It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Post subject: Re: upgrade to 404?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:21 pm 

wimmels wrote:
zendanisdead wrote:
if you're sampling from the line out of a laptop it is inherently going to be shitty unless you have an expensive, aftermarket sound card for your laptop with very good specs.

So should I just sample via a mixer?

what i do to avoid the shitty soundcard noise is use my 404sx sd...
you can load shit on the sd from your computer then just plug it into your sx and do whatever with it, sample it into another sampler, whatever.

idk what you mean by sample via a mixer, elaborate?

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 pm 

wimmels wrote:
FWIW I'm strictly a hardware guy, no computer interface whatsoever, if that matters. Bells and whistles don't impress me, I just want a better-sounding version of what I already have. Thanks!

btw, you're not strictly hardware at all if you're sampling off a computer!

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 am 

wimmels wrote:
The difference in kHz between the 202 and the 404 seems negligible, which makes me think, again, that I'm just doing something wrong when I'm sampling from line / mic (usually line) on the 202. Everything has that gritty, lo-fi sound, no matter what I do. I've tried experimenting with the peak volume: I tried recording lower than what seemed correct and the result was hiss, and then louder than what it seemed correct and the sample lost all character and was (predictably) blown out and click-y on the loop.

How do you adjust your volume levels if you're sampling from a laptop? Seems to me there are three different volume levels to consider: iTunes, your laptop, and then the 202. Do you just unity gain the source sounds and adjust from there? Is there an easier way to do this I'm not considering?

The difference between 31.25kHz and 44.1kHz is actually rather significant. It's exactly why your samples don't sound like your original material on the 202. This measurement in kHz, when talking about digital audio, is called sample rate. Sample rate is the number of times per second a slice of sound is captured. The lower this number is, the lower the detail is going to be when this sound is reproduced.

32kHz is about what FM radio would be if it was a digital signal. Most likely you are sampling some sort of streaming, lossy format like mp3's, aac's, youtube, etc. They usually have a sample rate of 44.1-48.0kHz, even though they may have different bit rates (kbps), which lower bit rates will also reduce character and detail. So, you are significantly reducing the quality every time you sample into the 202. It's awesome for that, if that's what you're going for.

Also, you should never sample a line level audio source into a mic input. You could easy burn up the mic input if it was cranked all the way up and the line source was loud. I destroyed a creative labs soundcard years ago by doing this on accident. Shit was smoking. Mic inputs have amplifiers, line inputs don't.

Always record your samples as loud as you can, to avoid white noise. But not so loud they are clipping. If your peak light is staying on, then it's too loud and it will sound like shit. You only want the peak light to occasionally light up, where peaks in the music are, like kick drums, etc. I believe SP peak lights come on at -3db. You want to stay under 0db. This goes for all recordings.

On volume levels, you always want to adjust volume/gain by starting with the source. In your case, turn iTunes all the way up, then adjust your laptop volume (probably somewhere between half way and full volume, depending on how much gain it has), then adjust the input level on the SP. If iTunes is turned way down, and the laptop is turned down, then you crank the SP input level all the way up, you run chances of recording white noise with your samples. Always adjust volume/gain from the original source first, being the loudest. This also goes for all recording.
THEGREAT wrote:
ive had no issues sampling from a laptop tbh . i often transfer beat recordings back to sampler via laptop. no noticable sound difference.

to me . if you were sampling from a tape deck or maybe bad quality youtube video will cause issues

Agreed. Like I said before, running audio through anything extra is going to color it to some degree. This may be barely noticeable to not noticeable at all. A headphones out on a laptop is a line level signal. You would only run into issues if the original source is shit, the laptop jack is messed up (grounding issues can create noise or buzzing), or you are using a excessive length of cable (over 25 feet) on a unbalanced (rca, 1/8", 1/4" mono instrument cables) signal source. Plugging long lengths of cables together can actually become radio antennas and create interference on your audio signal unless they are balanced (XLR, 1/4" TRS) or you use a DI box. Keep your cables shorter than 25 feet.

Using a mixer wouldn't help you unless you are just trying to get more gain or are needing EQ adjustments.

You do all this, then you should get the best recorded samples you can get with the 202. If you want better than that, then you will have to upgrade to something that samples at higher sample rates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm 

Tremendously helpful thread. Thank you all so much. I'll experiment a bit and post an update later on, maybe with a Soundcloud link if all goes well. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 pm 

Respect Hungryman, that's a full on class right there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm 

Anytime fellas!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:49 pm 

wimmels wrote:

The difference in kHz between the 202 and the 404 seems negligible

It isn't, even the light difference between OG and SX 404 does a big difference to me. So between 202 and 400... i let you imagine. I still consider 202 Hi-fi pretty good tho // if you want a really transparent sound, go for SX or the new A, the "old" gears will always colors your sound.