It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

Post subject: MS1 memory card
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 pm 

I've been browsing this forum and it's been a great source of information. However, I'm still not sure precisely which memory card I need for my Roland MS1.
Is this what i need?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SanDisk-32MB-PCMCIA-PC-Card-Flash-Disk-ATA-Memory-/190477118505?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2c59522c29#ht_1899wt_956
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: MS1 memory card
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:00 am 

If your MS-1 has'nt been upgraded, then that card is too big. Without the OS upgrade, which is 1.13 I believe, it can only accept up to 20MB. But if it does then 40MB is the max and you can use a compact flash to PCMIA adaptor too.

Unfortunately you can't use the adaptor on the old OS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:01 am 

Yeah, without the O.S. upgrade you can only use the max 20mb. If you're ordering them online make sure your SanDisk's have the SDP3B prefix on them in order to work. Your screen will read "Wrong Card" if it's not compatible. I had this happen twice before finally finding the right card.

Last edited by boombapp28 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:33 pm 

Thanks for the info. How do you perform the OS upgrade? Or does that have to do with when the sampler was made?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:34 pm 

Upgrading really is a pain in the ass. Its done via MIDI and use windows XP.

But really, the memory card is just a storage for samples. Doesn't really expand the sample time like the SP series does but can be used for long samples. Besides, you can only play one sample at a time from a memory card, so the 4 polyphony is forfeited :(

Take it from me, if you have a decent DAW or a multitracker, the MS-1's limitations should be nothing to worry about. Check my Bandcamp site, that album was all MS-1 with help from a Tascam DP-01.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:53 am 

A really classic EP. I've already gushed about it enough ever since you dropped it, Ill Green. I hope you've got a follow up to Swamp Water Plague with some more MS-1 heat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:
A really classic EP. I've already gushed about it enough ever since you dropped it, Ill Green. I hope you've got a follow up to Swamp Water Plague with some more MS-1 heat.

Thanks Boom!! That was my first pro-sampler. Before I had a Gemini DS-8 and you had to start and stop the sampler by ear to get the perfect loop or one shot. It had no editing and the only sequencer I had was a turntable and a double cassette player. I learned so much from the 5 years I tolerated that set-up, that when I got the MS-1, I felt free in heaven and the 4 polyphony was a dream because it was tedious to layer sound by cassette. I went to other samplers looking for an upgrade but aint nothing like the MS-1. The only thing that can compare (soundwise) is the MV because they use the same A/D converters but you can't degrade the frequency on the MV like you can on the MS. Aint nothing like it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 am 

ey man can you give me any info about the Gemini DS8? I found the 24 second version in a pawn shop here and it looks like a pretty grittty low sample rate kinda ting. But is it raw or just shit?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:44 am 

KIYANI wrote:
ey man can you give me any info about the Gemini DS8? I found the 24 second version in a pawn shop here and it looks like a pretty grittty low sample rate kinda ting. But is it raw or just shit?

Its the rawest shit you never heard! Had mine for 3 years until I spilled beer on it and it got fucked up within.

Everything I sampled was beefed up 10 fold grittyness. Basslines had a certain distortion that made beats sound beautiful, and songs that had bass faint in the back was amplified upfront. The highs too were some crispy sounds with a grime I can't explain because I haven't heard another sampler that sounded like it.

Believe me, if you looking for a distinct sound in your production with a grime thicker than an MPC3000, DS8 is it. Its basically a digital sampler in an analog circuitry box :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 pm 

I copped it and tried it out for a while. It was dope but the one I got was pretty fucked up and the one sample trigger button was really inconsistent. Also the outputs were dodgy. I ended up just doing a few drums and taking it back but it was cool. I would like to have a good condition one