It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am

Post subject: ANOTHER question about multitrackers....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:50 pm 

ive always been just using a hi-fi and overdubbing my work or i will make the beat on my 404 and play it "live'" while recording.

my question is how exactly does a 4-track cassette multitracker work??

since it's being recorded to an analog tape im assuming that you record just one track at a time and then just repeat the process?? (which is the same as dubbing over your tracks which is what im doing already).

like ive seen those old 4-track things and they have 4 sliders. but you won't even be using these unless you have like 4 pieces of gear to plug into each channel, am i right or am i missing something completely??

and since it's recording to an analog source then stuff like panning or turning the volume up/down has to be done in real time and since i make the whole beat on my SP-404 this will leave me to be able to manipulate only one track.

jesus christ why did they make 4 tracks when they could have made 1/2 tracks (i know that's just basically a hi-fi)

will somebody explain this to me because i think (I KNOW) that im just being incredibly stupid here and cant see something that should be right in front of my face.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:53 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

yeah I dont use my cassette multitrack too much.

Quote:
since it's being recorded to an analog tape im assuming that you record just one track at a time and then just repeat the process??

yeah, with a SP404 and any recorder digital or tape you have to record 1 track at a time(if you want to externally process them).

Quote:
and since it's recording to an analog source then stuff like panning or turning the volume up/down has to be done in real time and since i make the whole beat on my SP-404 this will leave me to be able to manipulate only one track

not too sure what you mean so I dont know if this answers ur quesion but you can adjust volume and panning of each track after it has been recorded to the tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:52 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Basically a multi-track recorder will let you have multiple different tracks running at the same time with the ability to adjust the levels, pan, and effects bus independently. It will allow you to create and mix the different parts of your song much more efficiently. In more advanced multi-tracks you can punch in and record at any point in you song without having to wait for a step sequencer to come around.