It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:50 am

Post subject: Loading patterns using MIDI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:20 am 

Hello

What I want to do: load a pattern by pressing a MIDI foot pedal that sends messages including but not limited to program and bank changes, so I can load a pattern for each song at the same time as I send them to pedals and loopers.

Is there something in the manual that I have missed? I can see where you can load or trigger a sound on a pad, but I can't see this. I am not the best at reading manuals, but I have tried to figure this out before asking.

Alternatively, if it's not in the manual, is there a way that is undocumented? I see all these programs that do things but they seem to be doing things with the cards.

Or do I have to be looking at another SP machine for this? I realise all I have to do is press a few buttons, but it would be easier if I could do this with each item in a set list rather than look up a pattern on a piece of paper in the dark when I want to use it.

Thanks for any help you can give

Carl

EDIT: I have already read the 404+MIDI post by Drewszle, and it wasn't in there

Post subject: Re: Loading patterns using MIDI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:43 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Hi, I don't think it is possible to switch banks on the 404 with a foot pedal. For assigning the pedal to do anything other than trigger a specific pad (using a different machine as a controller), I think the 404 would need to have a MIDI out, which it doesn't.

However... you can use the pedal to trigger a pad from a different bank without having to press the bank's button on the 404, but again, you'll need another machine to send the message (i.e. MPC).

It would go like this for my setup: Plug in the pedal to the MPC, assign it to a MIDI note that translates to the desired pad on the SP, and when you hit the pedal, it will trigger it, regardless of which bank is lit. Or, if you have a keyboard as your controller you have access to 2 (or 3?) simultaneous banks across the keys(I think on the 404 it defaults to banks C and D).

CapStirl wrote:
What I want to do: load a pattern by pressing a MIDI foot pedal that sends messages including but not limited to program and bank changes, so I can load a pattern for each song at the same time as I send them to pedals and loopers.

I'm having a little trouble deconstructing this sentence, but as far as loading samples or patterns, that for sure cannot be done with a pedal, because the load command is a combination of buttons that exists within the language of the 404 (no MIDI out).

For triggering samples or patterns, this could be accomplished by using a pedal but you could only play one pattern at a time, or one pad per pedal.

Kind of got me thinking though... I wonder if using a foot pedal in a keyboard controller as a sustain pedal would allow you to hold GATE/LOOP settings on pads, so you could use less fingers at once.

Post subject: Re: Loading patterns using MIDI
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 am 

OK, that's what I feared. I am using the SP to load up a selection of backing tracks, which more or less play once over 6 minutes, or others that are intro/verse/choruse/ repeating. And it does that brilliantly - I have about 30 song setups on my SP.

What I was hoping for was to have a button on a pedal board for "song 1" and one for "song 2" and so forth. Can't be done, can't be helped, as my mom would say.

Thanks for replying so quickly, very much appreciated