It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Post subject: 303 Memory Card Chain Letter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:14 pm 

This may well have been done before but...

Someone does a few patterns of drums or loops/samples, saves to a memory card and sends it by 'real world' post to someone on a mailing list who then adds something with their 303 and then sends it on to the next person on the list and so forth. The card eventually goes back to the original owner who posts the finished track. Like, someone does drums, the next bass/chords, the next chords/melody, and the last vocal samples/effects/atmostnoize. We could have a couple of cards going round at a time, so everyone gets a go on something different. Maybe a few times round it'd make a nice EP or summat?

There's something so romantic about a beat, travelling the world on an old SmartMedia card, hopefully building into something more special with every stop it makes. :lol:

Would work best for groups of 4, I reckon. Any interest?

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Post subject: Re: 303 Memory Card Chain Letter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:34 am 

Run Of The Hind wrote:
There's something so romantic about a beat, travelling the world on an old SmartMedia card, hopefully building into something more special with every stop it makes. :lol:

Aye, sounds very romantic but aren't you forgetting something?
By the time it reaches you again you probably sold your 303!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:24 am 

Ha ha! I'll admit, the odds are probably quite high! :lol: But, nah, I'm bloody loving it this time! Doing that last beat battle was a joy! The previous times I've owned it, I'd decided probs within 20 mins that it wasn't for me (mostly coz my most-used effects, reverb and "tape echo", are pretty horrendous on the 303 and there's obvs no individual outs, meaning I can't easily use the ones on the VS) but something's just 'clicked' in my head this time. Its limitations have got my juices flowing and, with the sample tuning and drum mute group biznezz of the Akai S20 working in tandem, I SHOULD :lol: be set! Yeah, there are necessary work-arounds for some things but, if I'm honest, I love having to do that shit anyway! :lol:

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:16 pm 

Run of the Hind! This is a great idea!
I don't know how many active 303masterz are around - but we could think of alternatives, too... sad, that the whole sp-line use different media for saving and different data structure, i think. Maybe sending good old tapes around?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:06 pm 

TGN wrote:
Run of the Hind! This is a great idea!
I don't know how many active 303masterz are around - but we could think of alternatives, too... sad, that the whole sp-line use different media for saving and different data structure, i think. Maybe sending good old tapes around?

I might need to test it again but im pretty sure you can save samples on a 303 card and play those samples back on a 505 with the same card

https://soundcloud.com/spliffsoldier
https://rickjones757.bandcamp.com/

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:50 pm 

I'd expect that'd be the case, as they were very similar in many ways and came out around the same time. I think the 505 was basically as 303 with a screen for editing etc and a fancier sequencer. And therein lies the rub - I'd be surprised if patterns carried over tho, as I imagine the sequencer on the 505 is very different. Don't know for sure - I had one a while ago but I bought it only for future live stuff that never happened so sold it before I got to use it, lolz.

You could do multiple chains, of course. All the people that have machine-compatible SDs do one, CFs do one, SMs...

Ha ha, yeah - for people with tape 4-tracks...do a track each!
Man, I miss my MG614 and 234!

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:18 am 

Don't forget to put "MAGNETIC MEDIA - DO NOT X-RAY" on the packet if you're planning to do it on tape, otherwise it could get wiped at customs while going through their machines. That said I've often wondered whether those machines really would wipe a tape, and even if they would I cannot imagine they take notice of such labels.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:38 am 

I wonder if we are enough sp-headz here - who is interested and will partizipate...!?