It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Post subject: Defective unit?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 am 

Hello,

I just received a 202 from an ebay seller and fired it up. Unfortunately, things aren't going so well. Hopefully there are solutions, and the problem is that I don't know how to use it...

1) Pressing the TIME or DELAY button does nothing. All of the other effects work. They all illuminate, and the knob sets the parameter. Both TIME and DELAY don't illuminate, and twisting the knob doesn't affect the samples.

2) I'm assuming hifi/standard/lofi can only be set and changed during recording. The same for mono/stereo, right? So I'm assuming that's not a problem.

3) Normal/Reverse isn't doing anything. Pressing the button doesn't affect the samples in any way, and neither option is illuminated in the first place.

4) This is the biggest issue. The unit is only playing one sample at a time. It's behaving as though it's monophonic. The 202 has four voices, right? I should be able to play two stereo or four mono samples at once, right?

Thank you for reading, and hopefully you (yes, YOU lol) can help :)

Post subject: Re: Defective unit?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:41 pm 

Sounds like you just tried the Card Banks C/D

The Card Banks (C/D) can only play one sample at a time. Time/Delay don't work on card samples. Card samples take more polyphony, you can only play 1 sample from card at a time or one sample from C/D and one from A/B.

Use the internal banks if you want to make beats on the sp-202 only. the C/D Bank isn't that useful for that (but useful to take long samples to pitch etc. and send them to another sampler)

so i assume your sp-202 isn't broke. download the manual for a better understanding (yeah i know the machine is simple to use, but there are some hints in it nonentheless).

peace

ps: watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF7VTyBD0kg

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

Post subject: Re: Defective unit?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 pm 

Thank you so much!

I just saw your post, so I haven't tried it yet, but thank goodness there's an explanation. Interestingly, the only sample in bank A/B is a nearly inaudible tone that you can only hear clearly with ring mod. So yeah, I've only been able to try banks C/D. I thought the 202 would be a cakewalk after having a 404 for a month lol