6 "Small Blind"  10%  10%  [ 1 ]
7  30%  30%  [ 3 ]
8  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9  10%  10%  [ 1 ]
10 (late entrant, seperate link)  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: SPBB345 Pollingz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:33 am 

What a talented bunch of fuckers you are. Ch-ch-check it out...

https://soundcloud.com/user-425484251-4 ... 45-entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJgny3hnQI

VOTING ENDS MONDAY MORNING UK TIME!!!

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Last edited by Run Of The Hind on Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: SPBB345 Pollingz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:59 am 

Best spbb I’ve heard in a while, sounds like old spforums on a comeback, wish I had time to get on it this round! Will get to voting shortly:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:46 pm 

I knew you guys would lap up that Ohio Players break!

REALLY hard to pick my fave...

1 - Smooth and chilled. Great arrangement. Love the 'machine gun' drums in the 2nd half.

2 - LOVE the chipmunked vocal stuff in the 2nd half. PHAT bass action.

3 - LOVE the middle section where the 'spooky' riff comes in - TOTAL headnod shizz.

4 - Brilliant. Like being in the haunted house of a theme park in the 1950s whilst tripping balls on acid. Dubtastic!

5 - HEAVY hip hoppage. Would've loved it if it had a chorus or interlude section with some more of the samples...and yet I also love its simplicity just as it is too! Hmmmmm... was defo a strong contender for me and very nearly got my vote!

6 "Small Blind" - At first I was like "Dafuq is this?!" but then the 'tomorrow...' vocal drops and everything falls into place and that middle section both makes me bounce my bonce AND tugs a bit on my heart strings. Like what you did with the vox snippets. Thereby got my vote. There were a lot of 'close seconds' in this battle but the feels I got when 'that' middle bit came in tipped it for this one.

7 - Goes on a bit dunnit?!

8 - Niiiiiiiice. Sparse, skeletal d'n'b crossed with wonk-step (I thought I'd just invented that phrase but I looked it up to check and apparently wonk-step is a thing, lolz). Lovely stuff!

9 (video) - Thick with atmostphere!

10 - Wonky goodness!

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

Last edited by Run Of The Hind on Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:48 pm 

Will have a listen after tea tonight and vote, although I'm surpried you gave them such names cause I'm guessing it'll still give away who did what to an extent. I reckon you should've just numbered them 1-10.

Nice turn-out though, and there's even a small chance I might have joined-in myself if I actually had an SP (confirmed faulty, but I'll post about it in a more suitable thread).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:51 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
I'm surpried you gave them such names cause I'm guessing it'll still give away who did what to an extent. I reckon you should've just numbered them 1-10.

By your command.

SP-USER wrote:
if I actually had an SP.

I have a 202 and an MS-1 for sale with your name on, chap. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:21 pm 

I voted the first. Nice drums! Simple and nice loop! Is the track that I heard more than 2 times.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

Run Of The Hind wrote:

Ah man, not again, LMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad you renamed them and I can announce that the much coveted vote from SP-USER this time goes to the mystery artist currently known as "2".

That's right, baby, so now the artist behind track "2" be able to claim that SP-USER be thinkin' they been musical and all (and even while blind-folded all kinky-like)!

Better not be a troll, that's all, I thought they were all good though :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:51 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Run Of The Hind wrote:

Ah man, not again, LMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Discovered thru doing this battle that the percentage way of pitching of the MS-1 isn't as detailed as I'd like, as some of the samples were slightly out of pitch with eachother and I couldn't rectify that, so I bummed out on it (like I know you know how, lolz). Got an Akai S20 coming for pitching/pad mute duties instead.

mkII userz r cheaterz!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:27 pm 

Voted number 7! Enjoyed them all but went with 7! Had a real ‘epic’ feel you get from DJ Shadow, also reminded me of some of the earlier massive attack albums or mobys first album which is all stuff i love! Really liked the overall atmosphere of the track, as well as how the melodies weaved in and out! Enjoyed how the beat kept it moving forward!
Great samples and the beats really reflect that!

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:27 pm 

Nr 7. Agree with asha c :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:48 am 

Was hard to choose between 8 and 9, all of them were bangers though.

Gave my vote to 9, the way they used the vocal sample was ill

https://soundcloud.com/spliffsoldier
https://rickjones757.bandcamp.com/

757 2up2down

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:26 am 

Inspiring round, good job folks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:15 am 

legendary ! samples were great, made some loops but didnt get my shit together in time. was hard to choose but 5 was a good vibe. yall nasty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:48 pm 

I'll be honest 'cause I can. And not just because it's anonymous, (although I LOVE that it's anonymous) but because it's already 2022. Comments might allude to what I mean by that.

1. Nice loop, but a bit 'safe' imo ... maybe a bit tired too, like the timing on the drums is lagging, need forward-momentum...was it pattern-sequencer?

2. Not bad, agree with SP User that this is 'musical' in that structure/arrangement, layering shows some thought. Drums have some forward drive but there isn't much variety/changeup in the drums is there? Baseline was dope.

3. Favourite so far (and I've listened to all these tracks at least 10 times since the poll came out). Drumbeat here reminds me of walking drunk and stepping on my own shoelaces and grinning whenever I stumble!

4. Think I can guess who made this one by the use of djfx on drum elements. Cool to have a 'signature-sound' but it can go both ways in the end. Still very 'musical' with the layering. Hope I'm wrong with who I think it was.

5. Vocal samples used worked really great, esp in combo with drum-elements. It was the interplay here that was the focus, but beyond that, not much going on in this one or use of other elements from the sample pack. Wasn't it a rule to use something from all the files?

6. The thump in the drums was amazing in this - whatever you did to pump the sample breaks, whew! Impressed. Like 5 though, not too much else going on.

7. "Goes on a bit dunnit" +1
Also, "sounds a bit like some music I liked from 25+ years ago" isn't going to get a vote from me either.

8. Ohhh...! Someone who put some work into the drums... Love that it sounds a little like it could have been programmed in 1997, but at the same time the timing is completely off in a way I've never heard before! Whether intentional or not I don't know, but my vote is between this and 3, so far!

9. Not sure what to make of this one... I wasn't sure if it was even an entry at first - just sounds like a couple excerpts from the sample pack got layered?

10. Like this one a lot actually. Some swing was nice to hear among this week's entries. Some thought went into when various elements drop in and out, but in the same way the strings in 2 are there for practically the whole track ( grates on the ears after a bit) the vocal sample used as a rhythm element really overstays its welcome when you hear the track on repeat listens.

Great to hear so many entries. Anonymous is really cool, also weird to me though that the vote is so spread... Is that a result of the anonymity, i wonder?

Anyway, top three were 3, 8 & 10. Just listened to these ones again and as much as I love the drum n bass breakbeat stylings of 8, it's still the wonkiness and vocal chops of 3 that get me grinning ;)

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:47 am 

1- super chill. Nice vocal samples. Nice horn. I liked how they worked together
2-great layering, love how guitar pokes thru. Groovy drums. Great reverbed vocals
3-too quiet… probably shoulda mastered a bit but wanted to do 100% SP
4-love the haunted sounding vocals and super dope bass chops
5-Really nice simple guitar progression. Tasteful acapella and djfx use
6-crunchy and weird just like I like
7-dark and spacious, super cool and creative, love the switch up halfway thru. A bit heavy on the lofi but otherwise perfection
8-superb drum chops and layering. Wanted fatter bass tho!
9-really cool sleepy druggy loop, coulda listened to that whole thing loop again. Maybe with some reversey sounds and the video playing backwards all choppy and maybe negative. Idk. Dope regardless.
10-I really dig this loop, coulda used a bit more variation, maybe just some mutes and fx. And maybe compression

Tough choice, every track was dope but I went with 7 for creativity and vibe
Top tier SP battle! Nice work all around