It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

Post subject: Cooking with the SP202: 808 Lo​-​Fi recipes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 pm 

Hey guys,

I made a sample pack this weekend and wanted to share. It's kinda dumb to share it in an SP forum since it's just an SP pack lol but if you are lacking an SP202, here I'm.

I run an 808 through the SP202 using its four sampling modes and this is the result. I'm experimenting with it but mixing different sampling modes gives some really nice textures that I would not get by just sampling one and jamming on the SP.

So, here is the link: https://calltheforest.bandcamp.com/albu ... i-recipes1

And here are some codes so you guys can redeem it for free: https://imgur.com/07rBa3k

Please, let me know if the codes run out. I will post more. It's just that I'm trying to find some plugs and sharing some codes to get momentum on Reddit. But if you guys need more, just ask, I will post :)

Oh, any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by forest on Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cooking with the SP202: 808 Lo​-​Fi recipes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

thx man!
I used zbrz-[...]
cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:22 am 

Not dumb at all, man. It took you time to sample all these.
I have a 202 and a ton of 808's but I grabbed it anyways. vd2e-v676
Crash LF2 sounds like some ancient crypt being opened! :twisted:

I haven't got a chance to use your tape loop chords yet, but I might have to use them with these. :wink:

You ever tried making your own drums by layering, eq'ing, and compressing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 am 

I used the loops some days ago, it's kinda a fast workflow to just drop chords into the songs like that. I'm totally new to recording my sounds to use and re-use later and I'm liking it. I always scrapped everything I did after the song was done lol.

About the drums, do you mean a kit? Like I said, I always scrapped everything I used in songs, so, not really. Sometimes I layer drums, sometimes I forget... I'm kinda new to this, so, still a lot of things to really learn.

Please, if you have some time, expand the question XD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 pm 

Yeah, that's what I meant was making your own kits.

I used to stack drum sounds on top of each other for years and I thought I was layering, I mean that can help you beef up individual hits that are weak, but you can really craft a particular sound if you filter or eq out the parts you don't want and keep what you do.

I do this all the time when I start a project in Ableton. I'll dig through kick drums and find one that I like the low sustain on, the 'boom'. But I might not like the top end, the highs. So, I throw a EQ eight on it, and do a high-shelf or high-cut filter and sweep the freq range down to where it takes just the highs off or even some of the mid-highs. Then I dig for a kick that has a 'punch' or 'knock' that I like. I play it with the other kick, and throw another EQ eight on it and do the opposite, cut the low end. Then play with pitching the 2 up or down to see if they fit together better. Then maybe readjust the EQ's. Then I will compress them together with the glue compressor (or any standard compressor will work) to my liking and blam! there's a new kick. I've used up to 4 kicks to make one really awesome textured kick and like 6 snares/claps/percs to make one crunchy snare. Use effects on the different layers, slightly change the timing on when they hit together, or whatever. You would be surprised on how many commercial sample packs there are for sale where that is all they did to make those drums, using someone else's drums also. Also using non-drums sounds to make drums is a lot of fun. Layer some breaking glass with a snare. Or someone beating on a trash dumpster with a layered kick drum.

Just giving you some ideas since you are getting into making sample packs.
Here's a video with some more tips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7Dli39tJA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 pm 

Man, thanks for all the info. Yeah, I just think about stacking it up, this video that you sent me opened a big window. Sometimes I stack two kicks and just cut some EQ and stuff but this guy in the video is on another level, I will start to study it. And yeah, I really think that I will like a lot the experimental part of it.

In this 808 I almost tweaked some stuff, but the mindset was to deliver what I sampled so the person could do whatever from that point ahead. I think I could have used more volume and some frequency tweak, but I would be altering it too much and would get away from the idea of it. I want to improve it... I was thinking about doing it again with the 909 just to really get the hang of the thing. I will see...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 am 

It's cool you ran those drums through all the different sample grades. I like having the raw sounds and some that are polished up already. I was just giving you food for thought when you decide to make your own kits.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:11 pm 

Hey, is this still working? It would be nice to try those drums, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:53 pm 

Yep, still working :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 am 

forest wrote:
Yep, still working :)

Thanks! I think the link is wrong but I was able to find it.
Great share. Thanks a lot.