It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

Post subject: SP-808 (EX) - Collabo Tape
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:08 pm 

Hey Fam,

since there are now quite a few sp-808-headz in this forum (again), i would be happy to do a collabo-tape focussing on the sp-808 (EX).
I am pleased, Girru is already participating! Who else?

Funny movie titles for naming the tape come to mind:
-808 Ways to Die
-808 Bullets
-The Hateful 808

Post subject: Re: SP-808 (EX) - Collabo Tape
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:46 pm 

10 things I 8-0-Hate About You (10 tracks, obviously).

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:59 pm 

Liking this already, love the title ideas but what's the theme?
Do you have one in mind or is it an open idea kinda thing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:37 am 

I am totally open regarding theme or title.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:50 pm 

Well, I admire your spirit setting this up although I'm not sure how many takers you you'll get with the forum login messed up like it is right now. For what it's worth though, I like the titles "808 Ways to Die" and "10 Things I Hate-0-8 About You".

If it came down to just the two of you, I suppose you could get away with "8" tracks, meaning you'd need to do four tracks each if you went with "808 Ways to Die", or as Girru suggested, 10 tracks meaning five tracks each if you went with "10 Things I Hate-0-8 About You".

I like both titles but if forced to choose I'd go with "808 Ways to Die" cause it means you keep in line with the number "8" and you'd only need to do four tracks each instead of five.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:18 pm 

Thanks for your input, SP-USER, good ideas! I think we stay open for every808y who wants to join, but if it's just girru and me in the end, i'll be happy, too. :)

@Girru: Do you have a theme in mind? I will start this evening with first beat. I think i do drum pattern on digitakt or sp404og, but main work (samples, efx, bass, vocals) will be 808. Is this fine?
Edit: Maybe i've got the ehrgeiz to do all on the 808.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:33 pm 

Do what you like. My tracks won't have a theme, if that's what you mean. Well, they'll probably be about my ex, as usual, as far as instrumental music with the odd bit of acapella can be 'about' anything. It's gonna take me a long time to get 5 tracks, lolz. That's about a 6 month output for me, coz I try not to do 'beats' per se but 'songs', sorta.

There must be more 808 users on this site? What about Mr Swift?

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:55 pm 

Girru wrote:
There must be more 808 users on this site? What about Mr Swift?

I think he currently has his mind on other things, like an MPC X, but naturally he is surely by now wondering if he should go ahead or stick to his SP-808 and see if Roland releases an SP-808MKII. After all, if the jump from SP-808 to SP-808MKII is as big as the jump from SP-404 to SP-404MKII was, I'm guessing it's going to be one heck of a beast (and an MPC X killer).

Just sayin' :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:22 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
It'll be a no show from me at the moment I'm afraid.

I've a ton of other stuff on the go..I'm in the process of selling my house,I've only just moved cities to live with my partner and my father passed away very recently from Alzheimer's so I'm dealing with probate,soliciters etc.

It's been hectic as fuck ,as you can probably understand .

Things are only just getting back to normal ..but this shit is taking up all my time right now.

SP 808 MK 2 ?

No ,that will never happen I reckon, unfortunately.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:42 pm 

Danswift wrote:
SP 808 MK 2 ?

No ,that will never happen I reckon, unfortunately.

I dunno though, I think they might, cause let's face it they designed two units when they brought the MC line back, so it stands to reason they'd do something like that with the SP line too. If they do, I reckon SP-404MKII and SP-808MKII will be the two models they bring back.

Sorry to hear about your father btw, and you have my sympathy for having to deal with solicitors, I absolutely despise solicitors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:39 pm 

@spuser if it wasn't for social media appeal and how quickly it became the face of making beats in this current phase we are in, the mk2 wouldn't have come out i dont think. unless 808 goes through the same hype and years of focused attention i highly doubt an 808mk2. 404mk2 just was marketably the most logical imo and where it was worth to make good upgrades etc for the return they'll get in praise, media attention, feedback, etc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:07 pm 

Jaytreaze wrote:
@spuser if it wasn't for social media appeal and how quickly it became the face of making beats in this current phase we are in, the mk2 wouldn't have come out i dont think. unless 808 goes through the same hype and years of focused attention i highly doubt an 808mk2. 404mk2 just was marketably the most logical imo and where it was worth to make good upgrades etc for the return they'll get in praise, media attention, feedback, etc

Sounds feasible, but bear in mind that Roland aren't going to develop the updates used in the SP-404MKII and only put them to use in the SP-404MKII, they're going to want to cash-in on that development in as many ways as possible, and putting it into an SP-808MKII would be an obvious way to do it, so as the saying goes, "Never Say Never"!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:00 pm 

MV-8000 was the 808mkII, and the MV-1 after that, to a degree. Ain't gonna revive a forgotten unrespected model. There's no 'brand recognition' dividend to be had for them. The 404 was basically a whole musical subgenre unto itself, like geezer above said, due to social media.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!