'm an asshole... Shit, I'll admit that any day of the week, but your a text book definition of a narcissist.

Aww, don't run from a debate. I could do this all month long. :lol:

Sweat [1] - ZenDave [0]

@GhostB - Sorry for hijacking your thread, homey. Just had enough of the scat scattering...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 pm 

Null Sweat wrote:
You sure like to split hairs. Why would you need a preamp if there is one built in?

there's another thing you didn't bother to read or comprehend.

Null Sweat wrote:
No, it's your job to formulate your words into cohesive sentences, instead of psycho babble dribbling out your gullet. Quit projecting your issues onto other people. Your the obvious narcissist - inflated sense of self importance, need for excessive attention, inability to handle any criticism, lack of self esteem, excessive mood swings...

Sweat [1] - ZenDave [0]

like i already said, LoopmantrA understood everything i said without any issues. Can you use logical reasoning to deduce that this obviously proves you have some kind of problem with comprehension?
^^^sorry if you can't understand this; i already stated it. let me dumb it down for you.

1. I wrote some coherent thoughts that I, myself, understand.
2. Someone else, LoopmantrA, absolutely and completely understood these coherent thoughts, then formulated a logical reply. We had a logical discussion!
3. A third person doesn't understand what was said, and is blaming OP for that. When in reality, the third person just doesn't understand. I mean, obviously the OP and another person understand everything completely and had a cool conversation. I wonder why the third person can't read English.

look at yourself. look at what you are saying. you sound ridiculous. you're literally saying "i know you are but what am i?" like a toddler. you just called me the narcissist when you wrote your own scoreboard and you can't even bother to read my NAME and spell it correctly.

how old are you man? you're acting like a child

if you have some actual learning disability, or dyslexia or something, please let me know because i would feel bad. it's not your fault you can't comprehend what i'm putting down if you have a real learning disability.

anyone else want to chime in here? i know it's annoying getting involved in disputes on here, but this is just straight up a joke. shouldn't be that serious for someone else to jump in and mediate.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 pm 

:lol: :lol: I thought you were done? I'm old enough to not have to ask people how old they are. Never lose your inner child, broski. It makes for a miserable life. Learning disability? I'm not the one that continues to do the same thing and expect a different outcome. Once again, quit projecting your self onto others. And if your going to continue to reply, you might try coming up with something substantial to say. Your game, that is well documented on this forum, rattle off a bunch of pointless arguments, then get upset and start slandering people. The saddest part is you try to get people to rally behind you, like they give two shits what your latest beef is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 pm 

Null Sweat wrote:
:lol: :lol: I thought you were done? I'm old enough to not have to ask people how old they are. Never lose your inner child, broski. It makes for a miserable life. Learning disability? I'm not the one that continues to do the same thing and expect a different outcome. Once again, quit projecting your self onto others. And if your going to continue to reply, you might try coming up with something substantial to say. Your game, that is well documented on this forum, rattle off a bunch of pointless arguments, then get upset and start slandering people. The saddest part is you try to get people to rally behind you, like they give two shits what your latest beef is.

you do understand that i'm not arguing with you right? you keep talking shit, and i'm just making you look like an idiot. you're honestly just entertaining me now. go ahead and keep it up.

and be honest man, you seem like you have something on the autism spectrum. i'm not trying to be rude, it would just completely explain your behavior. only other thing i can think of is complete lack of mental capacity paired with extreme ego. that's literally the only other thing that makes sense and justifies your behavior in this thread.

i have no idea what the fuck you're talking about that i'm doing and expecting different outcomes.

there is absolutely nothing that i am arguing; there is no argument. i don't know what you're referring to. all i see is some idiot complaining that he can't understand something then calling the guy he can't understand a narcissist.

i already had a chill conversation with Ghost Bazz, Headphones, LoopmantrA. this thread was chill until you came in here talking shit, simultaneously lacking the ability to comprehend anything you are reading.

like i said before, it's an absolute joke. if you are being serious i feel sorry for you. you can insult me all you want and it's doing nothing but entertaining me at this point.

i'd love to see your response to this. maybe you'll type out another scoreboard with my name misspelled in another fun way? jumping through hoops in your own deluded mind to justify your idiocy to yourself and disguise it as logic. i am really intrigued that you believe yourself, though; the stupor is magnificent, impressive at this extent.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:
zendan wrote:
Headphones wrote:
but you may only have 2-4 tracks

nope. use a mixer

Headphones wrote:
And if you made any mistakes, you have to cut it out & tape it back together or record it all over again.

what kind of tape do you have??? where you don't have to record again after making a mistake?

Bruh... headphones is actually right on both counts. Having a mixer doesn't expand your recordable tracks.

Here's a pretty interesting vid on tape splicing:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sp ... &FORM=VIRE

Here's a great breakdown of track configurations available in the reel-to-reel format:
https://www.petervis.com/Cassette_Tape_ ... rmats.html

can we get this thread back on topic??? i liked this thread

a two track reel to reel can be used as a single stereo track configuration, correct? this is already better than a third of the cassette decks i have, lmfao, mono shit.

so of course i'm not saying the deck itself can have more tracks, man, i'm saying you can record audio onto the two track deck that contains infinite tracks. however many you want. get a mixer, get a thousand mixers.

so, now that we have this cleared up, can someone explain to me, in a modern situation, why we would need multiple track outs recording to separate reel to reel decks simultaneously?? it was useful back in the day. it was the best way to make music! but today? someone give me a situation where this would be useful.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:43 am 

Christ, you are shallow. You can't respond to anything in a sensible manner. Not so fun when you gotta taste your own poison. Your like a politician, start losing a debate, so resort to discrediting your opponent. And here you go trying to get someone else to back your shit. Like your own convictions aren't strong enough to stand on their own. Here's bottom line, there's almost no drama here when you aren't around. Jeez, I fucking wonder why? And when there is drama, it fizzles out quick. But when you're here, you can't find a post that you haven't tainted up with your opinions and egotism. Your usually arguing with multiple cats at the same time or insulting the whole lot of us. There's a poll that voted to ban you in freedom of speech, that should speak for it's self. There is almost no decent content on the first page of most these sub-forums because it gets bumped down with everything zendang. I don't know of anyone here that wants to hear one particular person's opinions on every single goddamn post. My first post in here pertained to the OP's topic, you sidetracked everything into zendangland. Congrats for you. Ya did it again. I've spent 7 years lurking around this forum and never got into any drama until this post, I figured it was time to take one for the team. Fuck, everyone else has. You say I have a learning disability, when the shit flys right over your head that most cats are gonna meet in the middle of a dispute with you, simply because they don't want to put up with your shit. They know your game. You can't get that through your head. You've already proven you don't read anything, you just scan shit, replying as soon as you can. No rhetoric on that one. And saying I have some sort mental disability is preposterous, when your on here talking about killing yourself to a bunch of strangers. I don't find it amusing at all. Everyone I have known that has taken their own life, didn't broadcast it to the world. They did it silently and alone. I don't expect you to comprehend any of this. You obviously don't get that your the problem here. You didn't get it last year, I'll doubt you'll ever get it. Having enemies doesn't always equate to success. Sometimes it just means your a dickhead. And you don't get to be a dickhead for a week and then cool for 5 mins and back to dickhead again and expect everyone to forget that you were a dickhead for a week. Life doesn't work that way. Humility takes patience that I don't believe you have. It's a shame that there aren't any active mods on here, to police shit when we need them to. You should sign up over at mpc-forums. I'd like to see how quick they would ban your ass over there. Any fucking who, I'll wash my hands of this greasy shit and go back to ignoring you and kick it with cats who like to talk music without the drama, like I always have. One last request though, please keep your drama bs out of the arena, beats speak there not words. Enjoy you time here, however long that may be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:45 am 

@Null Sweat
you just accused me of everything you just did, yourself, in this thread. hilarious. oh yeah, and ellaguru is an active mod here. also, i have had failed suicide attempts, years ago; i don't recall ever telling anyone i was going to kill myself on this site. definitely, i'm sure i have mentioned that i was depressed and suicidal, though. thanks for pointing that out; i don't know what relevance that has here at all. peace!

ghost bazz wrote:
zendan wrote:
Headphones wrote:
but you may only have 2-4 tracks

nope. use a mixer

Headphones wrote:
And if you made any mistakes, you have to cut it out & tape it back together or record it all over again.

what kind of tape do you have??? where you don't have to record again after making a mistake?

Bruh... headphones is actually right on both counts. Having a mixer doesn't expand your recordable tracks.

Here's a pretty interesting vid on tape splicing:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sp ... &FORM=VIRE

Here's a great breakdown of track configurations available in the reel-to-reel format:
https://www.petervis.com/Cassette_Tape_ ... rmats.html

can we get this thread back on topic??? i liked this thread

a two track reel to reel can be used as a single stereo track configuration, correct? this is already better than a third of the cassette decks i have, lmfao, mono shit.

so of course i'm not saying the deck itself can have more tracks, man, i'm saying you can record audio onto the two track deck that contains infinite tracks. however many you want. get a mixer, get a thousand mixers.

so, now that we have this cleared up, can someone explain to me, in a modern situation, why we would need multiple track outs recording to separate reel to reel decks simultaneously?? it was useful back in the day. it was the best way to make music! but today? someone give me a situation where this would be useful.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:26 am 

Because recording to tape sounds good and forces everyone to play better- you can't just quantize shit afterwards. Loads on pro studios still use tape alongside Pro Tools, Steve Albini is the first one that comes to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:32 pm 

aadu3k wrote:
Because recording to tape sounds good and forces everyone to play better- you can't just quantize shit afterwards. Loads on pro studios still use tape alongside Pro Tools, Steve Albini is the first one that comes to mind.

definitely. that's the only reason i could see, but it's a damn good reason.
i would love to have a professional studio setup, fuck the digital shit, like they had back in the '70s. all reeeeel. mm that sound is so god damn good

IIIII wrote: