It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

Post subject: !!Special Edition SPBB!!: What's First, Drums or Samples?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 am 

This battle is only open to LoopmantrA and zendan, and is intended to settle the beef that originally occurred here: http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26424

Standard OG battle rules apply. Use only the provided track with no outside material. All SP. Computer only allowed for final EQ/Comp on SP master recording.

The term of the battle is one week from the posting date. The loser has agreed to leave the forum for a year. LoopmantrA and zendan, please let me know if I left anything out. I think this sample should suffice, but I'll leave it up to the community to decide if the provided material is fair or objectionable.

The beats will be PM'ed to me, and then I can upload them to box so they are voted on without bias. All votes need to be accounted for by name to be considered valid, due to the high-stakes nature of this competition.

https://app.box.com/s/jlpqufougxuidya54anhv993i4zpyssm
Attachment:
Ron Carter, Peg Leg.jpeg
Ron Carter, Peg Leg.jpeg [ 39.67 KiB | Viewed 7898 times ]

SOUNDCLOUD

Post subject: Re: !!Special Edition SPBB!!: What's First, Drums or Samples
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:46 pm 

i bounce when i make beats, is that straight?

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:13 pm 

If it’s a tie, both if you have to meetup and kiss. Maybe even jerk each other off if it mood is right.

That was part of the OG rules since the beginning of time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm 

zendan wrote:

I think we can keep this fair and objective. There will only be 3 people with knowledge of who made which beat, and none of us will be voting.

If neither of you has any objections, I think we will consider this to be officially underway. You both good with the rules and sample?

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:18 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:
You both good with the rules and sample?

Oh yeah.
I totally agree with the idea of beats being anonymous, it's fair.

Sample is long, chock full of sounds, not a lot of one shot single sounds, and - due to the tempo - they're short as well, gonna be a true challenge

In other words, I'm loving it bAzz!
Nice selection.
Gonna dig in right now

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:26 am 

ghost bazz wrote:
zendan wrote:

I think we can keep this fair and objective. There will only be 3 people with knowledge of who made which beat, and none of us will be voting.

If neither of you has any objections, I think we will consider this to be officially underway. You both good with the rules and sample?

yeah the sample's dope as fuck. great selection, bazz, thank you for that
i'm sorry so can i bounce when i make the beat?
i'm gonna make it on my 303 and i gotta bounce for effects processing cus i use pattern sequencer

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 pm 

It’s hard for me to say no to that, but after re-reading the rules I found that they address that on the first page. The rules say, no. BUT I think the arena has moved away from that in recent times. The rules also say 1 SP only, but I think the arena has also moved away from that limitation recently.

Can u bounce to ur 404?

Do u guys both have multiple SP’s?

I’d b inclined to say, multiple SP’s is allowed, and bouncing can be done between SP units as long as u both have multiple SP’s.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:14 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:
It’s hard for me to say no to that, but after re-reading the rules I found that they address that on the first page. The rules say, no. BUT I think the arena has moved away from that in recent times. The rules also say 1 SP only, but I think the arena has also moved away from that limitation recently.

Can u bounce to ur 404?

I’d b inclined to say, multiple SP’s is allowed, and bouncing can be done between SP units as long as u both have multiple SP’s.

could you link me to the rules?? i can't seem to find them for some reason
so no bouncing to tape? that's a bummer

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm 

zendan wrote:
ghost bazz wrote:

Can u bounce to ur 404?

could you link me to the rules?? i can't seem to find them for some reason
so no bouncing to tape? that's a bummer

http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=764

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:54 pm 

yeah i thought those were the rules, but i was tripping and swore there was a different set of rules.... anyway i'm pretty sure bouncing off tape falls under "External mastering (E.Q., compression) is ok but don't rearrange anything."
wouldn't it?

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:39 pm 

No. The very first question is about bouncing and it’s addressed pretty clearly. The EQ and Comp can be applied to the final master output from ur SP.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:
No. The very first question is about bouncing and it’s addressed pretty clearly. The EQ and Comp can be applied to the final master output from ur SP.

"I know you made the exception for the 202- but can you record from your sp into an external recorder and back into the sp - so you can sample a sequence."
so if i make it on my 202 i can bounce off tape?

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 pm 

they never made it an official rule that you can't bounce it looks like

iG9 wrote:
hmm well if it was just up to me i'd say no, cause it seems like it violates the spirit of SP only. then we start having to factor in "well can i use my external midi controller" and stuff like that. then again, i'm curious what other people think about this and if there seems to be a consensus in favor then i have no problem with it. i'm really trying not to be the one inventing the rules, that's why i ran the polls, but it's all good baby.

one dude asked and the guy who made the original rules post said he doesn't care either way it's up to the forum

and he says
iG9 wrote:
but it's all good baby.
which implies bouncing is allowed

also i completely disagree with the slippery slope argument here "well can i use my external midi controller" because a recorder isn't an instrument. it's just putting the sound in another spot so you can put it back in the first spot lol

i'ma wait till loopmantra replies and see what he thinks lmao

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:38 am 

It’s super clear when I read it. Juxt asks if bouncing outside the SP is cool... first question in the thread. He gets an answer of no, and then agrees. Do u not have more than 1 SP to bounce between?

If Loopmantra is good w it then I guess it’s fine. U guys can agree on specific changes if that’s how u want to do it.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 am 

ghost bazz wrote:
No man. It’s super clear when I read it. Juxt asks if bouncing outside the SP is cool... first question in the thread. He gets an answer of no, and then agrees. Do u not have more than 1 SP to bounce between?

If Loopmantra is good w it then I guess it’s fine. U guys can agree on specific changes if that’s how u want to do it.

the dude that wrote the rules clearly says "if it's up to me i'd say no, but it's up to the forum. and, i don't want to write all the rules myself, so it's whatever"
the guy that asked the question initially had no authority alone on the matter, he just says he doesn't think it should be allowed either. there was never a vote, and there's no definitive rule about it. it's a shame.

but yeah, i'm just going to wait and see what fupa mantra says. if he thinks it shouldn't be allowed, i won't do it. even though that's how everyone has made beats since day one, since the first digital samplers, since the first hip hop beats ever recorded, up until the 2000s when other options became available

IIIII wrote: