It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: dusty fingers for life
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:49 pm 

anybody else get hung up smokin some tree and listenin to records when tryin to flip somethin?? usually i spend my mornings and late nights like this, just spend a few hours going through 5 records or so and really just kickin back, listening and learning, i've really come to love the music i sample, and i definitely buy records all over the jazz soul and funk genre spectrum....i think its a good thing for stayin interested in and on top of my sampling game, and really helps increase what i learn from my records so i not only know what things i took from where, but also techniques they might of used, artists that played on the record, around what years i really like, etc etc

that last part is fairly obvious, but i don't know if everybody that samples is as interested in the music as i am, i have heard about dudes that just search for samples, looking in wack places for drum hits, and not really liking a record at all, which i really couldn't imagine throwin away as much money as i do on shit that i'm never gonna listen to again after i rip a small part into my sp, that shit just seems wack as fuck.....

......i think i'm gonna keep collecting records whether sampling is a part of my life or not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:16 pm 
Awesome Member

i feel ya homie, there's a lot of sheisty mofo's who don't really have a passion for the music first. i agree with what u said about collecting music to enjoy even if u weren't producing. music to me is like a lifeline, without it i would have no escape

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 pm 

axiom gates wrote:
music to me is like a lifeline, without it i would have no escape

quoted for absolute truth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:24 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Vinyl just sounds so much better too. You have to listen to the music and enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 am 

i agree w/ all i i bet most of us got shyt we love to much to sample like we cant do it any justice, we try but damn the originals soooooo ogoood.

ive got mines split in two, the onesi love and the ones i bought in bulk and will probably resell i.e christian records (although some were really dope, ima keep) and i cant get into rock as much as id like so its like 50-50 w/ that shyt. idk. my jazz/soul/ hip hop shyt is my treasure! :lol:

http://soundcloud.com/spforumspodcast/podcast-q/s-6qvGJ
[email protected]
http://www.twitter.com/dirtykics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:42 am 

yeah i am assuming based on the realness levels of this board that most people on here that are botherin to sample the kinda shit we're on are taking the time to do it right cause they like doing it, i just get in these modes where i'm not tryin to do anything else but turn a record over and spark a lighter, shit is like therapy when you got some other bullshit goin on, i usually need it heavily it at the end of a semester of school when shits real and i just finished some major bullshit, i just gotta kick back for a few hours and forget about everything except whats coming out of my speakers, my records now run this therapy session, but i used to (and still do from time to time, just not as much as my records) bump my 5 or 6 favorite bone thug weed songs too, gotta love the "bone thugs and a personal blunt" therapy, shit got me by for years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:56 am 

and i def have those tracks that i wanna cut up but just don't know how, the kinda tracks that make you wanna just make a jazz mix of all your favorites to bump cause you don't know what else to do with em, gotta love those tracks, i guess this would be a cool spot to drop any mixes you make of your preferred tracks, i've got a bunch of ideas for making a jazz mix that i'll probably get to over vaca at some point, i'll post it up when i get it done, i've often thought of infusing my beats throughout a jazz mix, i started one in cubase quite a while ago before i ever had my sampler, maybe i'll do somethin like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:34 am 

yo thatll b dope, i was just coolin out myself pumping that rock group THE YES. one of the few rock cats i dig. id love to do some shyt like they have but dont know where to begin????

http://soundcloud.com/spforumspodcast/podcast-q/s-6qvGJ
[email protected]
http://www.twitter.com/dirtykics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am 
555 Award Winner '09

lakai24skate wrote:
axiom gates wrote:
music to me is like a lifeline, without it i would have no escape

quoted for absolute truth

+1 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:31 pm 

man i miss my girl mary jane. oh well...

but seriously, vinyl actually has a greater audial spectrum than digital medium but so few people realize this. even when i was 11 i was rockin vinyl. i had some GENERIC ass player but it worked and i would listen to phil collins, Jacko (thriller and bad) and billy joel over and over cuz it's what i had. but every saturday i would tune into the local radio stations to listen to the latest rap singles. yes the memories are comin' back. anybody remember the song doo doo brown?

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qu5SKraWRs
or this
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNe4oOXMPY&feature=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yo doodoo whatcha got fo' me now. Nice JBL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 pm 

niq names wrote:
yo thatll b dope, i was just coolin out myself pumping that rock group THE YES. one of the few rock cats i dig. id love to do some shyt like they have but dont know where to begin????

check out King Crimson youl will like them even more :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 pm 

axiom gates wrote:
i feel ya homie, there's a lot of sheisty mofo's who don't really have a passion for the music first. i agree with what u said about collecting music to enjoy even if u weren't producing. music to me is like a lifeline, without it i would have no escape

Guess I'm a sheisty mofo,

I sample records like a vampire... Suck the blood out, throw the body away...

:lol:

I enjoy music, but its not why I go after records.. I turn to records when I want samples with the character/colour of sampled vinyl.

I do still occasionally have a mix with my old vinyl collection, but its all really energetic stuff and I'm more into chilled sounds these days so don't have much time for it unless I'm reminiscing.

Maybe things would be different if I had the finances required to keep an up-to-date collection.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:39 pm 
Newcomer of the Year '09

You guys have got to be kidding me. I don't see how smoking weed and making beats comes together. Unless you live alone(not with your parents). I'll have to try putting those two factors together, then. Thank god for the 404's portability :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:11 pm 

8BIT wrote:
I don't see how smoking weed and making beats comes together

word????