It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: SPBB #326
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:22 pm 

Thanks for submitting a track, ellaguru, really appreciate it but is it just me or have you linked to the wrong track? I visited the link but I don't recognise anything about the track and it makes me wonder what Zindan just listened to.

Zindan, but surely that would be the same as calling Necro's track boring because of how he used it. I understand what you mean now that you explained it, but I don't see what's boring about doing that. I just assumed an SPBB involved using the sample creatively on your SP, regardless of how.

But fair enough, would have been nice to see you participate but if it's restricting you in terms of how you normally work then of course I respect that. Like I said, for me it was as much about making the participants use the features of their SP as opposed to using external gear too much. Really doesn't bother me how a participant uses it as long as it's clear they have used it.

That's why I just asked about ellaguru's track, I don't hear a single element from it and I'm wondering if he accidentally copy and pasted the wrong link or something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:36 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Thanks for submitting a track, ellaguru, really appreciate it but is it just me or have you linked to the wrong track? I visited the link but I don't recognise anything about the track and it makes me wonder what Zindan just listened to.

he low passed it.

SP-USER wrote:
Zindan, but surely that would be the same as calling Necro's track boring because of how he used it. I understand what you mean now that you explained it, but I don't see what's boring about doing that. I just assumed an SPBB involved using the sample creatively on your SP, regardless of how.

no it wouldn't, and i already explained why. do you think i'm calling most of my own music boring? get a grip

no one said you violated the rules of SPBB. i only said you provided a boring sample in the context of SPBB, and one of the participants agreed with me.

so far that makes 2 for zindan and 1 for sp-user lmao

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:44 pm 

zendan wrote:
ellaguru wrote:
wow now that's a long discussion, at least this is the first time i see one like that in this section:)

this is my contribution
sp303
https://app.box.com/s/br7k52k52xvrwy7x5qdu1zmhrpsmdn1t
cheers

i'm digging the lowpass!

you've got my vote this round 8)

thanks!:)
waiting for you contribution! (hoping)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 pm 

SP-USER wrote:

But fair enough, would have been nice to see you participate but if it's restricting you in terms of how you normally work then of course I respect that. Like I said, for me it was as much about making the participants use the features of their SP as opposed to using external gear too much. Really doesn't bother me how a participant uses it as long as it's clear they have used it.

That's why I just asked about ellaguru's track, I don't hear a single element from it and I'm wondering if he accidentally copy and pasted the wrong link or something.

i sampled 3 singles different notes (between the ones without rythms at the beginning); then i timestreched (Time/Bpm)+pitched down (Chromatic Pitch effect) them; then i played as a new harmony, resampled them, building a new loop; then, as Zindan said, i filtered them with Isolator effect (low and hi).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:16 pm 

yah the sample was garbage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:16 pm 

IIIII wrote:

sorry, is garbage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:28 pm 

Zindan, why so edgy, I already said I understand what you mean now!

I still don't agree with you, and I still think the sample is as valid as anything else that has been put up here. You clearly had a different technique in mind than I was thinking, and the technique you had in mind is equally valid, so like I said, no worries dude! It's best you don't participate in this SPBB anyway if your heart's not in it, and obviously it isn't on this occassion.

Just don't blame the sample, only lamers blame the sample :mrgreen:

ellaguru, I should have pointed out in the rules that the track should contain recognisable elements of the source sample, but I didn't, that's my fault and your contibution is perfectly valid, so no worries dude and thanks for submitting the beat.

You're like a musical chameleon, some disguise, I thought you'd given the wrong link :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:41 am 

SP-USER wrote:
ellaguru, I should have pointed out in the rules that the track should contain recognisable elements of the source sample, but I didn't, that's my fault and your contibution is perfectly valid, so no worries dude and thanks for submitting the beat.

this sentiment goes against everything that SPBB stands for

IIIII wrote:

zindan - 3
sp-user - 1

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:31 am 

Fuck me, we've even got colour-coded stats now so I MUST be wrong - how embarassing :oops:

Zindan, it's clear this one's beyond your scope of imagination and that's fair enough, so just give it a rest dude. I do understand, honest I do, but the more you post pointless bullshit about how Zindan is winning in the opinion poles, the more I prove the point of sorting the men from the boys.

You have a sample based on the work of one of THE world's most respected composers for fuck sake, one that has been worked-over by another super-talented and highly respected composer! The sample is fine dude, just fine, and at the end of the day you are free to take any part of that sample and reject the rest, just as Necro did with Melissa for his own track. I'm going to keep using Necro and how he made perfect use of Melissa for his track, as a perfect example of why I am calling complete and utter bullshit on this.

You can't hide from it, the problem is YOU and YOUR lack of imagination, it's NOT the fucking sample, bro, so stop embarrasing yourself hoping that people with insufficient talent will somehow make your opinion valid. It'll never make your opinion valid and you have an example of why that is.

You said yourself you like the song, so all you really had to say was:
"Nah, nice song, but it doesn't really suit the way I work so I'll pass on this one.",

But instead, you chose to (and continue to) blame the sample. Not gonna lie dude, there's part of me hoping there's someone out there with both the skill and imagination to come along with a beat good enough to wipe that smugness right off your face. It doesn't even have to be epic, it just has to prove you wrong, that would be justice enough. The ONLY thing the lack of a worthy beat would prove, is that no one here managed to produce one that is worthy, it really is as simple as that.

It means nothing else dude, no matter how many times you say it and no matter how many beat-makers on this forum agree with you. Your comment IS absolute bullshit, and I'm going to continue holding-up Necro's work as PROOF that your comment IS absolute bullshit.

Come back when you reach puberty, and try again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:39 am 

SP-USER wrote:
You have a sample based on the work of one of THE world's most respected composers for fuck sake, one that has been worked-over by another super-talented and highly respected composer!

the top pop hits of yester-century 8)

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:58 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
zendan wrote:
SP-USER wrote:
ellaguru, I should have pointed out in the rules that the track should contain recognisable elements of the source sample

+1

SP-USER is completely missing the point of how battling and sample challenges actually work and not just here on SP FORUMS .

The whole point of working with the source material provided is to FLIP THAT BASTARD AND FLIP IT HARD.. this is how it works..plain and simple as that .

And the real heads on here,who actually own SP samplers understand that process.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 am 

zendan wrote:
SP-USER wrote:

i agree with Zendan
i think that every techique should be valid until it's made on the SP...i've listned many times since 2009 many beats or tracks wich made original samples totally unrecognisible (but then the question: what is creativity? i don't want to open another debate, sorry:) )

SP-USER wrote:
You're like a musical chameleon, some disguise, I thought you'd given the wrong link :lol:

: ))

Danswift wrote:
The whole point of working with the source material provided is to FLIP THAT BASTARD AND FLIP IT HARD.. this is how it works..plain and simple as that

yes, one of the point i've learned on making battles was the fact to try to be able to use at maximum the SP in order to learn or share new sonic techniques or tactis.
ps
one other point i've learned is that battles is not only focused on making a nice track, it's important for learning/sharing how to do stuff on the SPs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:34 pm 

Seems Danswift has made himself useful, I just wish he'd said it earlier.

For starters, I had no idea that SPBB's were traditionally meant as a way to mangle a sample into oblivion and hide the source, which is what I'm getting from the recent posts here. My apologies for that, I've never picked up on that aspect of it. You can't hurt my feelings by having a pop at me about my own SP skills though, cause I don't own an SP right now and even if I still had the 404, I cannot be expected to have the skills and memory muscle that some of the beat-makers on here have developed.

So hands-up, my apologies, but I do still feel that if I had pointed-out in the rules that I expect to be able to recognise the source sample, then surely I could expect that the wishes for my own SPBB would be respected by the participants. So like I said, sorry about that, I wasn't clear about it in the rules because I just assumed it was obvious.

Hats off to ellaguru for flipping the living shit out of the sample, he made such a good job of it I wondered what the fuck I was listening to! On the basis of what I was hoping for though, I have to say that Sparkledougless has gotten closest to what I meant, because I could recognise the sample. Honestly, while I'm sure you lot think I'm being some sort of asshole, that's not true and if you could see the silly smile on my face when I heard Sparkedougless' beat, you would realise it.

It brought a smile to my face because regardless of it being sloppy, it intrigues me to hear what comes from the mind of someone else when they use a track I am personally fond of myself. I just find it very interesting when people do that, and it's why I was so pleased when LoopmantrA let me have the battle, cause let's face it, the chances of me actually winning one of these battles is fucking zero the way things are going for me right now, and the shitty luck I'm having with "gear" just lately is starting to fry my brain!

So that's really all there is to it for me, and why I wanted to be able to recognise the sample, there's nothing more to it than that, no hidden motive, no wish to discredit anyone (the opposite is true). It's just genuine curiosity and I honestly thought you'd all be like ... Wow, I'm all over this!

It's because I was expecting the sample to be used in the same sort of way Necro used Melissa, and personally I don't see why the beat-makers here are having difficulty with that. It's not asking you to mangle the sample into oblivion, sure, but it is asking you to be creative with your SP, and be clever enough to make it work with your own input.

Wasn't meant to be easy, just a bit of fun, something to take you out of your comfort zone :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:45 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
"Seems Danswift has made himself useful, I just wish he'd said it earlier".

Weak sauce ...

It doesn't need saying if you already know it's gospel ..that's Hip Hop, homie ...that's how it works .

If you know you know...

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:17 pm 

Well to be fair it is called a "Beat Battle", not a "Sample Battle" :shock:

And unless I'm very much mistaken, Hip-Hop is based on using elements of other artist's music!

But since you fucked-up big-time on both counts with that reply, I feel forced to go back to assuming you're just not capable of producing a beat worthy of the sample. Seems you don't possess the skills necessary for this particular battle, but I'm happy to take that statement back should you prove me wrong by the 19th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next