It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

The Waywardpressman vs Zindan
Poll ended at Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:36 am
The Waywardpressman: https://soundcloud.com/waywardpressman/ ... 1-tiebreak  33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Zindan: https://soundcloud.com/zendanisdead/ass ... tiebreaker  67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Re: SPBB 331: The Tiebreak POLL
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 pm 

Lu Zhishen wrote:
tbh, that's a very naive perspective and incredibly ironic coming from a non-practitioner.

I don't see what's naive about it. I refer to the difference between having a sequencer do the timing for you and doing it yourself. Anyone can punch data into a sequencer, but doing it yourself using your own timing (and doing it well) is surely a skill you don't need if you have a sequencer to do it for you.

My opinion is in no way dismissing sequencers or their use by the way, but off' the top of my head, I'd even go as far as to say that Hip-Hop is probably the perfect genre to religiously practice the avoidance of sequencers.

Zindan turned chicken at the very thought of a 'RESAMPLING ONLY - SINGLE UNIT ONLY' battle, and that's because he's been trashing LoopmantrA's live skills while happily punching-away at his sequencer, so I'd say if anything was naive, that was!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:33 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Lu Zhishen wrote:
tbh, that's a very naive perspective and incredibly ironic coming from a non-practitioner.

I don't see what's naive about it. I refer to the difference between having a sequencer do the timing for you and doing it yourself. Anyone can punch data into a sequencer, but doing it yourself using your own timing (and doing it well) is surely a skill you don't need if you have a sequencer to do it for you.

My opinion is in no way dismissing sequencers or their use by the way, but off' the top of my head, I'd even go as far as to say that Hip-Hop is probably the perfect genre to religiously practice the avoidance of sequencers.

Zindan turned chicken at the very thought of a 'RESAMPLING ONLY - SINGLE UNIT ONLY' battle, and that's because he's been trashing LoopmantrA's live skills while happily punching-away at his sequencer, so I'd say if anything was naive, that was!

this literal retard still thinks "sequencing" = "quantization"
hip hop would NOT EXIST without sequencers (aside from purely beat juggling and MCing) and you're retarded

the fact that you're still logging in under this alt account at this point is honestly just a testament to your deluded psyche

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:44 pm 

Where the fuck did I mention "Quantization" in that post?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:49 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Where the fuck did I mention "Quantization" in that post?

SP-USER wrote:
I refer to the difference between having a sequencer do the timing for you and doing it yourself.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:10 am 

Honestly, how backward are you?

I'm referring to the fact that a sequencer helps you out by affording you to do things with your timing that you would not be able to do very well (if at all) without developing the skills you'd need to do it live and do it well.

What I'm getting at is that the better your finger-drumming skills and timing is, the more skilled you are as a live performer, and it's unfair to punch something into an editable fucking sequencer (quantized or not) and then say "hey dipshit, I just did better than you with the help of a sequencer".

You see the problem there, "dipshit"? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:35 am 

SP-USER wrote:
Honestly, how backward are you?

I'm referring to the fact that a sequencer helps you out by affording you to do things with your timing that you would not be able to do very well (if at all) without developing the skills you'd need to do it live and do it well.

What I'm getting at is that the better your finger-drumming skills and timing is, the more skilled you are as a live performer, and it's unfair to punch something into an editable fucking sequencer (quantized or not) and then say "hey dipshit, I just did better than you with the help of a sequencer".

You see the problem there, "dipshit"? :lol:

uh no you're still misconstruing sequencing as quantization, the sequencer is unquantized by default and doesn't affect timing in any way, shape, or form EXCEPT for allowing two different patterns to be played immediately in succession. you still have to input everything live, and timing is not affected in any way (without quantization). you can take infinite attempts to create a pattern via resample method all the same as creating a pattern in the sequencer. if you make a timing error with the resample method, you simply delete that take and try again. by your logic, the resample method doesn't involve skill as a live performer (finger drummer) for the same reason you are claiming the pattern sequencer doesn't involve skill as a live performer (finger drummer) and nothing would qualify as involving skill as a live performer unless every single element was played live in one take with no exceptions

but hey, you can play make-believe and tell yourself whatever you need to sleep at night. manufacture every excuse possible to justify your ineptitude

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:48 am 

Thanks for the new battle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 am 

SP-USER wrote:
Lu Zhishen wrote:

There’s literally no difference in playing an unquantised sequence with the metronome off at let’s say 98 bpm, to playing a 98bpm 4 over 4 drum pattern on resample and having it loop. Resample is cool but it can get caked pretty quick, I’m personally a sequencer user, helps separate the sounds and you can find a way from there to bring cohesion :) each to their own

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:10 am 

You can do things differently to get the same outcome, as long as it sounds good then nothing rlly matters :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:00 pm 

Fucking hell, bro, let me put it another way. Imagine we give a brand new 404 to two homies, neither of which have ever used a 404 before. We give them a different set of rules to develop some 404 skills, and a whole month in which to do it.

- Homie-1 is permitted use of the sequencer and resampling.
- Homie-2 is permitted use of resampling only.

So the end of the month arrives and it's time to launch a battle between them in order to assess the overall skill developed by each of them. There's a twist though, because it would be unfair to allow Homie-1 the use of the sequencer when Homie-2 was never allowed to do that.

In order to make it fair, we remove Homie-1's permission to make use of the sequencer, and throw them both into a live-performance shoot-out. But hey, hang-on a minute, what's that you say? Did you say "Ah, but Homie-1 spent his time honing his skills with a sequencer so it's unfair to remove his dependence on it at the last minute!"?

Exactly, and you would be right, it would be more like a slaughter-match than a shoot-out because Homie-2 was developing hardcore beat-making skills from the very start, he was only ever allowed to use resampling!

Homie-1 would be in the same position Zindan was in when LoopmantrA quite rightly called him out for his nonsense. I am fully behind LoopmantrA on this, do not regret a word of what I said and I will stand by it religiously. There is nothing anyone will ever say to convince me that beat-makers making the use of a sequencer have any place whatsoever referring to geurrilla-tactic beat-making such as live-performance resampling as "a hack for amateurs".

The polar opposite is true, so for Zindan to use that line against me in order to make himself look correct when he isn't, was bad enough. But to use it on LoopmantrA who actually does this stuff for real, is pretty fucking stupid and I wasn't surprised in the least when Zindan turned chicken after LoopmantrA called him to battle over it.

Even more embarrassing (for those doing the insults), is that even when LoopmantA pointed out he was a live musician to get this point over, the statement was twisted in order to make it look as if it has anything to do with resampling. I think what he's trying to get accross to you numb-nuts is that using a sequencer is cheating in much the same way that programming a fucking concerto into a sequencer and then claiming you're better skilled than one who can actaully pick-up a real violin and play one live, is anywhere near fair.

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more amusing note, it's a shame the battle never went ahead. For me it would have been worth it just to get a look at Zindan. I've always pictured him as some twenty-something with a tuft of hair growing from the middle of his head, wearing square, black-framed glasses and a T-shirt with his avatar printed on it!

But anyway, like I said, I don't have anything against sequencers at all, I use and will continue to use sequencers whenever I need to. What I won't do, though, is kid my-fucking-self that doing so gives me the props to call-out beat-makers who practice the more guerrilla-tactic method that is the purely resampling, live performance workflow.

Peace!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:31 pm 

yo, these battles are for fun and not some sort of Olympic Event.

we going to implement drug testing now too? lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:16 pm 

yeah i read the first couple sentences of your psychotic episode, poopman alt, and you've already invalidated your argument as soon as you set up the analogy with one person not being allowed to use something on the SP. no one ever forced your hand and prevented you from learning how to operate the primordial sequencer on that 404. next thing i know, you're gonna be complaining that no one taught you how to wipe your ass so none of us are allowed to wipe our asses if we want to participate in SPBB. the lengths you're willing to go to in order to save face and protect your ego are beyond irrational.
it's honestly just disturbing at this point

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:38 pm 

I ... AM ... NOT ... LoopmantrA

Peace!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8