It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:24 am

Post subject: Sample import problems!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:28 pm 

Hello everyone.
I've had my SP-404 for a couple of days now, and somethings buggin me:

I can't import the waw files i want to import. I've done everything the manual says, and everything you guys have suggested in other posts, but it still wont succeed. When I try to import it either says "Uns" or "FUL".

I now the issue about the sample rate, which may cause the "Uns" to flash. I'm using mac, and I don't know any way to check the sample rate.

But my main concern is the "FUL" message! I'm using a 1GB card and even when I try to import 340kb of samples, after a few seconds it says "FUL" and have only imported a handfull of samples...

I've tried to format the flashcard several times, but still doesn't work.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Best Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:39 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I always put sample into my sampler by hook up to the rca in, with a turntable or what ever other source I need, but my guess would be that maybe you are loading the samples into the internal banks(A/B) which have a small amount of memory and could be giving you a FUL message, see if there is a way to pick one of the other pad banks when your loading your sounds. I would also try downloading the 404 firmware update from http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?dsection=d_support&ObjectId=728
it seems to refer to fixing a .WAV problem where the system thinks a file is too large when exporting but this might also pertain to importing as well. As far as being able to to tell the bit rate and sampling frequency of your samples, you can download audacity and load a sample and get info on it.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:36 am 

Thanks for your answer. The tip about Audacity was helpful! That sorted out tmy bitrate problem.

I've now tried to put my flashcards into another 404, and the same thing happens. That means its not my sp who is the problem.

I haven't tried to update with the firmware because it doesn't work with mac osx, so I'll have to do it from a pc.
I'm not importing the samples into the internal memory, so the FUL message is not provoced by that.
But what is it then?

Could it be my flashcards? (They're not on Rolands list of cards that work properly! I use a Kingston 1GB and a Lexar Premium 1GB)

Could it be the fact that I'm importing the files from a Mac?

I'm frustrated! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Well you should be able to download and install the update, I have a macbook and just downloaded it and unzipped the file and inside the folder was a .bin file which is a standard universal binary file. As for you not being able to load the samples, maybe you don't have them named correctly, it has to be something like KickDrum_01.WAV or KickDrum_01.AIF and each number after the underscore pertains to the pad it will load to(don't use any marks other than _ and . in the filename) If it's not a .WAV or .AIF file it won't load nor will anything compressed like .mp3. You can only load a maximum of 120 files and they all have to be placed on the CF cards root directory, which basically just means the first folder on your desktop that represents the CF card, you can't use any sub folders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:55 pm 

I'm confused about the update, this is what Rolands webpage says about the update:

"Note: Not compatible with Mac OSX. Please use Windows PC or Mac OS9 for updating."

But if you say that it works fine with your macbook, maybe I should try it.

Could please clarify the name-giving of my sample files a bit? It confuses me alot! Some people says that the 404 places the samples in alphabetical order, and you say that the number after the underscore defines which pad the file is assigned to... I'm confused, and I think this could be the main thing in my import problem! What should I do?

I know that I have to place the files in the root folder of the card, and I have done that. When an import has succeeded I've still been able to see the sample in the root folder of my card, should I delete the file from this destination after succesful import or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:26 pm 

tenniz wrote:
I'm confused about the update, this is what Rolands webpage says about the update:

"Note: Not compatible with Mac OSX. Please use Windows PC or Mac OS9 for updating."

No, it should work on the Mac OS. I don't know where you found that mesage saying that it would not.

tenniz wrote:
Could please clarify the name-giving of my sample files a bit? It confuses me alot! Some people says that the 404 places the samples in alphabetical order, and you say that the number after the underscore defines which pad the file is assigned to... I'm confused, and I think this could be the main thing in my import problem! What should I do?

The files are imported alphabetically, starting with the pad you press during the sample import process and working your way up. For example, if you have five samples and start with Pad 1, the samples will be installed on Pads 1, 2, 3 , 4, and 5 in that order If you want your samples on Bank D and start importing them on Pad 9, then it they will go on pads 9, 10, 11 and 12, and then it will switch over to Pad Bank E and put the last sample on Pad 1 of that bank.

tenniz wrote:
I know that I have to place the files in the root folder of the card, and I have done that. When an import has succeeded I've still been able to see the sample in the root folder of my card, should I delete the file from this destination after succesful import or what?

You can if you want. The samples will be copied and saved into the SP's native file format. Bear in mind that if you want to import more samples and don't want to import these files again, then obviously you will have to delete them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:38 pm 

It's ASCII code order isn't it? Every character in the file name, number or alpha, has a code value, the lowest comes first. If the first characters of all your .wavs are the same, it goes by the first next one that's different.
http://www.asciitable.com/
So, numbers come before letters, uppercase (caps) come before lowercase.
So...
C_01.wav will load before C_02.wav
Kicklofi.wav will load before kicklofi.wav.

If you want C_01.wav to load to bank C pad 1, you will have to have that bank/pad selected as your import destination (see the manual) - that determines where the first sample goes, not the naming of the files. Which .wav on the card actually goes to Bank C pad 1 will be the one with the lowest ascii code order.

Good luck!
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:16 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Sounds good to me thanks for helping me answer this question, I don't import files on a card for sampling in the Sp-303 I use a turntable and the RCA jack, but I do use computers and memory cards a lot but was unaware that you have to press the pad to select sample destination in the Sp-404.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 pm 

hi all. well.. i have the same problem here. since you guys talked about the update i decided to try it out and it allways stop at the last 2%. i tryed to install the 1.04 again and it stops at 2% to. it gives the this on the screen: FE7. now my 404 doesnt turn on. :cry:
can you guys help me out?
thanks.

(PS: i followed 100% the read-me file about how to update)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:46 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I would call Roland A.S.A.P, that sounds terrible I would be so pissed off. Damn it sounds like the 404's system has a lot more bugs than the 303, I never had any problems like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:35 pm 

Yikes!

Possibly you have a faulty CF card, or the reader on your computer is screwed, or the 404 was faulty in the first place, or by some chance, your flash cards are not compatable.

Try the factory default reset. Not sure what it is, but I think there's a command where you switch it on with one or more buttons pressed and it clears everything back to factory condition (minus the factory loaded samples in the internal banks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:24 pm 

after trying to update for several times now he turns on but shows the SP-404 then it shows Err for 1 second and it reboots by itself and allways shows the same thing. i tryed to initialize the internal memory but it doesnt work. it keeps rebooting by itself. :cry: