It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

Post subject: ableton vs sp 404 effects
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:53 pm 

hi there! :D I'm new to this forum. my name is yak, I make trip hop music using an sp 404, a maschine connected as a vst on ableton, and other stuff like Roland s-330. i do the mix and masters all on my own, on ableton, but I'm tired of its so digital, cold effects (I mean compressors, eq, filters, reverb, ecc sounds so anonymous, with no character). I have friends that use hardware effects, like dbx compressors, alesis reverb, ecc. all in rack. I would like to switch to the analog way too, but i haven't enough money and space. I've tried to switch to logic, but, for me, was almost the same of ableton for the effect's sound, so i tried to get a "warmer" sound with much vsts, like waves, and maybe they sound a little better than the standard's ableton compressor or eq, but there are far by what I'm searching for yet.
so I thought, what if I put my ableton's tracks on my sp 404? in this way I should apply compression, eq, filters, reverb, delay, saturation, ecc., and then bounce the tracks with effects applied to ableton again, to finish the track. obviously I know that the sp 404 is a digital sampler, but I thought it could be a way to get better and maybe "warmer" and "more real" effects, though it's not analog.
what do you think about this way? can the sp 404 effects be somehow "better" than ableton or waves vsts for the results I'm searching for? is a good idea start trying how to reorganize the routing in my home studio for this method, or is better to stay on ableton for the mix?
every tip, opinion or contribution is appreciated!
I hope to have explained the question decently...sorry for my bad English. :roll:
I'm waiting for answers
thanks
yak :)

Post subject: Re: ableton vs sp 404 effects
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:55 pm 

Only way to tell is to try it and hear it for yourself.

Warmth is very subjective and can mean different things to different people.
It could be the EQ, noise, sound quality, instrument timber, compression, wow/flutter, pitch, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:49 am 

Yes, I totally agree, but I was wondering what do you think about the differences between ableton/waves/logic effects and sp 404 ones...I find the sp more "solid", but I'd like to understand if you had the same sensation or not, only to have a comparison!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:19 pm 

I personally don't prefer to use the 404 as an fx box for "color" over ableton live. They sound somewhat similar to my ears. I'll re-sample through my sp 303 or 202 if I want something more.

I don't have logic or waves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:13 pm 

okay, thanks for your help!