It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

Post subject: Do your own shit.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:17 pm 

Now don't get me wrong. I too, have drum packs i have either bought or downloaded for free on the internet... But being a student of Dilla, Madlib and listening to a lot of original music... I think it's vital as a producer to acquire your own sound. You can only go so far with it. For example, you can't say you have the same sound if two different producers use Fender Rhodes Mark 1 (although you can run different effects to your instrument to make it sound a tad different than others) But thinks like drums... I think producers should collect their own drum sounds.

My question is how many people have collected their own sounds?

can you give a brief explanation on how you did it?

I watch an interview with Pete Rock and he explains how he gets drum sounds off records. I do that but i don't necessarily want to do that all the time. I still sample, but i want to do it less and create more ORIGINAL content. I do not know if i were to sample a kick drum sound from a record and be called out for copyright infringement.

I was considering going to a studio and record live drums, personally. Even then, I don't want anyone to be able to replicate my sound. Just like how you can never replicate Dilla/Madlibs sound

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Do your own shit.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm 

Im not into the whole buying drum kits or anything, its lame Imo. Everything I've acquired is through vinyl or equipment such as a pocket operator. I was fortunate enough to have coworker who plays drums send me some one shots or try to replay some classic breaks for me.

You can make sampled drums your own by how you filter, EQ and layer them.

https://soulchoppa.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 pm 

Ah!

I heard Damu the Fudgemunk say the same thing... I'm just really concerned about Copyright infringement. Dudes get sued for 4 second samples.

Gotta go digging for records again soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 pm 

thesisdrs wrote:
Ah!

I heard Damu the Fudgemunk say the same thing... I'm just really concerned about Copyright infringement. Dudes get sued for 4 second samples.

Gotta go digging for records again soon.

True, I don't worry about that shit though. Although Ive heard of happening, I can't imagine someone listening to a beat and being like "thats MY hi hat !" I refuse to let greedy labels place constraints on my art. All the legal stuff comes second to my music

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 pm 

SOUL CHOPPA wrote:
True, I don't worry about that shit though. Although Ive heard of happening, I can't imagine someone listening to a beat and being like "thats MY hi hat !" I refuse to let greedy labels place constraints on my art. All the legal stuff comes second to my music

A lot of beats I make are loops lol I'm still gonna sample... but when i make original music, i want it to be 100% original. I don't wanna chop up a drum break and layer it and have people find out where i got one of my layers from and consider it a sample. I go to whosampled.com religiously and I notice that even when producers alter the simplest of sounds, people still find the record and credit it. If i'm sampling, I don't care... but now i'm considering going to a studio and play drums my damn self.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm 

I want to get a drum set too :) I wish space wasn't an issue.

I refuse to use loops or presets or sample packs (but it doesn't bother me that other people do).

Since I don't sample off you tube & only make my own sounds or get them from vinyl (but I have to find it myself) I admit when I first got into beat making my beats were really bad...... But I also learned a lot & my beats got better (especially once I built up a good sample library).

I refused to buy "drum break" vinyl as well & had to find the drum breaks myself on records I bought, so it took forever to collect drum breaks. I finally decided to buy a couple drum break records....I wanted some good drums. I'm really glad I did too.

I either layer drum breaks with other drum breaks or layer them with drum synths......or both.......Of course I chop up the drum breaks so sometimes I'll combine sounds from like 4 different drum breaks.....sometimes I layer drum breaks with sounds I make myself (clapping, punching or stomping on wood, you can get sounds from almost anything) or my brothers beat boxing......eq &/or filter to taste........I try layering sounds that compliment each other, like a synth kick with a big boom, short decay & a kick from a drum break, long decay......I just go by ear..... I use my own shakers sometimes, also have some wood stick things that have a cool sound (I use for background percussion).

& really the only reason I'm strict on myself about the sounds I use is because I love this so much & I find it so interesting, I want to learn everything about it. I love to build skill & love love experimenting......I want to be proud of what I made. Making a fire beat has never been most important to me. Due to this my progress has been slow when it comes to quality of beats but progress in skill & knowledge has been great. Plus my beats are getting better :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 pm 

there are certain sounds you can only achieve on your own . for example . that classic Kanye Snare didnt exist before whoever sorted it into existance . its called signature . its not what you do but how you do itfor example .. anybody can use a set of 808 sounds . its how you add your own tweaks to get an adaptive sound that nobody else has a 'copy ' of

stack them customs . build a library .

DJ Quik supllied the drum sounds for 'In The Club' 50 Cent . big hit . very distinct

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 pm 

THEGREAT wrote:

DJ Quik supllied the drum sounds for 'In The Club' 50 Cent . big hit . very distinct

Whats so special about the drums on that track ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 pm 

have you heard them drums since . can you or me access them drums from source? .. you could argue those drums made the track.

from the drum up .. defines how the beat is made ( if you operate on that basis ) .. its as significant as the drums in Phil Collins Feel It In The Air . the foundation allows what will be there after

also .. to answer on a different note . to me . the drums are definately not stock drums. you could consider them the precursor to alot of the sounds producers started using beyond that time period

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 pm 

very interesting reply's y'all.

I am definitely considering tapping into my inner foley artist and use random sounds and layering them with other sounds to create the ultimate original drum kit.

use some effects either from the SP or my DAW (or both)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:40 pm 

^ yes

i heard somewhere . Aphex Twin is noted as sampling daffodils .. how in the fuck .. lol

note . Musique concrète

all kinds of experimentation of everyday sounds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 pm 

A field recorder could come in handy.

I was also considering using the SP's built in condenser mic as a field recorder... but i notice if your not recording something directly into the mic, it won't sound good. Perhaps a Dynamic mic is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 pm 

I decided to get a field recorder as well. Right now I record stuff into a condenser mic at home, which works great, but I really want to get sounds from outside & other places....... so many great sounds outside!!!

I think you would like it Thesisdrs, you can get a lot of interesting textures recording random sounds......either to layer with samples or to just play in the background (like walking thru dry leaves...........crunchy crunch thru out the background of your beat giving a natural bounce)

I love pitching things waaaaayyy down too, it really brings the textures out ....& the creepy vibes :) If you want creepy vibes that is.

& you can use the field recorder for other things, like plug the output of your sp into it & record your live playing (you mentioned liking small portable gear to take on the move, a field recorder would be perfect) & then you can plug it into your DAW to transfer beats or just sounds (I think by usb or maybe memory card).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 am 

Yup. The elements of the outdoors could add textures to your music.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:22 am 

Yea...sorry, I got a little excited talkin about it, i kno im not sayin nothing you dont already kno....I ordered a tascam dr-40 this weekend & ive been wanting a handheld recorder for a while now :)