It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

Post subject: "Jamming" with samples
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:29 pm 

Hey,
I wanted to ask:
How do you folks go around collecting samples/jamming with others using your sample library? For that matter, d'ya use just sample libraries that you drag and drop at random?

I've been making samples myself, ripping things from groups I like (neutral milk hotel, au revoir simone, the acorn, etc) and playing around with them a bit, but it's limited and I'm jamming with some friends tomorrow using mostly my sampler...
I wanted to know if you folks had any suggestions? How do you guys approach this?

I've an SP404.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:43 pm 

when i play with my friends i mostly use stuff i made myself with guitar, keyboard, vocals, random sounds, and effects. if i can find some really interesting sample that people won't identify from some song that i hear somewhere i'll use it but for the most part i don't use samples from other bands, especially current ones.

but thats cool, i have a 404 myself. have fun, enjoy yourself. the first time i played with my friend i just did loops and it was boring so now i have a loop or two running and then i have a bunch of drops that i bring in and then mess around with effects or run my mic through the effects. good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 pm 

i would say you'll have a better chance of coming up with something cool if you don't try to apply your sampler to what everyone else is doing, but have everyone else apply their instruments to what the sampler is doing.

because it'll just be a son of a bitch to try and get the tempo of loops to sinc with a drummer, when the drummer could just use his internal rhythm to sinc himself with the sampler.

plus, it would be a son of a bitch to try and find samples that fit the key of whatever a guitarist/pianist is doing, when a guitarist/pianist could come up with something that compliments your samples way easier.

but i mean, if these guys have never played around with samplers before, you probably wont have to worry about making it the main focus, because everybody in the room will be wanting to twiddle with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:29 am 

ive jammed a bunch of times with different people and id def take in what everyone else said esp about the drummer,, that could get nuts and make it bad so def agree to all sync to something. but for actual content i would suggest tone and drones you can apply live effects to, stabs and one shots and def "talking" samples - those fit over anything and can be manipulated well;... also sometimes ill make a sound that kind of flows in waves and then you can mark it live to sync with whatever is going on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 am 

i have done a bit of jamming and improve shows with my 404 and a friend, I mainly use samples that i recorded, or random sounds that i have got from free sound.

I think it all depends on what style of music you are playing and if you are playing along with existing songs.

Making the sampler the focus can be good, as long as your loops aren't boring for other people to play to. IF your playing with existing songs, more ambient samples will be better, or you could always free tap a beat out if you want.

I try and avoid obvious samples from other peoples music, but thats my choice, cause im a huge fan of field recording and trying to create an organic sound from an electronic instrument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

i like all the groops you've listed that yr sampling from. one fing to consider is: if you are glauming stuff from indie rock, are the rest of yr bandmates playing indie rock over it too?

some of the most interesting stuff out there integrates indie rock and other sub-genres. much as when dudes make hip hop from unusual sources, you may wanna consider sampling jazz, soul, or electronic stuff if yr groop is aw indierockers. alternately, use yr indie samples over yr bandmates playing differently styled stuff.

note: i co-sign on drones, textures, talking and electro-acoustic stabs. lots of good ideas come from hearing dudes play over those.

i'd love to hear what you come up w/. post some mp3s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:40 pm 

having 555 for less than a month I can say it is now a center of my setup.
Though I haven't figured out how I'm going to use it...(beside as a spliff holder :D ) I've been using it mainly as recorder, FX, audio and MIDI interface and a hole to plug my guitar in. This machine is capeable to do so many things that I jump from
one possibility to another.
Once I took it to my job and record some interesting metalic sounds, bells, hits ... than I've recorded some loops from my synths... I've started to play guitar more as MFX B/11 is great amp sim... but so far I haven't find
my workflow. I still sequence mainly with Roland D2 and use 555 for filter and some aditional kicks. I can say it is really cool machine but I'm not yet used to work with samples.

Some friends already called me to bring it on a session but Im still not skilled enough to bring it to a jam session.
I will post a short clip made only with SP 555, as soon as I record it from ADAT to PC.