It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:52 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 404A
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:44 pm 
New member

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Posts: 7
Does the 404A have the same issue as the 303 re: transients I think is the term ? on One Shot/Gated Samples ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26477


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm
Posts: 590
Location: Washington
If on one shot it plays the sample all the way thru. If on gate it only plays while holding the pad down.

Which one are you having issues with?

If it's happening on one shots, the chop point needs to be fixed. Depends on the quality of the sample if there will be a click where it's chopped, but there shouldn't be, try adjusting the chop point.

If it's happening on gated samples, does it happen all the time? I think I recall it happening to me sometimes as well, but not all the time.... I just changed them to one shots to keep it from happening or I took a few different takes until I got a good take.

I THINK it depends on where the sample is playing when you let go of the pad.

If it's bothersome, just turn them in to one shots & chop them where you want them to be chopped. If it's a sound you want sometimes to play longer than others, maybe turn that into 2 one shot samples on 2 different pads.

I have the 404sx, not the a, but they should be the same.

They might not always do exactly what you want them to do, but they're full of work arounds & tricks.

_________________
RECENT BATTLE BEATS
https://soundcloud.com/user-255622253
OLD BATTLE BEATS & a few extra tracks
https://sharris.bandcamp.com/


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 am 
New member

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Posts: 7
It was happening with both and was a deal breaker, so I got rid of the 303 as there was no way to mitigate the issue with setting start/end points on the 303 with such short samples.

I assume the 404 has proper start/end point setting with knobs or whatever ?

Sharris wrote:
If on one shot it plays the sample all the way thru. If on gate it only plays while holding the pad down.

Which one are you having issues with?

If it's happening on one shots, the chop point needs to be fixed. Depends on the quality of the sample if there will be a click where it's chopped, but there shouldn't be, try adjusting the chop point.

If it's happening on gated samples, does it happen all the time? I think I recall it happening to me sometimes as well, but not all the time.... I just changed them to one shots to keep it from happening or I took a few different takes until I got a good take.

I THINK it depends on where the sample is playing when you let go of the pad.

If it's bothersome, just turn them in to one shots & chop them where you want them to be chopped. If it's a sound you want sometimes to play longer than others, maybe turn that into 2 one shot samples on 2 different pads.

I have the 404sx, not the a, but they should be the same.

They might not always do exactly what you want them to do, but they're full of work arounds & tricks.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm
Posts: 590
Location: Washington
yep you can easily adjust start & end points on the 404. & the 303.

you can also leave air at the end of the sample when sampling into the 404..... & the 303.... so the samples wont be short.

if your transferring samples (not actually sampling into your sampler) & it's a short sample, just resample with a little air at the end. Possible on both 303 & 404

_________________
RECENT BATTLE BEATS
https://soundcloud.com/user-255622253
OLD BATTLE BEATS & a few extra tracks
https://sharris.bandcamp.com/


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 pm 
New member

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Posts: 7
Sharris wrote:
yep you can easily adjust start & end points on the 404. & the 303.

you can also leave air at the end of the sample when sampling into the 404..... & the 303.... so the samples wont be short.

if your transferring samples (not actually sampling into your sampler) & it's a short sample, just resample with a little air at the end. Possible on both 303 & 404


The only way to adjust start/end on the 303 was by the button press start and end marker way, impossible to do on a short(1 second or less) one shot drum hit sample though. Seems like the 404 corrects this ?


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:07 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:47 am
Posts: 787
Location: Gothenburg SE
Hi mfny!

If you really got rid of a 303 because you honestly thought you couldn't edit samples with the ctrl knobs, I do feel sorry for you. That's a real bummer, man, because it is a beautiful piece of kit.

Attachment:
IMG_20200217_064505__01.jpg
IMG_20200217_064505__01.jpg [ 174.35 KiB | Viewed 3153 times ]


Besides being right there on the faceplate, you have a forum member telling you that that's the case, not just for the 303 but for 404, 404sx, 404a...

Also, all user manuals are accessible via this forum, and about a bajillion threads on different workarounds and ways of chopping samples.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/l_i_f
https://l-i-f.bandcamp.com/
_________________

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 pm 
New member

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Posts: 7
Uh sorry I had a brain fart, I had a SP202 not a 303..

l i f wrote:
Hi mfny!

If you really got rid of a 303 because you honestly thought you couldn't edit samples with the ctrl knobs, I do feel sorry for you. That's a real bummer, man, because it is a beautiful piece of kit.

Attachment:
IMG_20200217_064505__01.jpg


Besides being right there on the faceplate, you have a forum member telling you that that's the case, not just for the 303 but for 404, 404sx, 404a...

Also, all user manuals are accessible via this forum, and about a bajillion threads on different workarounds and ways of chopping samples.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 am 
New member

Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:47 am
Posts: 7
mfny wrote:
Does the 404A have the same issue as the 303 re: transients I think is the term ? on One Shot/Gated Samples ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26477


Interesting that you are talking about finger drumming on a 4 voice phrase sampler, the SP-202.

You can do a lot more on all the SP's than they were originally designed for but that an incredible stretch.

I'm pretty sure you were simply fighting with polyphony not sample start/end.

The 303 would do better since it doubles the polyphony to 8 and the 404 or 555 will give you 12 notes.

_________________
Members of the Family: (1) SP-808 (1) A-6 (3) SP-202 (1) SP-404
Sold: (2) SP-303 (2) SP-202 (1) SP-505


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm 
New member

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Posts: 7
I was having these issues with just one sample. While I liked the workflow of the SP202 it was just far to limited for me.. hence asking about the 404 and maybe other SP models.. or other similar samplers (Yamaha SU200 ..others ?)

TurnDaKnob wrote:
mfny wrote:
Does the 404A have the same issue as the 303 re: transients I think is the term ? on One Shot/Gated Samples ?
I was having these issues just trying to play one gated/one shot sample..

The SP202 was just not cut out for what I wanted at all.

I am looking at the SP404, Yamaha SU200 .. that sort of thing instead..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26477


Interesting that you are talking about finger drumming on a 4 voice phrase sampler, the SP-202.

You can do a lot more on all the SP's than they were originally designed for but that an incredible stretch.

I'm pretty sure you were simply fighting with polyphony not sample start/end.

The 303 would do better since it doubles the polyphony to 8 and the 404 or 555 will give you 12 notes.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: 404A
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:46 am 
New member

Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:47 am
Posts: 7
my response was based on your linked post

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26477

where you mentioned finger drumming which is not something that should be attempted on the SP-202.

The SP-202 has a couple of features that other SP's just don't seem to do as well so I find it best for capturing samples from another sampler or for sending samples to another sampler for editing.

If in fact if finger drumming is what you are after I would keep the SP-202 for effects and get a MPC-1000 then add the JJ OS.

_________________
Members of the Family: (1) SP-808 (1) A-6 (3) SP-202 (1) SP-404
Sold: (2) SP-303 (2) SP-202 (1) SP-505


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron