It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:02 pm

Post subject: the magic swing formula..
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 am 

so i dont know how common of a practice this is,or if anyone does it at all-but its one of the first "tricks" ive learned on the sp,thought i'd share-- i always hear cats talking about not quantizing your hi hats,sometimes kicks and snares,etc..to get more swing in your beat.this works-but personally,if i do that shit,i gotta make at LEAST 3 or 4 tries usually to get it so its not sounding too sloppy.it can be a pain in the ass,and i consider myself to have good rhythm and timing..and i think the non-quantized REALLY ragged sounding drum pattern is slightly over rated

BUT-what i do is sample all my drum sounds with a couple seconds of empty space in front of them-if i have to i resample them and hit them twice with a couple seconds in between to get that space,if its impossible to get it from the sample source.then i get the precise start point again...and then start moving them back with fine adjust.
for instance-i usually use 2 or 3 kicks,2 snares,and 2 or 3 hi hats(all the same sounds basically,just slightly different volumes and pitches)....so i could take one snare back to minus 4,the other to minus 3,the kicks at minus 2 and 3,and the hats at minus 4 and 5--or something like that-and i quantize evrything on 8.you can get a really ill,loose swing,its kinda like the sound of not quantizing,but to me much easier,and you know nothings gonna be too far off.and its fun to fuck around with the start points to see all the different levels of swing you can get.
now obviously-if the drums are like this,you cant quantize your chops,and you really dont wanna put space in front of them too-so when you record,dont start playing your sample immediately when the count comes in-wait until the second time around,and follow the drums as you play your sequence,not the metronome or numbers on the screen(the pattern will be WAY behind the metronome/numbers)..the combination of the loosely quantized drums and the non quantized chops sounds really ill together...somebody say sp1200 swing? i thought this was so dope the first time i did it,lol..the beats i did this on from my post on the music page are "your love" and "hurt"-and you can tell the difference.
that sounds a lot more complicated than it is,for real the process takes at the most 10 minutes.
anyway,thought i'd post this and see if some people try it out and what they think...peace

Last edited by Druphit on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:38 am 

nice tip player, I've done that before but never like that, I just did it to like one sample

beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:11 am 

BEIRD! lmao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:36 pm 

dont sleep on the formula!im telling you... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:12 pm 

i think its because it's been discuss before somewhere around here but good isht nonetheless, if you find more hidden isht, just drop in here... thanks for the tip 8)

Post subject: Re: the magic swing formula..
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Druphit wrote:
i think the non-quantized REALLY ragged sounding drum pattern is slightly over rated

You mean the off-beat stuff? Yeah, definitely overrated. Sometimes it works great, but it tends to be overdone most of the time.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox