It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Post subject: 404sx live show/performance
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:44 pm 

I'm on the hunt to grab gigs in my local area, I figured "fuck it, i could use some pocket change" plus, I'm confident enough in what I make that I think other people would feel it too.

Anyway, as of late, I've only really resampled beats, and don't have source/dry recordings of my shit.

The options are to make new joints for a performance (which is low chance since I'm kicking it at my sister's pad between moving to a new place), or bounce my beats with added live mfx/djfx fuckery. Maybe some projector visuals stuff going on in the background, etc.

I'd like to know what any of you cats who've performed before would do, if you have done sp-only sets, whatever advice you'd have, etc.

If there is already a thread on this topic, link it up, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks fam

http://dr00py.bandcamp.com

Post subject: Re: 404sx live show/performance
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

For sp performance peep this. Jonwaynes beats are great.
10:22=FULL BRAIN MELT ACTION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd6iVroHIX0
I would use my 404sx live mostly, but ableton is fairly streamlined for performance. The device depends on the crowd, if I played a bar or something casual 404sx all day but if I got booked for a show that people payed cash for I would probably want to deliver something more polished and easier to dance to from ableton. Making the beats is for us and playing a show is all about pleasing the crowd and remember to turn that snare the fuck ^UP :mrgreen: drunk people cant hear shit and certain rooms eat snares because of the particular sound refraction qualities. I've also been told that a good D/I box is helpful for not blowing out the house speakers, that's all I got because I currently haven't worked up to that myslef...but soon. You can do it, good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:27 am 

main loop on one pad
one shots/rhythmic one shots on other pads

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:11 pm 

If you can, do a quick sound check with the guy/gal who runs the mixer or PA system in the club/pub/tavern/venue you're going to perform at. Make sure you bring extra cables in case any are faulty or sound bad. Get a feel if the crowd will be able to hear you, or drown you out in conversation if you're not loud enough. Check if the PA system needs to give you any extra reverb to compensate for how big the place is. If they don't have a clue, you may gain their trust to let you take it over, but be careful. Last thing you want to do is over do it, and make your audience go deaf with high/low frequencies!

Practice, practice, practice your sets. Doesn't matter if it's your SP or Ableton, or guitar, but the more you know exactly what to do, and when, will help you at the end. But, if you have blind faith and just like to see what crowd reaction is before you decide what to perform, that's cool too. It could be awful, it could be fun. But, the idea is to get future bookings to make some more cash in the future, which won't happen if you're not getting their attention, or worse, emptying the venue! If you can, bring along another musician or dj, who you can bounce ideas with, make you sound better, etc. Crowd would love that I'm sure!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:04 am 

Yo, thanks for the tips so far guys!

So I nabbed myself a free gig (15% beer $) on the 30th with a local funk act, the scene we have in my little town is actually pretty bumping so the turnout should be good, especially with the doors being free. I'm feeling like I have a decent feeling of control over the vibe of this though, being free I can take it pretty casual. Planning on having a projector screen with glitchy taped out visuals running in the background, if not that, grab a CRT monitor and play it through that.

I'm definitely going to be scoping the place out soon to see if I can be geared up properly, I figure I'll be plugged into PA's or the house speakers. I'll definitely need a decent soundcheck since a lot of my beats are crunchy as fuck and would probably wreck ears if the high's aren't cut a bit. I know they got a soundboard, hopefully they trust enough for me to fiddle with it. I figure I'll do quick .5 second chops of each beat and play it through altogether in order to monitor the EQing beforehand.
The place IS NOTORIOUS for cutting low-end though, which is a bummer, but whatever. (every set I've ever seen, staff come up and tell the bassist/band to lower their bass)

I think I can cook up some decent one-shots for these as well, apparently I'm on at 10pm, and can 'play until whenever'. I'll probably aim for a 40m-1h set length.

Here's the flyer:

Any more tips/words of support would be super dope! I'm gonna get to practicing now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20 pm 

Aftermath update:

So the show was a success.
I ended up playing at 1030, had some duo rock act play before me, bought me some time to have more heads there to check it out.

There was some issues with the projector, duder forgot to bring a screen, so I called up my buddy and he said he'd look after he had a shower. Minutes later he calls me back "DUDE MY SHOWER CURTAIN IS PERFECT", it was runk as fuck. The projection was a collection of old vhs footage mostly off youtube, weird glitchy shit, mario paint animations, canadian video game shows (video and arcade top 10 anyone?), I also hit up Peeler and he gave me permission to pilfer his videos and cut em up, he also made a new vid for me which is sick as fuck. Huge shoutout to him.

I started off my set, but stupidly I had decided to have multiple tracks running through one pad, and ended up hitting the hold button by accident halfway through. Luckily I had some backup tracks and it went by pretty unnoticed.

I had a 'cheat sheet' written with some basic guidelines on where my levels for each MFX should generally be (in order for things not to sound super whack), I decided to generally vibe it out over everything else, felt more natural. I told myself I wasn't going to DJFX abuse, but frankly I ended up hugging those knobs and glitching out a lot of my tracks.

The show was pretty unorganized, when we were putting the show together it was just me and the headliner, but then it turned out there were like 2-3 smaller groups on the bill between me and the headliner, which was pretty whack. So near the end of my set I had to cut it short, which bummed me out.

I was pretty stoked when people cheered. Super gratifying and I'll admit I wasn't really expecting such a positive response. I guess I won't second guess myself so much anymore. I'll admit some people couldn't take it and left :mrgreen:
Turned out I have fans in the area though, handing out fliers with my bandcamp on it was a smart move. After the set I chilled with people mostly and smoked darts like crazy. People came up and told me it was a cool set.

I was close enough to the EQ that I was able to mess with levels when I needed to, but it turned out that the bass was generally pretty lacking, and it may have been super crunchy, but whatever.

If I was going to improve anything;
more practice,
play dry beats (instead of ones I've already resampled to death with fx),
preferably have each track assigned to a pad instead of a series of em,
even more practice,
maybe some better mastering to have venue PA's in mind.

I'm super stoked that I went ahead and just DID it, and if any of you heads out there are on the fence about performing, I encourage you all to GO FOR IT! It's worth at least trying once. You all make some major head nodders on this forum, there's no way that if you perform at the right kind of venue or for the right scene, that people won't vibe to it too.

Thanks for the tips again, took that ish to heart.
Any questions about it I'll answer them.

Cheers fam.

Here's some pictures and footage if yer interested:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:15 pm 

Sounds like a sick set. One suggestion I have is to look into getting yourself a small mixer, like a Yamaha MG06 or MG08. You can usually find these pretty cheap used. If you have your own mixer, you can control your mix regardless of where you are and what the venue sound is like. It would also allow you to add any other gear to your set very easily if you ever choose to expand the setup.