It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Post subject: SP-404SX + DAW configuration and workflow
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:16 pm 

Hi guys,
so far I've been trying to create beats entirely on SP-404SX. But there are couple of things I miss from my DAW - e.g. sequencer, samples and VSTs.
I'm planning to rearrange my workflow - I would like to have my SP hooked up to input and output of my audio interface simultaneously (E-MU 0404). I hope it would allow me to transfer sounds from DAW to SP on the fly. I also expect I will be able to play each track (hi-hats, snares, etc.) on the SP separately (while hearing other tracks from Ableton), record it to Ableton and then sequence everything in Ableton.

Here are my questions:
1) Have you tried this (or similar) workflow with any success? Does it make sense to you ;)?
2) Is it possible to connect SP-404SX to input and output of my audio interface (E-MU 0404, image below) without creating feedback loop? Do I need more outputs in my audio interface? I also have a mixer (Vestax PMC-06 Pro), so maybe I could use it for some workaround?

Post subject: Re: SP-404SX + DAW configuration and workflow
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:33 pm 

Popek wrote:
Hi guys,
so far I've been trying to create beats entirely on SP-404SX. But there are couple of things I miss from my DAW - e.g. sequencer, samples and VSTs.
I'm planning to rearrange my workflow - I would like to have my SP hooked up to input and output of my audio interface simultaneously (E-MU 0404). I hope it would allow me to transfer sounds from DAW to SP on the fly. I also expect I will be able to play each track (hi-hats, snares, etc.) on the SP separately (while hearing other tracks from Ableton), record it to Ableton and then sequence everything in Ableton.

Here are my questions:
1) Have you tried this (or similar) workflow with any success? Does it make sense to you ;)?
2) Is it possible to connect SP-404SX to input and output of my audio interface (E-MU 0404, image below) without creating feedback loop? Do I need more outputs in my audio interface? I also have a mixer (Vestax PMC-06 Pro), so maybe I could use it for some workaround?

This might help but I'm not too sure since really it's the sequencer on the 404 I prefer than that of a DAW haha. The way I have it set up is my 404 into the interface, everything that plays will come out on my monitors but at the same time I have ableton's output preference set to my interface. I can then simultaneously play whats on the 404 and a bass in ableton for example. Once I'm happy with the notes I have I just switch the output preference on Ableton to the aux and just sample them into my 404. Once I have everything ready, I just turn off the EXT. Source button so I only hear what's happening with the 404 and record into ableton from 404 through the interface . Finishing touches I just switch ableton's preferences to output via interface to hear what is going on when playing back and thats is essentially it.

Could any of that be any help?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:35 pm 

Have a look at this video on a way to connect things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa1k61QRqak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:51 pm 

you need a interface with more than 1 pair of ouputs.