It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

Post subject: digging gems
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:32 pm 

What are y'all favorite records y'all found while out digging?

I recently found this Captain Sky joint with some dope breaks on there.

Also how do you deal with stores who over prices records and charge based off discogs? I been to a couple of stores where I find records that I own but they charge like 3 times the price.

https://soulchoppa.com/

Post subject: Re: digging gems
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 am 

If you find a record you already own that costs 3 times as much as you bought it for, be glad that you got it originally, I once raided the dollar section of records before the the dealers realized all the good shit that was in there and upped the prices of em.

Also yeah it is kinda trash when you want something but it costs so much, but then sometimes you just need to pick out that cheap record that youve been eyeing on and just try it out yo, and dont be afraid of going into different genres. I usually like to go to rock because the drums are real fukin loud and crunchy, and you can usually find really good bass or guitar sounds in there too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm 

Def go outside your genre. When I first started I knew the best way to learn was by experience.....the only record store I have within an hour & a half drive is Goodwill......so I would buy records in bulk on ebay, no idea what I was buying, 50 cents to a buck a piece & I would sample & chop anything & everything. Yeah I made some shitty beats, but I learned SOOOOOO much. My beats got better & I knew what to listen for when sampling. I still do it to challenge myself, I'll grab a record at random, sample the first thing. Sometimes I would get something that I thought was horrible, but was able to flip it into something amazing. It's a good feeling. It's addicting.
Sorry to derail the thread, if I remember I'll come back & list some of the good stuff I've found.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:00 pm 

found this record digging in the crates one day. The whole album is fire
https://www.discogs.com/David-Sancious- ... ter/448457
got it for $10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm 

My last score was Bobby Hutchersons Montara and Santana's Oneness and his Illuminations album with Alice Coltrane. I also just got the new nightmares on wax and ras g's the gospel of godspell, which I had never heard of before and I guess was mostly made with a 303, that dude releases a lot of obscure one off stuff.
Also I work at record store and we price stuff of discogs when we don't know what else to do so I have compassion for those stores lol we try our best to keep it fair and reasonable and not fuck people over. It's impossible to know how much every record is worth so discogs is a good place to work from. I definitely agree some places way overprice shit when they do that but I think dedicated record stores (i.e. not thrift stores) usually do an ok job of keeping it fair and not gouging, at least in my area.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:28 pm 

Lou- wrote:
If you find a record you already own that costs 3 times as much as you bought it for, be glad that you got it originally, I once raided the dollar section of records before the the dealers realized all the good shit that was in there and upped the prices of em.

Real ones know, got that one Collins & Collins self-titled for a buck as well as Kashif's debut. VG+baby, wyld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 pm 

I'm at work, so goin off memory, maybe this weekend I'll list some of the stuff in my 'special stack'. Some of these are probably well known, I rarely research what albums have good samples, it's just a preference to find them myself.

Great album, Stanley Clarke, not sure the title of it, but his name is in white on the album cover, thick burnt orange border, pic of him in the middle playin guitar (a lot of good stuff on this one)

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes - Found at least 1 good drum break

Al Martino - To the door of the sun - either the 1st song on side A or 1st on side b, straight fire. Chopped it up, pitched it all the way down, made the bass line/deeper melody then sprinkled piano notes on top at the regular pitch. If you listen to the beginning of the song you'll know what I mean.

The Blue Man Group Live.......hehe........this is actually a cd, my parents saw them live in Vegas.....crazy percussion & guitar, a lot of dark sounds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:22 pm 

I recently came across someone’s discarded collection of old movie soundtracks on vinyl. Monster, sci-fi, & horror. Pretty stoked. Here is what I could afford to go home with... I intend to go back for the rest, but we’ll see.

Attachments:
B468C9A0-5659-409F-A27D-5C5304A5AFF2.jpeg
B468C9A0-5659-409F-A27D-5C5304A5AFF2.jpeg [ 124.33 KiB | Viewed 18639 times ]

SOUNDCLOUD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 pm 

^ nice, hopefully those didn't cost a grip.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 am 

Hmmm... not a grip. These plus 3-4 more for $50. Bout $5 ea. Not really a bargain... I usually dig for $2 or less and persevere through shitty obscure stuff for that 1 song w flipping potential. This is kindof obvious flipping stuff, which usually isn’t my bag, but I also really dig soundtracks so I splurged.

My wife works at a hifi audio shop that has a pretty sweet record collection. Her digging game is waaaay diff then mine. She might drop up to $30 a record and only goes for the 180 g vinyl.

I was trying to explain to someone in her store about how fun it is to search through a stack of dirty records u paid $10-15 for, and listening to scratchy weird shit imagining how to repurpose it, or finding 1 unknown album of solid heat after skimming through a dozen shitty ones. People who don’t know just don’t know. :roll:

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:57 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
I don't bother going record digging anymore these days and just buy online or occasionally from the charity shops but I spent many years digging very seriously prior to that and alongside the old record stores (that would actually be happy to sell you records for reasonable prices) both market stalls and car boot sales used to be a goldmine back in the day and especially in the North of England.

Theres nothing quite like the smell of rat piss,damp vinyl and rotting paper at 6 am in the morning when you're directed towards a mouldy cardboard box full of records by some moody old bastard who's more interested in munching away on a dodgy looking bacon sandwich when you arrive at those kinds of places. 

I've had some tremendous hits from boot sales and second hand markets over the years picking up loads of Jazz, Funk and Soul records etcetera for little money.

My best ever find was a box of rare U.S. Soul 45's from a stall at a second hand market with around a dozen records inside,the dude was asking for £1 each for the tunes which I was more than happy to give him because he had absolutely no idea what he was selling ..the dozen records in that box were worth over a grand in total (with some much more valuable than the others)

The guy even threw in the record box as well hehe...Thanks very much !

I've also gone and crawled around in overalls and got covered in cobwebs, dirt and shit in warehouses full of boxes of old records on a few occasions with some very serious digging friends and unearthed a few gems that way too,an original copy of the St. Vincent's Supersound Latinaires Orchestra lp with the 'Roasted Or Fried' break was a lovely, memorable find on one of those particular digging missions.

Danswift's top tip for early morning digging raids on stalls and car boots ?..always take a flashlight,they come in real handy for inspecting the deadwax matrix numbers on vinyl to find out if it's an original,reissue or a bootleg copy.

There are still bargains to be found out there for sure but things have changed dramatically and the majority of people who sell seem to know what they're actually selling nowadays..the internet has also caused the cost of old records to skyrocket and in the main become way overpriced too.

It was fucking magic while it lasted though..

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 am 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
I recently came across someone’s discarded collection of old movie soundtracks on vinyl. Monster, sci-fi, & horror. Pretty stoked. Here is what I could afford to go home with... I intend to go back for the rest, but we’ll see.

Dope findings! That Kong vs Godzilla is the american version, very rare. I only find the japanese version, they always reprint it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 am 

Danswift wrote:
Danswift's top tip for early morning digging raids on stalls and car boots ?..always take a flashlight,they come in real handy for inspecting the deadwax matrix numbers on vinyl to find out if it's an original,reissue or a bootleg copy.

There are still bargains to be found out there for sure but things have changed dramatically and the majority of people who sell seem to know what they're actually selling nowadays..the internet has also caused the cost of old records to skyrocket and in the main become way overpriced too.

Thanks for the tip, dude. There are definitely some gems waiting to be found... but i agree. it gets harder to get good records for a bargain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 am 

Danswift wrote:

Yea I hate going into a record store with nothing priced , and when you check out they just look it all up on discogs and over charge the shit out of you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:13 am 

Ill Green wrote:
Ghost Bazz wrote:

Dope findings! That Kong vs Godzilla is the american version, very rare. I only find the japanese version, they always reprint it.

Thanks for the info g! I was not aware. I’m a big fan of the Monster Island Czars, so when I saw the cover I knew it was coming home w me. :mrgreen:

SOUNDCLOUD