It is currently Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:19 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:29 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Des Moines, WA
It’s weird. MC101s we’re plentiful on the used market. Now it’s just TR-6s’s on the used market. Not sure why that is. But that might be the next goal.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:11 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 7721
Location: France-Italy
one thing i miss on the great mc-909 is that you don't have an eq per track, but just a main eq for all the tracks; i was surprised to find this cool feature on the mc101; on the mc909 to avoid this i use the filters (yes you have one filter per track, cool) is not the same as an eq but...
a nice point on the mc909 is that on the Rythm track you can tweak every parameter per step (an ancient parameter locks thing) so you can tweak ADSR of pitch, amp, pan and filter or change the mute group or reverb amount or other stuff per step...
but, above all, on the Tone tracks the 909 share the roland 4tones thing (like on XV an JV synths) so for synthesis is a good way to experiment: you can tweak pitch/amp/filters, 2LFO, fake FM and other weird stuff X 4 tones; the 4tones stuff is also present on the Rythm track, with drum samples (but you don't have 2LFO and other cool stuff on the Rythm); so you can experiment also making patches with 4 samples x patch (tone track) or per step (Rythm track) instead of the roland existing tones or rythm...you can also mute/unmute each of the 4tones to create audio effects and such...

_________________
http://illtrovatore.bandcamp.com/
Youtube
http://www.myspace.com/illtrovatore


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:34 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 1166
Just wanted to let Headphones know to be careful of the MC-707 when it comes to the pads. I've never tried one, but when I was going to buy one I kept reading about the pads not being up to much, people saying they needed to really smash them, and them often not firing etc.

Whether it's down to a sensitivity setting, I don't know, but if I were you I'd try one first if you haven't already, or at least be sure you can return it if it turns out to be true.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:08 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Des Moines, WA
If I decided to get a MC707, it would be the dark horse purchase, or if I’m just not getting anywhere with the MC909’s features. At least if you purchase a 101/707, you can join Roland’s sound pack page with their subscription for the year or whatever. But non working pads is probably something you can work around with all the midi pad controllers on the market. Remains to be seen if I decide to get a 707. I’d prefer a 101 just so I can take it with me to work or connect it to my other mini synths. But not sure about the 707 just yet.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:55 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 1166
To be fair I personally don't think there's anything wrong with the pads and I think the reason people prefer the MC-101 pads is because they are not velocity sensitive, which means hitting them at any velocity will trigger them at full level or whatever level you have set for velocity.

I reckon it's either that or a pad sensitivity setting somewhere, but either way, just something to be aware of.

I like the MC-101 as well, love the form factor and you might be surprised at how much you can edit that synth because you can use the software editor to reveal parameters to the four control knobs and save that configuration as a preset. Once you've saved it to the SD card you no longer need the software editor to edit those parameters, thay are made available on the MC-101. You only get four custom parameters, but if you're clever about it you can get more out of it through the use of macros, all directly editable on the MC-101.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:57 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Des Moines, WA
Yeah, ideally it’d be dope to have both. Because any limitations the 101 can’t do or can do but with a shit ton more menu diving or difficult access the 707 can do, then just back it up to the memory card, switch it to the 101, and it should be good to go. On paper anyway. But I want the 909 first before either of those. It’s older, has a different sound engine, and has a bigger screen, better sampler, and is expandable with SRX cards. So although it’s as big as a cash register, it’s a great DAW in a box with tons of features to discover.

There’s not much point in comparing a 707 to 909, but paired together, there’s probably more tracks & polyphony to work with. I wish the 909 had more midi connections, to slave multiple synths/samplers/fx, but I can always pick up a midi patch bay to do that.

Probably waiting until the end of this year before I bother to get a 404 mk2. I mean I can order it ASAP, but to be on a waiting list until September/October?? Naw, sorry. I’ll wait. Other gear can keep me occupied until they’re more available.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:04 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 7721
Location: France-Italy
SP-USER wrote:
I like the MC-101 as well, love the form factor and you might be surprised at how much you can edit that synth because you can use the software editor to reveal parameters to the four control knobs and save that configuration as a preset. Once you've saved it to the SD card you no longer need the software editor to edit those parameters, thay are made available on the MC-101. You only get four custom parameters, but if you're clever about it you can get more out of it through the use of macros, all directly editable on the MC-101.


personally, coming from the mc909 (everything in your face and also a big confortable and useful screen) this is the only weak point of this machine; i like to find new synths sounds and the fact to use the pc for that it's a new thing for me that i don't like that much: i mean, this is a portable machine and the fact that i have to use a pc to edit is not my stuff; saying that, i don't know if there is possibility to use a smartphone to do it; i still didn't tried any of that (i have the mc101 since just 4 days) but i saw that with the Roland soft you have all those possibilities to tweak

_________________
http://illtrovatore.bandcamp.com/
Youtube
http://www.myspace.com/illtrovatore


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:18 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 1166
@Headphones
Bruh, I love the MC-909 for looking like a huge cash register :lol:

On of my biggest issues with modern gear is that it's not big and spacious enough. Sometimes small works if the form factor and layout is right (the MC-101 being a perfect example of that), but in general the bigger the better in my opinion, and the MC-909 is a very desirable beast!

Back in the day I was wanting to pair-up an MC-909 and VS-1680, but the prices were just too much for me to make it happen and sadly I ended up with neither of them.


@ellaguru

I had a feeling you were going to end-up with an MC-101 eventually :mrgreen:

I feel the same about software editors, but in the case of the MC-101 I see it as a temporary thing. It's perfectly possible to use the MC-101 standalone as a sophisticated sound desgin tool if you take the time to set-up some paramater presets and save them to the SD card. Once you do that, you'll likely never need the software again.

Also, don't forget you can buy a perpetual licence for the software editor now, no need to use that "Cloud Subscription" bullshit at all. You can even get the perpetual licence half price if you wait for a sale.

BTW, here's a video where he made a basic stand-alone analogue modeling synth for the MC-101, all saved to a preset on the card. If he feels he needs to use a different set of parameters, he can simply load-up another preset revealing those parameters instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rjIg9kJ74

So bear that in mind, and of course it has an incredibly powerful effects secion that is already fully aditable stand-alone directly on the MC-101, they have not hidden any of those parameters, you have as much direct stand-alone control over the effects as you do on the MC-707.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the MC-101 does already have some basic editing even before you do all of that, such as basic Filter and LFO settings etc. Another thing to bear in mind is that because it's a sampler and resampler with a sequencer, you can layer your various edits on multiple tracks, and sample that to a new sample. This means you can automate pitch and filter changes while resampling the result to a new sample, all stand-alone and all directly on the MC-101. This gives you the sort of synthesis abilities you get with the software editor anyway, it's just done different.

Be creative bro - be cunning - and enjoy!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:16 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 7721
Location: France-Italy
SP-USER wrote:
I had a feeling you were going to end-up with an MC-101 eventually :mrgreen:

I feel the same about software editors, but in the case of the MC-101 I see it as a temporary thing. It's perfectly possible to use the MC-101 standalone as a sophisticated sound desgin tool if you take the time to set-up some paramater presets and save them to the SD card. Once you do that, you'll likely never need the software again.

Also, don't forget you can buy a perpetual licence for the software editor now, no need to use that "Cloud Subscription" bullshit at all. You can even get the perpetual licence half price if you wait for a sale.

BTW, here's a video where he made a basic stand-alone analogue modeling synth for the MC-101, all saved to a preset on the card. If he feels he needs to use a different set of parameters, he can simply load-up another preset revealing those parameters instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rjIg9kJ74

So bear that in mind, and of course it has an incredibly powerful effects secion that is already fully aditable stand-alone directly on the MC-101, they have not hidden any of those parameters, you have as much direct stand-alone control over the effects as you do on the MC-707.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the MC-101 does already have some basic editing even before you do all of that, such as basic Filter and LFO settings etc. Another thing to bear in mind is that because it's a sampler and resampler with a sequencer, you can layer your various edits on multiple tracks, and sample that to a new sample. This means you can automate pitch and filter changes while resampling the result to a new sample, all stand-alone and all directly on the MC-101. This gives you the sort of synthesis abilities you get with the software editor anyway, it's just done different.

Be creative bro - be cunning - and enjoy!

as i said before i will try to use the mc101 as a portable mc909 sort of, it doesn't have the synth editing capabilities the 909 has in itself, i mean in the box, so, apart from that, the 101 has very interesting seq and fx section plus (for me a big plus) an eq per track (and let's don't forget the fact that you could record 4 tracks simultaneously on a daw)...
really, i have to see all that roland software thing (i mean i know it's a powerful thing), but what i mean is the cloud stuff, the subscripiion thing etc those type of things that usually make me mad...
apart from that i'm ok with the 101 and when i bought it i knew before what i was buying

now that i'm thinking, more than a portable mc909 this (the 101) could be considered a portable mc808 because with the 808 sometimes you need a pc to edit the best from that machine

_________________
http://illtrovatore.bandcamp.com/
Youtube
http://www.myspace.com/illtrovatore


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:39 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 1166
ellaguru wrote:
... i have to see all that roland software thing (i mean i know it's a powerful thing), but what i mean is the cloud stuff, the subscripiion thing etc those type of things that usually make me mad...

It makes me mad, too, I will never subscribe to software. Like I said, you can buy it as a 'Perpetual Licence' now, that means permanent, it's not a subscription. You can even buy the Perpetual Licence at 50% Off if you wait for a sale. I saw it going for half price during the Christmas months and it can be purchased from a normal retailer. It's called "Roland Zenology PRO" and is the same as the full cloud version except that it is a permanent licence, not a subscription.

You can also use it as a VST instrument, and by that I mean an actual instrument. It doesn't need to be connected to any ZEN-Core hardware to produce its sound, it's a full-on ZEN-Core synthesizer in its own right, as used in the MC-101 and MC-707 hardware.

ellaguru wrote:
now that i'm thinking, more than a portable mc909 this (the 101) could be considered a portable mc808 because with the 808 sometimes you need a pc to edit the best from that machine
Agreed, it has to be the most powerful portable box out there!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:06 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 1166
This is the version I mean:
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... ument/3UHR

Although it says "Roland Cloud", it's actually a "Lifetime Perpetual Licence". I think the only reason it says "Cloud" is because Roland appear to be branding all of their software as "Roland Cloud" - so just think of it as a brand name.

But anyway, as you can see, they want around £200 for that, but it can be had for around £100 when a sale is on, and to be honest, although I don't use the computer for making music any more, I have to say that's a bargain for what it is cause it's like having endless instances of Roland hardware in your DAW, so the fact you can program your MC with it as well is a bonus!

I actually think it's well worth the £100 it sometimes goes for.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:44 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Des Moines, WA
SP-USER wrote:
@Headphones
Bruh, I love the MC-909 for looking like a huge cash register :lol:

On of my biggest issues with modern gear is that it's not big and spacious enough. Sometimes small works if the form factor and layout is right (the MC-101 being a perfect example of that), but in general the bigger the better in my opinion, and the MC-909 is a very desirable beast!

Back in the day I was wanting to pair-up an MC-909 and VS-1680, but the prices were just too much for me to make it happen and sadly I ended up with neither of them.


@ellaguru


Sometimes bigger is better. Sometimes it’s not. Really depends on what you get for what you spend it on. Some classic gear goes up in value, especially if it’s been upgraded and taken as far as it can go. I coulda decided on a Emu XL7, and insert 3 different ram cards, but problem is: can’t even find any at the moment! No clue how long it would take for one to show up on eBay/GC/Reverb, and although it’s got lotsa knobs, there’s no sampler. And the tiny LCD screen means oceans of menu diving. Ok, a MC101 or TR6S does as well, but as tiny as they are, you gotta expect it. So the MC909 won the race. I might be waiting 2-3 weeks until I see my cash. But I’m soooooo ready to order as soon as it hits my bank!


I had a feeling you were going to end-up with an MC-101 eventually :mrgreen:

I feel the same about software editors, but in the case of the MC-101 I see it as a temporary thing. It's perfectly possible to use the MC-101 standalone as a sophisticated sound desgin tool if you take the time to set-up some paramater presets and save them to the SD card. Once you do that, you'll likely never need the software again.

Also, don't forget you can buy a perpetual licence for the software editor now, no need to use that "Cloud Subscription" bullshit at all. You can even get the perpetual licence half price if you wait for a sale.

BTW, here's a video where he made a basic stand-alone analogue modeling synth for the MC-101, all saved to a preset on the card. If he feels he needs to use a different set of parameters, he can simply load-up another preset revealing those parameters instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rjIg9kJ74

So bear that in mind, and of course it has an incredibly powerful effects secion that is already fully aditable stand-alone directly on the MC-101, they have not hidden any of those parameters, you have as much direct stand-alone control over the effects as you do on the MC-707.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the MC-101 does already have some basic editing even before you do all of that, such as basic Filter and LFO settings etc. Another thing to bear in mind is that because it's a sampler and resampler with a sequencer, you can layer your various edits on multiple tracks, and sample that to a new sample. This means you can automate pitch and filter changes while resampling the result to a new sample, all stand-alone and all directly on the MC-101. This gives you the sort of synthesis abilities you get with the software editor anyway, it's just done different.

Be creative bro - be cunning - and enjoy!


Roland has a hustle going on their Zen Cloud subscription thing. But they also
Got 30-40 years of classic synths, drum machines & effect pedals. So it’s not like you won’t find something to feed your 101/707. But yeah, I don’t use a computer for my gear. I should, but I’d only get a Mac, because I’m just fed up with viruses or having the latest Windows just to run something. Much less a editor. Oh, THEN I’d need to worry about latency from my sound card, and find one that has enough ins/outs for my gear. Soooo yeah, sounds like a headache already. Which is why I’m avoiding getting a computer until all my gear requires it or some shit.

In the mean time, I’m just watching all the MC909 tutorials I can find on YouTube because there aren’t many websites dedicated to the 909. (That I bothered to search for anyway).

It’s funny, I was thinking of just building a modular synth of my dreams, but that can wait another year.

_________________
Livin my life in da underground


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:44 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 7721
Location: France-Italy
SP-USER wrote:

But anyway, as you can see, they want around £200 for that, but it can be had for around £100 when a sale is on, and to be honest, although I don't use the computer for making music any more, I have to say that's a bargain for what it is cause it's like having endless instances of Roland hardware in your DAW, so the fact you can program your MC with it as well is a bonus!

I actually think it's well worth the £100 it sometimes goes for.

damn, i paid the mc101 just 300€...

_________________
http://illtrovatore.bandcamp.com/
Youtube
http://www.myspace.com/illtrovatore


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:46 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 7721
Location: France-Italy
Headphones wrote:
In the mean time, I’m just watching all the MC909 tutorials I can find on YouTube because there aren’t many websites dedicated to the 909. (That I bothered to search for anyway).

this guys has some fine videos about the 909 synthesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFbGIbugpQ&t=1123s

_________________
http://illtrovatore.bandcamp.com/
Youtube
http://www.myspace.com/illtrovatore


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: Opinions on a MC909 as a sequencer/sampler
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:32 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 am
Posts: 1166
Just to clear-up any confusion, I'm not suggesting doing music on a computer. I hate using computers for music and am strictly a stand-alone hardware bloke from now on, so believe me I am totally with you on that.

The only reason I mention the editor is because you can reveal ANY four synthesis parameters of the MC-101 (per preset) and save it to SD card. Once you've done that you never need to touch the computer again. You can definitely do sound design on the MC-101 stand alone if you're clever about setting the right macros that you save to the SD card presets!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: