It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: SPBB346: Halloween Reveal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:30 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/user-425484251-4 ... ooktacular

Congrats to Isihambi. Big ups to all participants!

Psycho killers...

1 Jaytreaze - "All done on sp404sx. Two vox samples from horror; went to town processing drums and turning one of the samples into a semi decent bass. Performed through the pattern sequencer."

2 Run Of The Hind - 'Lights In The Studio' - "Made in a 303 with pattern sequencer. Obligatory mistimed pattern transitions snipped out using Audacity. I accidently adjusted Time on the main sample right in the final furlong and introduced a shitload of clicks (after already working to bury a load with fx, lol). Horrorvox: Dracula, The Omen, Peeping Tom, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, IT and the PTSD-fest that was Ghostwatch."

3 gis_sweden - 404sx

4 Asha c - 404 - "Did 2 but thought 'Fuck it! Chuck 'em both in!'. On the second I played bass guitar throughout and added some Hellraiser and Exorcist samples."

5 IIIII - SP404sx - "Wish I could have fleshed this out more with the other beats I made but it is what it is. Been off the SP for a good while."

6 - dahlia - SP404A

7 - TGN - 808, 404OG, 404mkII

8 - Isihambi - "Chucky" - SP404sx (I assume)

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Last edited by Run Of The Hind on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: SPBB346: Halloween Spooktacular Reveal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:32 pm 

Jaytreaze - This was initially in my top 3 but got inched out at the last minute, soz. Dark, dubby, moody...I love it!

Run Of The Hind - Goes on a bit, dunnit?

gis_sweden - Suitably whacky! Reminds me of like a 90s NIN b-side remix or like a wonkstep Heyfoxymophandlemamathatsme. Me thinks you may've been through a break-up recently? "I thought we'd never get out of that creepy cavern" "At least we got away from that witch!", lolz.

Asha C - Got in my top 3 for the 2nd half. Great sounding drums again. The horrorvox and sax 'metal scrape/train' samples together genuinely gave me the willies!

IIIII - Probs my number one fave. Great groove and atmostphere. Reminds me of a Radiohead/Burial collab. Love the 'turn off the lights' vocal.

dahlia - A lovely, lovely beat, esp for how you isolated the organ into a blues. Would've been a contender for me had the rapappella/feel been more horror-related, however. A potential winner any other week for me, I reckon.

TGN - In my top 3. Esp for the last minute or so, which I think is pure magic. If the track had been just 15:57-17:30 & 20:03 - end (with more made of the end bit and some variations etc before the slow down), it would've been number 1 with a bullet.
Was the beginning a nod to The Prodigy's Hyperspeed (G-Force Part 2) and the W-30?!

Isihambi - V.clever vid. Nice ending, lolz.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Post subject: Re: SPBB346: Halloween Reveal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:00 pm 

I love these anonymous battles, honestly the anticipation of waiting to see who I voted for is as enjoyble for me as hearing them!

Congrat's to isihambi on the win (both the track and that crazy video). Most interesting for me though was my own voting, cause I said at the time there was somehting about track 7 that appeals to my peverse mind, and now that I found out it was TGN, I rest my case.

The dude's a complete and utter weirdo just like me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:55 am 

Good round!!! Isihambi‘S video was very well edited! LOVED how you got chucky playing the SP, amazing!!!

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:46 am 

Thanks everyone!
It was unexpected for me.
Most of all I liked Run Of The Hind - 'Lights In The Studio'.
It's cool!
In the near future I will publish the terms of the next battle.
Should we make it anonymous?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:53 am 

Wow, what a battle, friends! Nothing compares to this forum, really! So advanced skills burried in here, digging themselves out of the dead ground! Pure Love!

Some mentions:

Jaytreaze: Oh Yeah, the classic thrill! Samples fit well, cool drums, swirly, smooth lovely dark vibe! Dope!

Run of the Hind: Wow, great atmosphere! Lots of dream and air! Deep! Punchy drums, Dope arrangement with variations! Really good!

Asha C: First part: Cool vibe, like the sfx,....but man second part is tha bomb: bad ass groovy, krusty drums, simple but effective piano loop, threatening atmosphere, great vocals and man, than the mad lofi e-guitar at the end! Feels like the old LA riot time...

lllll: Fresh groove, drums sound great, the shadow of the lights-vocal fits very well to the background atmo-loop

Isihambi , Wow, great drum work, great arrangement with perfect suspenses/releases/drops, and again a simple but catchy piano-loop - like Asha C, i love such things - , cool and on point use of vocal samples, all fits well, love the scratches! Congratulation!!!

TGN:
In the beginning i was very happy and excited about this helloween battle. I took the vocals from Cronenberg's 'shivers' (1975). But to work something out wasn't that easy for me this time. Drums were recorded into 808 and pitched down a little using the varipitch-function. Melodies and SFX and vocal samples were recorded with 404og (lofi setting). Then i brought all into the mk2 for pattern writing. The drumbeat came out with ease but then in one night i played around with the samples and in the end there were a lot of good patterns based on different samples, but they do not go well together. Probably i smoked too much this night, loosing myself in the pattern loop void. I wanted to bring the whole vocal sample anyways, so i decided to do pattern patchwork, but it took time and effort to get the transitions right. I used the 4-tracks of 808 for arrangement, with heavy use of its wah envelope efx. In the end i run out of time and screwed up the mixdown and overdun the mastering, too (808's total comp efx + 404 vynil sim comp of mk2). :roll: but it was fun to work differently, to orientate myself on the course of the vocal sample, to underline the emotions of the statements with music and atmosphere.:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:12 pm 

Isihambi wrote:
Should we make it anonymous?

Definitely a +1 from me, I personally wish they were all anonymous 8)

TGN wrote:
I took the vocals from Cronenberg's 'shivers' (1975) ...
... to orientate myself on the course of the vocal sample, to underline the emotions of the statements with music and atmosphere.:mrgreen:

Ah yes, good ol' Shivers, where getting a knock on the door by sex-craving women is the norm!
You are a connoisseur of fine movies my friend, a connoisseur!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:44 pm 

When it comes to the poll next time, I'd recommend requesting that people put their choices in order of preference, in case there's a tie break situation, assuming you do the multiple choice thing. At points it looked like we were gonna have one and I regretted not doing that.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:20 pm 

Congrats Isihambi! That video!!!
I'm glad I listened a couple of times before I watched it.
Then I felt like throwing all my votes on you! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:42 pm 

gis_sweden wrote:
Congrats Isihambi! That video!!!
I'm glad I listened a couple of times before I watched it.
Then I felt like throwing all my votes on you! :lol:

Thank you!
My second vote was for you!