It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

Post subject: Resample method: tips and tricks?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:13 am 

So I've been playing around with the resample method and after much practice I think I've got it sort of down. I create about three or four drum patterns, resample those into a single pad in order, then I resample the drums with the the sample. Is this the most widely used resample method and I'm wondering if any body has some tips that they use to resample?

Here's a track as an example: https://soundcloud.com/indoorsman/wednesday

Post subject: Re: Resample method: tips and tricks?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:48 pm 

Solid method, I do the same on my 303 and 404. On my 555, I usually use the looper instead. Just easier to build up the loops and then export them to a pad.

Twitter: @vtmn_t
soundcloud.com/vitamint805

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 pm 

I keep the resampling shorter and like to have three or four loops with resampled drums and some loops with resampled samples. That way I can try out several combinations of all that and when I record I can throw an effect onto the samples without affecting the drums or turn of the samples for a bar and such.

Major downside with that approach to me is that most of the time the samples and drums loops aren't exactly equally long so they run out of sync when I let them run for too long. But the limitation~creativity principle also applies here - I simply switch things up more often 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:58 pm 

onlly thing still blocking my creativity, is not being able to capture everything on the fly, without using a computer, after many years of practice and dedication through excuciating training and combat trauma, the way i describe is the A> B > C trick, if you want to sample keyboards into the 404, use keyboard > 202 > 404 or use a subtractive formula, record a bunch of stuff to a 4 track, then sample it into the sp505 4 track, it is not perfect workflow, and using a computer makes it way faster, im talking about putting stems on the sequencer, can resample those loops too tho.

i use 2 bar and make tons of patterns, mostly drum techno and house loops, and switch it to hiphop jungle dubstep breaks, i think i gotta finish my techno song and move onto something else, i never made it much before im eqpermienting with low kicks, so thats just a trick to get live stuff into the sequencer. only thing about the 404 is, its best for backing, so once you have your whole backing done, if you snap it with midi into your DAW, then you can sync new audio tracks with midi , or just plain audio over dubs,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 pm 

Longtom852 wrote:
I create about three or four drum patterns

Do you do that with resampling or using the pattern editor?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 pm 

This might not be the resample method most use.... I use 404sx. I use the pattern sequencer... Whatever my bpm is I put it on 99 bars.... (gives me as much space as I need). Take quantize and click track off I don't like hearing the click track.... I press record and just visually wait for it to start recording. (Have to wait for one bar pre roll). My pattern never start exactly on the 1 I just tap out the pads..... This gives me full 12 voice polyphony and I can change the sounds or mix them.... When I'm satisfied with the pattern... I just record it to my 505 then back to 404sx pad..... Or I use my iPhone with a line 6 sonic port and back to 404sx.... I wish there was a way to disable the preroll of sequencer then you could just hit record at the same time as first pad in sequence....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:32 am 

maybe try quantize the first beat, at 4 (QUARTER NOTE)then it will always start, i have different work flow now , that requires a bit more patience than , resampling a few pads together, like midi,syncing stems and loops the old fashion way, but usually always snap everything to the sequencer , so the song has a structure, where bars start , i like mixing with the sequencer because it's not destructive can do FX on certain pads , and can mix with the master compressor on to get that popular ducking sound.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 am 

excuse the thread jacking with non resampling snobriety, i thot of a way, since you hate the metronome on, maybe make your own count in, after the factory count in, so you will , wait 4 beats, hear your own count in , then it will help get you in the groove, you can even do 2 or 4 bars warmup count in and rehearsal scratch pad, quantize a kick or something to 8's , just an idea, when you bounce the sequence mix out, you can punch it in manually on beat, after count in(s)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:02 pm 

I don't know why I just figured this out. On 404sx when you resample to an empty bank is seems the polyphony increases to all twelve pads. So let's say I have 12 stereo pads on bank A.... Bank B. For instance would be completely empty. So I hit resample then record, I go back to bank A which all the pads will be blinking. I just hit the pads however I want I don't pay attention to the 4 voice limitation. It records with no dropouts or anything. I don't know if this has been posted before if it has sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:58 pm 

How to add drums percussions, after you recoded instruments or synth on only one pad ?

If i push on The pad the sound wills top playing.

I'll try to push the loop button while playing the pads.
Thanks.