It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:38 am

Post subject: The SP202 is considered bad gear?????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:47 am 

This guy from Austria always talks about Bad Gear. But to be fair, he does point out many of its weaknesses.

https://youtu.be/ioFk8_xSgBQ

Post subject: Re: The SP202 is considered bad gear?????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:51 pm 

Problem with what he's doing is that the name of his videos are suggestive, not factual, and your question here is a perfect example of the effect Social Media has on peop0le and why it is poisonous and damaging.

First time I saw his channel was when I saw him cover the JX-8P. I saw "Bad Gear" before "JX-8P" and coudn't help but wonder if he was trashing it. Luckily he never, which is just as well cause if I could bring back any vintage synth as brand new right now, the JX-8P would be it (but with multitimbrality and the PG-800 controls built in to the main panel).

Trust Roland to fuck-up again. It's cool they added it to the Boutique format, but a missed opportunity that they didn't release it as a full-size 61-Key synth with a nice, spacious knob and slider-filled panel.

I'd love to see a full-sized 61-key version of it, I want one so bad but I'm far too poor to be taking chances on old analogue gear since the repairs are prohibitively expensive. If it weren't for worrying about that, I'd have bought a JX-8P and PG-800 programmer years ago because it has to be one of if not my favourite of all the analogues. There's just something very 80s and futuristic sounding about the JX-8P that I love.

I find it hilarious that that a corporation like Roland is met by serious competition from Behringer, yet still fails to see opportunities like this. At this point the decision making is so blatantly bad, I have to wonder if the company is being maliciously destroyed by from within by a rogue employee ensuring they make all the wrong decisions.

So anyway, I doubt the 202 is "Bad Gear", I don't own one but its model number suggests it's going to be limited in ways that its larger siblings are not. I mean, the guy even has the MicroBrute on there and there is no way that could ever be considered "Bad Gear".

Just another YouTuber likely poisining perception of gear with suggestive click-bait video naming. There's another channel out there with some guy who appears to have built his channel solely by putting the words "Snake Oil?" on seemingly every thumbnail he uses.

The only "Snake Oil" I detected so far after tolerating three videos of his, was himself and his channel, but yeah, YouTube (and in fact the world) is full of these characters these days thanks to Social Media.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:26 pm 

To be fair, he does his homework on all the whiners out on the internet who diss the gear he reviews. But he isn’t that bad at making a track from what he reviews.

The 202 was like the seed and eventually sprouted the other SPs as the years went on. I’m sure Roland has learned what needs to be improved and yeah, if people think the 202 is considered bad gear because it’s so limited, clearly shouldn’t buy one. Some gear deserves its trashing. Some might just get bashed because of limited memory or confusing menu diving. (Lots of 80’s synths cut corners and hid a synths features in cryptic LCD screens to be fair)

I’ve told him to use & review a Yamaha SU200. I’d love to see what he’d make of it. But he hasn’t done it yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:48 pm 

No no, just to be clear, I'm not really dissing the guy (I've enjoyed the videos I've seen), I'm just dissing the click-bait mentality of these people in general (which is done purely to survive among YouTube's manipulative algorithms).

So in examples like this, perfectly good gear could be on the receiving end without it even being founded, or in other words, the manufacturer pays due to the mentality of the sheeple who believe anything they read or hear, fulled by the psychopaths behind YouTube. People end-up paying with their mental health, and perfectly innocent manufacturers (especially small startups) can end up paying by going bankrupt. It makes no difference to the psychopaths behind YouTube, because they have so much power they are completely unaccountable (and this will remain so until the shit hits the fan).

The problem is that these platforms, Facebook, YouTube etc (and the blatant psychopaths behind them all) are not accountable for the mental illness and damage they cause to society (and won't be until the shit hits the fan and the public make them pay for their crimes against humanity).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:32 pm 

lmfao i'm not about to read this whole thread, but i fucking love AudioPilz and his bad gear show!!!! i was so fucking hyped when he dropped the sp-202 video you have no idea :mrgreen:

if you haven't watched much of the series, i can sort of understand why you'd think the video was a diss, but if you have watched the series you'd know that he features legendary old gear (gear that is both loved and hated by many, i.e. Korg Microkorg, Yamaha DX7, etc.) and that even if it's featured in his "bad gear" series, it doesn't mean he is bashing that particular piece of gear. if you watched the whole episode, you'd see that he attests to the sp-202's capability in many different aspects despite it's SERIOUS limitations! AND he cooks up some FIRE with the DR-202 and SP-202 combo!! this is the way a lot of the episodes go, he quotes negative reviews and explains why people hate a piece of gear then goes on to make some fire shit with the gear and rub it in all the haters' faces!! i love it so much <3

the sp-202 was never intended to be a powerful workstation, let alone a workstation AT ALL
it was created and marketed as a budget DJ tool for simple looping and triggering of samples during live performances or for simple noodling at home, or for making simple unprofessional tunes at home with the help from the DR-202, THAT'S IT
but people really loved it! it obviously sold well, and people were using it for even more than what it was intended for, so BOSS/Roland decided to step it up with their next budget sampler, the SP-303 (and i obviously don't need to vouch for this one) :wink:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:26 pm 

zindan wrote:
this is the way a lot of the episodes go, he quotes negative reviews and explains why people hate a piece of gear then goes on to make some fire shit with the gear and rub it in all the haters' faces!! i love it so much <3

This is why I look past the click-bait mentality of the titles of his videos. That said, in the JX-8P video, he did ask the question "Is it the saviour that will bring back the 80s in all its glory?" and then commented "Most probably not.".

We all have our opinions but seriously, there could not be a more untrue statement about the JX-8P. It sounds pure 80s and being released right bang in the middle of the 80s (1985 to be exact) genuinely is pure 80s and has a futuristic signature sound about it that the other analogues just don't have.

I honestly felt like kicking his fucking arse into orbit when he said that :lol:

Even his own work on it sounds pure 80s, he made a great job of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ9RNoirtI8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:39 am 

zindan wrote:
lmfao i'm not about to read this whole thread, but i fucking love AudioPilz and his bad gear show!!!! i was so fucking hyped when he dropped the sp-202 video you have no idea

This is probably the only time Zendan has been logical. 100% he takes gear that people complain about and makes awesome songs out of it. I don't think it is click bait, I think he's labelling it as it is and as the gear has already been ostracized as "bad gear" all he is doing is showing how useful it can be. If he dropped a video on the sp-202 it probably increased sales and doubled the value of Zendans sp202. I was selling refurbished sp-202's for around $100-$180 a year ago, now hipsters are paying around $350. I picked up a 3630 compressor for $30 cause of his videos.

Last week a guy bought a Dr-202 drum machine from me cause he said he saw it on "bad gear" and instantly wanted one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:34 pm 

He still plays on click-bait mentality and I'm guessing the comment he made about the JX-8P was "probably" because he knew the opposite to be true, or in other words, he "probably" knew it would cause a lot of comments putting him right (which not surprisingly, it did).

I've enjoyed the videos I've seen of his, but neverthelss, click-bait and verbage designed to drive people to the comments are a by-product of Google molding the behaviour of the creators on their platform (therefore breeding and rewarding dishonesty). The ones who pay the biggest price are those on the receiving end of it, not Google, not the creator.

Just the other week I saw a notice on YouTube's front page, attempting to fool the public into thinking that they are all about looking out for the publics best interest. Directly below that notice, placed before millions of people, was a couple of videos on how to defeat locks!!!

Again, they get away with it simply because they're far too powerful and are accountable to precisely nothing and no one. People might think they are accountable, but in reality they have so much power that they are not.

So like I said, I'm not singling-out the guy in question here, I generally like his videos, I'm just pointing out the reality of what's going on and the effect it has on society without them even realising it. At the end of the day a person could come away from that video believing that the JX-8P is probably not what you want if you want to sound like the 80s.

That's a problem when the opposite is true, because when one sheeple believes it and decides to post about it itself, another bunch of sheeple then read it thereby giving it the domino effect (the deadly domino effect of social media). It's a problem and is the reason there are so many mentally ill people out there, shaped by social media and its catastrophic effect on society.

Anyway, glad to hear you shifted a piece of gear!

BTW, for anyone interested in the cream of 80s analogue poly-synths, here's a more educational and factual video about Roland, the JX-8P and it's SUPER-JX partner in crime. The creator of this video gets a lot more respect from me because he's being truthful, not click-baity or provocative. There's a few big give-aways in there about why the JX-8P (along with the DX7) defined the sound of the 80s, and why if you want the sound of the 80s, the JX-8P (along with the DX7) should be top of the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pfzEcwNVh4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm 

https://youtu.be/iF5RoVv7Cy0

This guy reviews the older gear, but doesn’t necessarily make a beat from it. But does take you back to when it dropped & what impact it had. Or didn’t. But I think it got listed in the bad gear post as well.

https://youtu.be/ccQSNhj-YLw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm 

Headphones wrote:
https://youtu.be/iF5RoVv7Cy0

cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 pm 

Just wanted to add, I should have added the CASIO Phase Distortion synthesizers to the list of synths you need to sound like the 80s. Just watched this new video from Sonic State ...

Big Up CASIO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9_HkZMKzs