It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

Post subject: filters and such
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:44 am 

So I'm looking for a good filter. maybe something analog that will give my sound something original clean and punchy. So I noticed lots of people want these filters to make their expensive synth sound like old/cheap 8bit casios. wtf? In reality shouldn't always be the other way around?

Post subject: Re: filters and such
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:30 am 

it just depends on what you're after. if it is something that makes your sound lo-fi, its not a filter but technically a bitcrush distortion.

as far as filters go, you have a few options.

for starters, you might want to consider a decent numark dj mixer. you'll get a mixer, filters, and have a tool that can do multiple functions (the eq on that would be capable of doing highpass and lowpass sounds and would be analog).

next, consider the korg kaoss pad series. not analog, but can sound nice, gives you a good variety of filter types, and give you a host of other fx with an interface that lends itself well to life tweaking.

electrix made a few good filters like the filterqueen- analog, reasonable price, but hard to find

filterfactory units are expensive but capable

these are only a few. I hope this overview was helpful

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:41 pm 

get a korg monotron and mod it to take external audio input!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:28 pm 

cartesia wrote:
get a korg monotron and mod it to take external audio input!

It can take external audio input without modding. The mods do look dope though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 am 

cartesia wrote:
get a korg monotron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 pm 

daft punk filter (i dont remember the label, sorry)
but it costs too too too too much for real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:31 pm 

i have been thinking of the same thing, Moog do a analog filter its about 250 dollars i think, would be one of the nicest sounding i think, if you look after it it should keep most of its value. anther option would be a SH09, these have inputs where you can push any signal through its filters, once again if you don't like it sell it on, prices can vary on these but you'd be best to get one in decent condition, i have a SH201 where you get Roland's modelled filters and inputs and can do the same, of course you get their filters on the sp808 which i think sound very nice. for about 100 dollars you could get a good guitar pedal analog filter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:17 pm 

The daft punk filter (they have many) is the
Mutator, I think. I do plan on getting a monotron. Whats this about the 808 filter? It sounds great, but I don't think I've used the filter on it. I'll check it out.
Some that I really am interested in are the oto biscuit, jomox t resonator, frostwave, anologue solutions coffee filtered and of course the moogerfooger.
I'm also super excited about the Mfb synth lites filter. I'll hear it in a few weeks.

What blew my mind was some cats saying that they wanted to feed their minimoog through an expensive filter so it would sound like a casio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:08 am 

jbl wrote:
The daft punk filter (they have many) is the
Mutator, I think.

another one they use is the sherman filterBank, maybe is cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 am 

Had the Sherman, found it overpriced (kinda good for grungy noise and that's about it)

Want a Moogerfooger as of present, I think the price is okay for a mid-high end standalone filter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:55 am 

I have an oto biscuit and it is amazing!

I recently checked out the sherman restyler which also seems to be really cool but more hifi and not as 8bit grungy. also the oto won't self osciliate.

If you have the money the biscuit is a really well designed (and dead sexy) piece of machinery. and A LOT more than a plain filter.

another advantage of restyler and biscuit -> they are both stereo vs. mono sherman filterbank, ebbe and flut and the likes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:22 pm 

cyclopticantihero wrote:
for about 100 dollars you could get a good guitar pedal analog filter.
Which? The Digitech Synth Wah and Bass Synth Wah are digital, same with the Boss SYB-3 and SYB-5 (and they also cost more than that). The Boss T-Wah is the only one I know of, but it's pretty limited to wah sounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm 

@blue_lu
They're cheaper in Germany though, right? In japan the biscuit runs at 75,000 yen. For that I could get a slim phatty or be halfway to a monomachine. Honestly, the biscuit is sexy and it seems to bring some edge but...

Is it really worth that much money?

@warrika
Maybe he means a second hand from the late seventies/early eighties when the era of analog was in effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 pm 

jbl, thats up to you ;)

for me - yes it still is. it super portable, stereo, nice in a live environment (live tweaking) and I would say it is an 8bit effect box with a multimode filter as a bonus. the filter itself is supernice, I mean the filter on my sp303 doesn't even compare...

the 8bit effects include: bitcrushing, stepfilter, stereo vibrato, stereo chorus, delay, waveshaper, envelope filter and overdrive. the guy from otomachines seems to tweak the firmware further so I just upgraded to v.1.2 and got the the vibrato, chorus and the envelope filter as new fx. it is a character box that destroys your audio, but with class.

also the biscuit is completely (from head to toe) midi controllable, so it would integrate nicely with your mpc or daw.

here is a short passage of my yamaha qy70 through the oto. note the enhancements in the stereo field:

http://soundcloud.com/yellow-tangerine/ ... to-biscuit

regarding - the price: I hear you! :D But I fell in love on first sight and I just know right away if I feel the the device to be inspiring. I think it is a lot of money but obviosly a lot of thought went into this project, also it is handbuild in the eu, so to me it is worth it!

I am also going to buy the teenage engineering op-1 asap! most people think it is an overpriced toy, I don't think so. ;)

If you want a nice filter with an expensive sound buy a moogerfooger low pass filter. mono but very expendable via cv.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:31 pm 

* warrika * wrote:
cyclopticantihero wrote:
for about 100 dollars you could get a good guitar pedal analog filter.
Which? The Digitech Synth Wah and Bass Synth Wah are digital, same with the Boss SYB-3 and SYB-5 (and they also cost more than that). The Boss T-Wah is the only one I know of, but it's pretty limited to wah sounds.

cant remember the pedals i saw, was in a guitar shop in Dublin Ireland, maybe the price was more like 100 pounds so big difference than 100 dollars. pedal was by an American company though, sorry don't have any more details